• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Marcus Smart shoves fan

That's just because I hate the NBA and everyone that enjoys it. Its insane that they still use the same basket height and court length that 6-5 center George Miken dominated 60 years ago. Raise the basket two feet and make the court larger, then I'll be impressed.

Sorry Brews, its true.

They also use the same size football field that Jim Brown & Gale Sayers used in the 60's and they use the same size baseball diamond that Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays and Hank Aaron used in the 50's. You don't see them changing the size of of those fields do you?

Why can't someone from Lubbock's local paper just call this assclown and ask him.

I don't think anyone around him has come forward to say they heard something racist. And Doug Gottlieb reported on a text he sent a friend where he says he didn't saying anything vulgar or use the n word. But he didn't say what he said. Maybe it was racist but just didn't include the n word? Maybe Smart misheard what he said? Maybe it was something else that pissed Smart off and Smart claimed it was the n word to try and justify what he did?

Doug Gottlieb ‏@GottliebShow 14h

"wasn't vulgar or the N Word" another text from Orr

I don't think anyone around him has come forward to say they heard something racist. And Doug Gottlieb reported on a text he sent a friend where he says he didn't saying anything vulgar or use the n word. But he didn't say what he said. Maybe it was racist but just didn't include the n word? Maybe Smart misheard what he said? Maybe it was something else that pissed Smart off and Smart claimed it was the n word to try and justify what he did?

"Go back to Africa" would fit that description yet still be inappropriate as hell.

Agree. First, it's loud at a college basketball game, and the shove happened at the climax of a very close, intense game. It's certainly possible that Smart just misheard what Orr told him.

That being the case, if multiple national media outlets and the entire Internet was speculating that I called a college kid the N word -- and I didn't actually say that -- I would not just be sitting at home sending vague, opaque text messages to Doug Gottlieb. I'd have called up the Sports department at the local paper hours ago and flat out set it straight. The fact that Orr hasn't yet done that makes me think he said something at least somewhat racist

If a fan told Smart to go back to Africa and then used the N-word, then I would have no problem with Smart's reaction if I am the coach. It isn't a situation you can really prepare for. Smart is a passionate player, no amount of counseling is going to prepare him for that in my opinion. He reacted, and he did so without throwing a punch. I would call that a win.

Im guessing his reaction was warranted, but don't let it take money out your pocket when draft time comes.

Why can't someone from Lubbock's local paper just call this assclown and ask him.

Can you imagine what the Lubbock version of Donut Dan is like?

Probably pretty similar to Donut Dan, actually... Though that answers the question as to why he wouldn't just call.

That being the case, if multiple national media outlets and the entire Internet was speculating that I called a college kid the N word -- and I didn't actually say that -- I would not just be sitting at home sending vague, opaque text messages to Doug Gottlieb. I'd have called up the Sports department at the local paper hours ago and flat out set it straight. The fact that Orr hasn't yet done that makes me think he said something at least somewhat racist
Good point.

Im guessing his reaction was warranted, but don't let it take money out your pocket when draft time comes.

And it won't, so I'm guessing that Smart feels awful and has learned a lesson, and won't get punished any more.

Speaking of trash journalism...

One NBA GM disagrees with you - at least according to the ESPN article.

Well, it's a good thing for Marcus Smart that there are 29 more. I'd also put solid money on that being more of a smokescreen than an actual opinion, at least what from my experience as a journalist trying to get information from GMs.

Well, it's a good thing for Marcus Smart that there are 29 more. I'd also put solid money on that being more of a smokescreen than an actual opinion, at least what from my experience as a journalist trying to get information from GMs.

Fair enough. It probably only affects Smart if there's another incident.

ESPN's updated article on the incident. One part stood out for me:

Former Texas Tech coach Pat Knight called Orr "a great guy" and said he was surprised by the Saturday's altercation.

"He's one of the most loyal fans you'll ever find," Knight told ESPN about Orr. "I was shocked that he was involved. I know he's a crazy fan, a big supporter and a loyal guy, and I know him as a great guy. That's why I was so surprised."

I'm inclined more than ever to buy Smart's account after reading that.

On his draft prospects (from the same article):

Smart is the Big 12's third-leading scorer and is the No. 6 overall prospect on ESPN NBA Insider Chad Ford's latest Big Board.

But Saturday's incident has drawn mixed reaction from NBA executives. One current NBA general manager told ESPN that he does not think Smart's draft stock has slipped as a result of the "overblown" incident, saying that Smart is "too good a kid."

But another current NBA GM told ESPN that he thinks the situation will negatively impact Smart's draft stock.

"When you are loved more for your intangibles than your tangibles to begin with, how can it not?" the general manager told ESPN. "I felt sick for the kid, truly saddened by it."

A former NBA general manager who is currently a scout said Saturday's incident shouldn't affect Smart's draft status, should he declare for the NBA draft, since he will have time to talk about it during the interview process this spring. The former GM said Smart's character hadn't been called into question in the past.

Smart, who decided to return to Stillwater for his sophomore season despite being considered a lock as a high-lottery pick in the 2013 NBA draft, expressed frustration to ESPN this past week about his growing reputation as a flopper and the inconsistency with officiating.

I'm not seeing a consensus that this is going to affect his draft stock one way or another. I also love it that one reaction = mixed reaction.

Back