• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mariano: 100%

1. Who are you?
2. I guarantee my house is bigger than yours, sits on more acreage, and is worth more
3. Do you even own a home? You probably live in your mom's basement.

I don't know about acreage in that Shorty lives near Atlanta, but you are so wrong about him.

I don't know about acreage in that Shorty lives near Atlanta, but you are so wrong about him.

Either way someone I've never directed anything at on this board, knows nothing about me, yet talks shit like that, I'd assume he is compensating. Whatever your problem with me may be Shorty, I'd be happy to settle it.

Either way someone I've never directed anything at on this board, knows nothing about me, yet talks shit like that, I'd assume he is compensating. Whatever your problem with me may be Shorty, I'd be happy to settle it.

But dude, you've got a massive house and tons of acreage. Why fight online! Congrats on #winning!

Enough thread derailing anyways. I enjoyed going to the ceremonies every summer but haven't been to one since the famous George Brett, Nolan Ryan, Robin Yount induction ceremony. Surprised how few options there were to attend this. Not going to stay in some guys rented trailer, but all you Atlanta commuters feel free. You may even be able to go to a Twinkie auction nearby and feel like you're back in your home state.

Isn't Winston-Salem looked upon as Greensboro's little brother ?

Baseball HOF is a joke, but why won't Jeter be unanimous now? Will there really be 10 better players than him on the ballot next year? And do people really not think he should be in the hall of fame?

Since I'm the one that first mentioned Jeter, I'm also curious why people think he has no shot at being unanimous now that the stupid precedent is gone. It's not a forgone conclusion, but it's not wildly unlikely either.

Good lord, dude, it was a joke. I don’t know you, either. Why would you think I was actually saying you live in a trailer. I obviously don’t know where you live, but if you get to Atlanta, I’ll happily invite you over to my house so you can see for yourself.

Good lord, dude, it was a joke. I don’t know you, either. Why would you think I was actually saying you live in a trailer. I obviously don’t know where you live, but if you get to Atlanta, I’ll happily invite you over to my house so you can see for yourself.

No worries. Sorry for snapping back. I was upset I couldn't find a place to stay in Cooperstown so I got easily triggered. Fucking Millennials. My favorite summers as a kid were going to meet HOF's at the ceremonies.

Since I'm the one that first mentioned Jeter, I'm also curious why people think he has no shot at being unanimous now that the stupid precedent is gone. It's not a forgone conclusion, but it's not wildly unlikely either.

Seriously. If someone doesn't think Jeter belongs in the Hall of Fame then they simply aren't a fan of watching sports.

I'd take Nomar, Tejada, and Rodriquez over Jeter. And thats off the top of my head in the AL. Jeter had little range, nothing close to Vizquel.

Even the Yankees had problems finding the right place to bat him. He was mostly a ground ball hitter so batting 2d he hit into too many double plays. Lacking superior speed he was not a good leadoff.
Anywhere other than NY he would probably bat 8 or 9.

He was a clutch hitter tho. And a fan favorite.

I'm as big a Mariano fan as anyone, but the only reason he was the first unanimous was because the votes are now public and the idiots who could previously hide behind anonymity to not unanimously vote Maddux and similar players would now get publicly roasted. Not that he doesn't deserve to be unanimous, he most certainly does, but being the first is not as big as it is being made out to be. That said, amazing career and clearly the best reliever ever.

Correct. Lack of anonymity is the reason. Imagine having to justify your lack of support for previous players as deserving as Mariano.

I'd take Nomar, Tejada, and Rodriquez over Jeter. And thats off the top of my head in the AL. Jeter had little range, nothing close to Vizquel.

Even the Yankees had problems finding the right place to bat him. He was mostly a ground ball hitter so batting 2d he hit into too many double plays. Lacking superior speed he was not a good leadoff.

Ummm, okay.

Dive.gif

BDMj.gif

And even respecting your opinion as to guys you would take over him (though Nomar and Tejada sans juice are hugely debatable), that still doesn't mean he isn't a first ballot HOFer. You don't have to be the greatest player in history at every aspect of your position to get into the HOF, you have to have had a HOF-worthy career. Just because Vizquel was better defensively doesn't mean that Jeter's career is not HOF worthy - you could name 20 contemporary SS who were better offensively than Ozzie Smith, yet Ozzie was a no-doubter and again would have been unanimous if not for the anonymity factor. Again, I don't see how any sports fan could objectively look at Jeter's career and say it was not first ballot HOF worthy when you evaluate the totality of offense, defense, championships, face of the game, etc.

Fine, he's a first ballot HOFer. He's not unanimous though.

Wait, Tejada, as in MIGUEL Tejada? Jeter's career WAR is 72.4, good for 10th all time. He hit 260 HR and slugged .440, so the "ground ball hitter" thing is just wrong. Just FYI, Nomar's career WAR is 44.2 and Tejada's is 47.3. A-rod is an anomaly at 117.8, second all-time to Wagner, but played more games at 3B/DH than SS and he's not even going to be a first-ballot guy, let alone unanimous.

Side note: I hated Jeter when he was a player and hate him even more now as an exec.

Wait, Tejada, as in MIGUEL Tejada? Jeter's career WAR is 72.4, good for 10th all time. He hit 260 HR and slugged .440, so the "ground ball hitter" thing is just wrong. Just FYI, Nomar's career WAR is 44.2 and Tejada's is 47.3. A-rod is an anomaly at 117.8, second all-time to Wagner, but played more games at 3B/DH than SS and he's not even going to be a first-ballot guy, let alone unanimous.

Side note: I hated Jeter when he was a player and hate him even more now as an exec.

It is the hall of longevity - some people peak higher and were better players in their prime, Jeets played for 20 years as a 3-4 WAR guy, thats not easy. Both points are probably valid - would I rather have peak Nomah or peak Jeter? I could still go Nomar there, but say Jeter had a better career. Tejada is silly. Aroid is the right answer regardless.

Back