• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning Buyout Negotiations Have Begun

https://twitter.com/julianbenbow/status/1242192987922337795

That statement from the BC AD is as close to saying, we are keeping our coach due to Coronavirus as you could possibly say.

if there is a basketball season next year it is hard seeing BC being better than this year.
They lose Thornton, Popvic, and Jared Hamilton.
They already have Jairus Hamilton and Chris Herren in the transfer portal.

They only guy over 6'7 who plays on the roster is Steffon Mitchell. They may outshort VT next season.
They have the Langford brothers and hopefully a healthy Tabbs.
I'm waiting to see which of VT or BC goes 5 guards first next season.

As someone who has fired more than my share of people, you never wait to fire someone that you know is going to be fired. There is no perfect day to do it - there are always concerns about "who is going to replace them", "how do we get their work done", "what is the severance", etc., you can come up with excuses all day long why it isn't a good time to fire someone. So the correct answer is that you do it as soon as you justifiably know it is never going work out and you sort out the consequences later, whatever they are. Keeping them longer than necessary only breeds more toxicity and simply increases the complexity of the consequences, which is exactly what has happened here. Currie has majestically failed HR 101. He has had 11 months to do and didn't pull the trigger because of this excuse or that excuse when anyone with a brain knew it wasn't working out, and now we are likely stuck with this shitshow for yet another year. Complete failure on his part.

Absolute worst-case scenario was that he fires Manning, doesn't pay the buyout, and let the lawyers sort it out in a year or two and settle for some amount on the dollar. That happens EVERY DAMN DAY, yet he has been too much of a pussy to take a stand, and now we are stuck here.

Amen!!! Preach it brother...

Hey 2&2, what is the sum total of money your firm has paid in buyouts to all those people you've fired ?

I think we can all agree that the buyout was a significant issue a month ago. Throw in a GLOBAL economic collapse and where's the mystery here? NOBODY is firing/hiring head coaches right now given we don't know when school will resume.

The Dr Fauci's of the world see no end in sight, yet you expect hyper-conservative WFU to fire and hire a coach right now???

Two class of ‘21 players posted about offers from WFU... That’s another sign that Manning may be returning.

I have no sources, but taking a step back and reviewing everything we know leads to one conclusion: Manning is coming back. This is terrible.

https://twitter.com/julianbenbow/status/1242192987922337795

That statement from the BC AD is as close to saying, we are keeping our coach due to Coronavirus as you could possibly say.

if there is a basketball season next year it is hard seeing BC being better than this year.
They lose Thornton, Popvic, and Jared Hamilton.
They already have Jairus Hamilton and Chris Herren in the transfer portal.

They only guy over 6'7 who plays on the roster is Steffon Mitchell. They may outshort VT next season.
They have the Langford brothers and hopefully a healthy Tabbs.
I'm waiting to see which of VT or BC goes 5 guards first next season.

Assuming no more transfers, VT will be taller next season. A 6-8 kid who redshirted after following Young from Wofford will help and they just got a commit from from another 6-8 guy. B.J. Mack (another PF) who committed to VT originally before landing at ECU is now in the portal. It will be interesting to see if there is any mutual interest again. Mack decommitted about the same time as the Langely brothers who HOF Wes landed at UNCG when Buzz was the coach.

we are going to be so bad next year , it may even be the worst season of manning's tenure. The Joel is going to be empty and not because of social distancing. What fans we do have left are going to hate Manning and question Currie. It's just a toxic recipe brewing. I've followed WFU my whole life including the last 10 years when it hasn't been easy, but I'm just not sure I can keep my fandom going. This shit is wearing me out.

What I am having trouble with is WHY Manning would want to come back. The fanbase has turned against him, this year's attendance records show that. His record speaks for itself. He could walk away from the headache that has been a constant burden to him for years and do so with enough money to never work again if he so chose. An NBA asst. coaching job would probably be offered if he cared. I just can't imagine working somewhere where I was despised especially if they offered me golden parachute out.

This is all just so hard to fathom.

Danny Manning's record would've gotten him fired at the worst program in the MEAC by this point.

It's an absolute disgrace that there's a street named after the fucking jackwagon.

This is all just so hard to fathom.

I cannot fucking believe this.

I cannot fucking believe this.

I seem to recall Deacon Club donations drying up significantly after ’08. Do they think this will help? They can’t afford not to fire him.

I seem to recall Deacon Club donations drying up significantly after ’08. Do they think this will help? They can’t afford not to fire him.

the ad probably is aware it’s a bad long term move, but they might just not have enough cash on hand to buy him out

Probably waiting until the Deacon Club year has ended May 31st to announce he is staying.

Bizarro world:

Dino 30 games OVER .500 overall record and fired.
DFL 50 games UNDER .500 ACC record and.... retained??! :dumb:

Back