• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning's lineups and subs

...you have two pretty legit 4's and you need one of them to play minutes at the 3. Maybe Collins is a better true 4 but Dinos stretches the floor and can take over games at times. Collins and Devin are likely going to struggle to play together since they're so similar. By ACC time Collins will likely be a better defender than Dinos.

My guess is that Collins is destined to be the 6th man this year just because of the team makeup. But he certainly has to start getting more minutes soon from somewhere.

Think this might be better served here as I think Manning may have missed an opportunity to not only prepare for the new rules with a new wrinkle but also develop a contingency for the stretch of time he knew he'd be without CMM and Hudson:

Again, I'm a firm proponent, especially early this season without CMM (and to a lesser extent Crab) that we should have been working on getting these guys prepared to play an aggressive, long-armed, extended 3-2 or 1-3-1 with Collins at the point of this zone. Utilize his athleticism along with G-Mc's to play this defensive role and let Dinos and DT/DM camp out on the low blocks / baseline. Ya we might be vulnerable in the corners or on the wings with good ball movement, but I think having Collins, BC and eventually CMM and Hudson at the top of an aggressive zone would do wonders for this team. Then you can play more of your best 5 at a time and cause more T/O's and easy buckets. Although rebounding might suffer a bit. However, I'm not advocating that we turn into the Temple Owls under John Cheney.

But why not work on something like this knowing you don't have CMM and Hudson, get these kids ready to play something other than M2M or a lazy 2-3. Hate a 2-3 zone, doesn't make as much sense in the current college landscape unless you have really long, quick guards playing the top part of that zone and a great shot-blocking presence in the middle, which we may have eventually in Doral Moore.

Yep...did the same thing last year. Will probably do it next year too. It's pretty obvious he plays to be good at the end of the year and develop players early on.
Ugh, did you see us at the end of last season? 3 losses in the last 4 games by a combined 97 points and then a loss to the worst team in the conference in the ACCT.

I think this is the biggest question Manning faces with the personnel. Devin and Codi are no-brainer starters. So is Crawford in my mind. The next 3 are Collins, Hudson, and Dinos - and you can only pick 2. Assuming Hudson is still in the "good but not great" zone similar to last year, you have two pretty legit 4's and you need one of them to play minutes at the 3. Maybe Collins is a better true 4 but Dinos stretches the floor and can take over games at times. Collins and Devin are likely going to struggle to play together since they're so similar. By ACC time Collins will likely be a better defender than Dinos.

My guess is that Collins is destined to be the 6th man this year just because of the team makeup. But he certainly has to start getting more minutes soon from somewhere.

I certainly hope.

Ugh, did you see us at the end of last season? 3 losses in the last 4 games by a combined 97 points and then a loss to the worst team in the conference in the ACCT.

Building foundations.

Reactions: Ayo
The college game now.

I would play two shot blockers in the box and three players at the three point line, and give up as many 15 foot jump shots as the other team wants to take.

This, except have to guard 3 pointers from the corners. The pack line defense works pretty well for Virginia.

I think this is the biggest question Manning faces with the personnel. Devin and Codi are no-brainer starters. So is Crawford in my mind. The next 3 are Collins, Hudson, and Dinos - and you can only pick 2. Assuming Hudson is still in the "good but not great" zone similar to last year, you have two pretty legit 4's and you need one of them to play minutes at the 3. Maybe Collins is a better true 4 but Dinos stretches the floor and can take over games at times. Collins and Devin are likely going to struggle to play together since they're so similar. By ACC time Collins will likely be a better defender than Dinos.

This is spot on.

The Dean Smith point zone was more of a 1-2-2 and covered the easy shot at the top of the key. Depends of the team you are playing as to whether you want to take that shot away or have the 2-1-2 or 2-3 look. At least we finally played some zone last night.

Crab was absolutely not in the "good but not great" zone last year.

We ended last season with our worst losses: 46 point loss to UVA, a 43 point loss to Duke, and an 18 point loss to BC.
I didn't say we were successful doing it last year, right or wrong, that's his strategy. He's trying to build a team. It's certainly not "mind boggling" as you ubersmarts make it out to be. You going to go all bat shit when he does it again next year?

I didn't say we were successful doing it last year, right or wrong, that's his strategy. He's trying to build a team. It's certainly not "mind boggling" as you ubersmarts make it out to be. You going to go all bat shit when he does it again next year?

Lose by 46 and 43? I would hope so.

Thought Collins was our best player? Shouldn't he be first man, not 6th man?

Second best player. But it's obvious that DM will not start him this year unless there are extenuating circumstances. Just hoping more more and more playing time as the season progresses.

You have seen literally 30 minutes from him, against UMBC, Bucknell, and Richmond. Stop it.

I agree on Collins, really excited about his potential. I also think Craw will be a heck of a PG but we will have some growth pains...already are. Moore might need some time to develop, but excited about having another athletic 7'+ player. I am just not sure how to to get these big men to play with Dino or Devin...I don't think that will/can happen. Gotta get Collins some outside work, defense, ball handling and extend his range. Dino could never do it.

You can see great talent right away. From what I've seen, he has the length, spring and shooting touch to be a special player for us. 31 points , 15 rebounds and 9 blocks in his first 35 minutes of college basketball is pretty darn impressive. I really can't believe he wasn't ranked much higher in HS. I was thinking that he might only be 6'7" and be a brick mason who can only dunk. I don't think this early showing of skill has been by accident and he is a legit 6'10".

You can see great talent right away. From what I've seen, he has the length, spring and shooting touch to be a special player for us. 31 points , 15 rebounds and 9 blocks in his first 35 minutes of college basketball is pretty darn impressive. I really can't believe he wasn't ranked much higher in HS. I was thinking that he might only be 6'7" and be a brick mason who can only dunk. I don't think this early showing of skill has been by accident and he is a legit 6'10".

I agree with you that John Collins will be one of the greats before it's said and done. I've liked him since watching his tape and he's even better in person. Small sample size, so I really hope we aren't overhyping the guy. He must've had good AAU and High School coaches because he doesn't look like a freshman.

I agree with you that John Collins will be one of the greats before it's said and done. I've liked him since watching his tape and he's even better in person. Small sample size, so I really hope we aren't overhyping the guy. He must've had good AAU and High School coaches because he doesn't look like a freshman.

I like all our freshmen and think Manning has a great eye. But for all the rankings-nuts on these boards, the ranking of the freshmen by recruiting rankings across the board was 1) Moore; 2) Crawford; 3) Collins. Crawford has played a lot b/c of the injuries and suspensions and has done well. But in terms of a player who is ready to go from day 1, that's Collins, the lowest rated player in the class by all recruiting "gurus."

Last edited:
Maddening especially when I have to personally watch him play VanHorn for 28 useless minutes forcing us to play 4 on 5 on offense and continually getting abused on defense.

Back