• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mariano: 100%

I'm pretty much anti-Yankees in every sense; but Rivera was so much better than anyone other closer that you cannot dispute his place in the Hall or the unanimous vote. It is appropriate. And he is all class.

Really awesome that the only Yankees game I've ever seen in Yankees' Stadium was a Rivera save against the Red Sox (though I was pulling for the Red Sox). Also saw a Grand Slam in that game as well.

Well deserved accomplishment.

Eric Gagne was a failed starter and a dominant closer. If Mariano had to pitch more than 1 inning he would’ve been screwed. This is a travesty that he is the first when so many others weren’ unanimous. RP is the most over valued position ever.

I'm pretty much anti-Yankees in every sense; but Rivera was so much better than anyone other closer that you cannot dispute his place in the Hall or the unanimous vote. It is appropriate. And he is all class.

This. He helped clarify the position and become dominant at playing it.

Eric Gagne was a failed starter and a dominant closer. If Mariano had to pitch more than 1 inning he would’ve been screwed. This is a travesty that he is the first when so many others weren’ unanimous. RP is the most over valued position ever.

This is an absurd. Closing games is a unique position. If Griffey was a catcher he would have been screwed. In center field he only touched the ball maybe every other inning, so his 10 gold gloves shouldn’t count for hall consideration. Same argument. Rivera was the most dominant to ever play his position and I didn’t think that people actually questioned that.

lol no.

I'm as big a Mariano fan as anyone, but the only reason he was the first unanimous was because the votes are now public and the idiots who could previously hide behind anonymity to not unanimously vote Maddux and similar players would now get publicly roasted. Not that he doesn't deserve to be unanimous, he most certainly does, but being the first is not as big as it is being made out to be. That said, amazing career and clearly the best reliever ever.

I'm as big a Mariano fan as anyone, but the only reason he was the first unanimous was because the votes are now public and the idiots who could previously hide behind anonymity to not unanimously vote Maddux and similar players would now get publicly roasted. Not that he doesn't deserve to be unanimous, he most certainly does, but being the first is not as big as it is being made out to be. That said, amazing career and clearly the best reliever ever.

Edited: I thought you were wrong about public ballots - I thought it was voluntarly. But it looks like that was recently changed.

I do think the relief pitchers are a niche position and the top-level starting pitchers are better all-around pitchers. Look at John Smoltz at the end of his career. Could you ever see a relief pitcher at the end of his career become an elite starter?

Anyone who knows baseball even a little bit knows what a huge advantage it is to have a lock down closer in the 9th inning. Yeah, it is one inning but it is the most important inning.

And he did it with one fucking pitch

(BTW I hate the Yankees)

This. Hank Aaron got in the HoF with 97.83% of ballots which is ridiculous.

Who should have been first?

Stealing this from Reddit, but it’s good illustration of how dominant Rivera was in his role. Let’s say you’re putting together a all time baseball team to play the baseball version of the Monstars. You’re up with a save situation in the ninth. Is there any question who you give the ball to?

The best part about Mariano getting in with 100% is it eliminates this bullshit argument from the OWGs. Jeets will probably be unanimous next year, and rightly so, unless some jamoke from Boston leaves him off the ballot.

true but as a manager, it depends which superstars the Monstars stole their mojo from

Back