• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

Also, you don't want to get a reputation for firing coaches after two or three years. I don't understand how that's a hard concept for fans to Grasp. If we were to fire Danny or even redacted for that matter, after 3 years then we would have a reputation for burning through coaches and quite frankly we're Wake Forest and can't afford that reputation.

Don’t say such common sense too loudly around here. You might get accused of being an AD bootlicker or some other such nonsense.

Also, you don't want to get a reputation for firing coaches after two or three years. I don't understand how that's a hard concept for fans to Grasp. If we were to fire Danny or even redacted for that matter, after 3 years then we would have a reputation for burning through coaches and quite frankly we're Wake Forest and can't afford that reputation.

Yeah, that would have been SO MUCH WORSE than the last 10 years...you know, he worst 10 years in ACC history. Thank God we didn't sully our reputation!!!!

He was talking about me. He took my saying redacted wouldn't get fired until at least the end of third year as supporting him that long.

But be nice to Racer. He needs someone to be his friend.

Dude, you're lying again. You overtly supported [Redacted] the first 3 years.

WF went to the NCAA tournament in Manning's 3rd year. He wasn't getting fired then. It was WF's first NCAA bid in 8 seasons; anyone contending that Manning should've been fired after three years is a clown.

The earliest Manning would've/should've been fired was after last season. Based upon information available, it appears that Manning's ridiculous contract and the transition to a new AD at least partially explained why he survived an additional year. A change is about to be made. Pointless to stamp your feet and whine that the move should've been made sooner. The most important thing is that WF hires the right replacement.

WF went to the NCAA tournament in Manning's 3rd year. He wasn't getting fired then. It was WF's first NCAA bid in 8 seasons; anyone contending that Manning should've been fired after three years is a clown.

The earliest Manning would've/should've been fired was after last season. Based upon information available, it appears that Manning's ridiculous contract and the transition to a new AD at least partially explained why he survived an additional year. A change is about to be made. Pointless to stamp your feet and whine that the move should've been made sooner. The most important thing is that WF hires the right replacement.

And the issue of having Brandon as a Senior while having fired Randolph. It just was a bad situation.

We have certainly proved that 'fire coaches to quickly' reputation wrong. We are more of a '6 years of coaching, plus another $15 mm buyout' suckers reputation.

Hahaha and we STILL can’t get good coaches!

I didn't think I'd have add this, but I will. Inherent in my earlier statement is the "buyout" is not going to stop anything and has been put to rest.

Dude, you aren’t allowed to take a victory lap on something you are wrong about. That’s not how it works.

If the buyout weren’t an issue, he’d have been gone last year. And there wouldn’t be a need for complicated (apparently) negotiations... You’d just fire the guy and move on.

The real issue will be if we can’t afford top level candidates due to what we owe Manning.

But, as always, we’ll never know the full story because it’s all kept private. Will just have to read the tea leaves.

Right now those tea leaves are saying Manning is gone... It’s just a matter of when. I’d guess after the ACC tourney, but it sounds like many around here (including you) think it’ll be next week. That’d be great!

A snag. Ha! I take that to mean he wants all of the money that is owed to him under the terms of his contract. Tough to blame him.

I don’t want to hear about any snags. We signed the unbelievably incompetent contract, which isn’t Manning’s fault. If he doesn’t want to budge pay him the full amount and move on. I want no excuses, no extenuating circumstances. Just get it done. Currie has to have raised the full amount before beginning negotiations. It has been his only real job the last 10 months.

This is where I remind you that you stuck by the idea that [Redacted] and Manning were good coaches far longer than most.

I was the same for Manning and I’ll always admit that.

That being said, I will probably not be overly excited for anyone that has been mentioned outside of Beilein, Matta, and Shaka. Wake basketball is in too deep a hole to not fork out what’s needed to get a top tier coach.

It’s not unreasonable to stand behind a coach for 4 years, especially one who is running a clean program. NOBODY would want to take our job if we treated coaches like a 3 year car lease.

Racer, you are a smart dude and you know this to be true. I agree with you that we have nothing to show for it after 10 years, but the fact we treated Bzzz and Daniel with such a long leash is going to put us in the best position to reel in a quality coach.

I say all of that because yeah, it was obvious to most everyone after a few years that neither coach was going to work out. but after Dino, you at least had to give buzz 4 years. After buzz, you at least had to give Danny 4/5 years. Fortunately it’s finally coming to an end.

Dude, you aren’t allowed to take a victory lap on something you are wrong about. That’s not how it works.

If the buyout weren’t an issue, he’d have been gone last year. And there wouldn’t be a need for complicated (apparently) negotiations... You’d just fire the guy and move on.

The real issue will be if we can’t afford top level candidates due to what we owe Manning.

But, as always, we’ll never know the full story because it’s all kept private. Will just have to read the tea leaves.

Right now those tea leaves are saying Manning is gone... It’s just a matter of when. I’d guess after the ACC tourney, but it sounds like many around here (including you) think it’ll be next week. That’d be great!

You couldn't be more wrong about the highlighted statement. You simply don't know what you are talking about but keep talking.

RJ, please stop ruining this thread, too. Thanks in advance!

Why should Manning negotiate anything? Wake signed that fucking contract, and now you honor it. Case closed.

It’s not unreasonable to stand behind a coach for 4 years, especially one who is running a clean program. NOBODY would want to take our job if we treated coaches like a 3 year car lease.

Racer, you are a smart dude and you know this to be true. I agree with you that we have nothing to show for it after 10 years, but the fact we treated Bzzz and Daniel with such a long leash is going to put us in the best position to reel in a quality coach.

I feel like you've created this narrative to make yourself feel better, even though there's really no evidence of it. You really think we'd be in a worse place if we'd fired [Redacted] after Y1/Y2/Y3 than we are now? We are in an absolute shit place. We have a huge buyout, no players, no success to build on and we've been the worst team in the league over the last decade. Pretending like this has put us in a strong position is just made up bullshit, like a story you tell a child to help them sleep better after a bad dream.

Back