• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Marvel's The Avengers (reviews/discussion)

Should I go for the 3D version?

Yes, unless 3D makes you sick. You can ignore the hipster 3D backlash because this is one of the movies that gets it right. I had to sit 2 rows back from the IMAX screen and I was ducking and dodging for most of the final fight scene.

Yes, unless 3D makes you sick. You can ignore the hipster 3D backlash because this is one of the movies that gets it right. I had to sit 2 rows back from the IMAX screen and I was ducking and dodging for most of the final fight scene.

has nothing to do with hipster backlash you kentucky rube

read Ebert's spot on criticism of 3D movies and educate yourself

"extra butter please!"

"extra butter please!"

Did I hit a nerve? I could give a shit what Ebert says about 3D movies, I saw the movie in 3D, and Josh Whedon intended it to be in 3D. I'm guessing you didn't see it in 3D, and you didn't direct it, so your opinion about it means little to me as well. Go masturbate over your mint vinyl collection.

saw it last night. really really enjoyed it. its obviously a more "traditional" super-hero film compared to Nolan's darker Batman so its hard to compare them. thought they did a great job with the back story and building up the plot to the final battle. my roommate, who is from the Netherlands, went with us having never seen any of the individual character movies we discussed how they made the film very easy to follow for those who hadn't seen all the others. Liked Ruffalo much better as the Hulk than Norton, just IMO. also, Robin Scherbatsky was looking good.

"extra butter please!"

Lol

I have seen it in both. Enjoyed it more in 3D. That being said, you arent missing anything in 2D

I am glad this one was worth the 3D per what people are saying. I have been skeptical after I saw Clash of the Titans in 3D, and it was easily the worst 3D ever. There was like one subtitle that was in 3D and that was it. Not to mention I was pumped for that movie, and it let me down. Final battle was a huge letdown. I can imagine The Avengers would be pretty dang sweet in 3D though. I am not sure anything could beat Avatar 3D, I felt like I was literally in the scenery.

This thread has convinced me to see it in 3D the next time I see it.

Did I hit a nerve? I could give a shit what Ebert says about 3D movies, I saw the movie in 3D, and Josh Whedon intended it to be in 3D. I'm guessing you didn't see it in 3D, and you didn't direct it, so your opinion about it means little to me as well. Go masturbate over your mint vinyl collection.

No, he didn't. He started to shoot it in 3D and hated the technology so he didn't do it. The studio then made him post-convert it into 3D so they could make as much money as possible. Read Christopher Nolan's dismissals of 3D for a good point of view on why 3D is worthless.

there wasn't one moment in the movie i thought was extra cool b/c of 3D. B/c of the glasses and darker picture, I'd vote for 2D any day.

That said, is it possible to purchase your own 3D glasses and bring them to the theater? I feel like there's a market there for more comfortable/better 3D glasses.

So I'm going to need to start a poll then.

No, he didn't. He started to shoot it in 3D and hated the technology so he didn't do it. The studio then made him post-convert it into 3D so they could make as much money as possible. Read Christopher Nolan's dismissals of 3D for a good point of view on why 3D is worthless.

Joss Whedon has been talking up the 3D element since filming started. All you need to do is google "Joss Whedon 3D" and you'll find multiple interviews where he has supported it for the Avengers film. I did read a while back where he was against Cabin In The Woods being post-converted, but that was a separate issue.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/marvels-the-avengers-3d-is-not-obnoxious-says-joss-whedon
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=51745

"Whedon knew from the very beginning his film would eventually be converted to 3D saying he thought about the format "every second" while filming. Whedon is sensitive to the concerns of audiences admitting "there definitely are movies that shouldn't be in 3D" while assuring fanboys "THE AVENGERS isn't obnoxiously 3D."

If you've got the link where you got your info, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Joss Whedon has been talking up the 3D element since filming started. All you need to do is google "Joss Whedon 3D" and you'll find multiple interviews where he has supported it for the Avengers film. I did read a while back where he was against Cabin In The Woods being post-converted, but that was a separate issue.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/marvels-the-avengers-3d-is-not-obnoxious-says-joss-whedon
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=51745

"Whedon knew from the very beginning his film would eventually be converted to 3D saying he thought about the format "every second" while filming. Whedon is sensitive to the concerns of audiences admitting "there definitely are movies that shouldn't be in 3D" while assuring fanboys "THE AVENGERS isn't obnoxiously 3D."

If you've got the link where you got your info, I'd be interested in seeing it.

I was making generalizations based on the fact that it was not shot in 3D, and that would lead me to believe Whedon didn't want it in 3D, but had no say in the matter. Post-converting makes no sense if the director knew all along he wanted it to be in 3D.

This quote right here, from this article makes it sound like Whedon pretty much had no option in whether the movie would be in 3D or not, and it doesn't sound like he intended for the movie to be that way. "The writer/director added that he supported the idea to release the film in 3D. "Yeah, it's fun!...I'm not a big fan of extreme long lens, talky movies - I like to see the space I'm in and relate to it, so 3D kinda fits my aesthetic anyway. And the technology has advanced so far in the past couple years."

I was making generalizations based on the fact that it was not shot in 3D, and that would lead me to believe Whedon didn't want it in 3D, but had no say in the matter. Post-converting makes no sense if the director knew all along he wanted it to be in 3D.

This quote right here, from this article makes it sound like Whedon pretty much had no option in whether the movie would be in 3D or not, and it doesn't sound like he intended for the movie to be that way. "The writer/director added that he supported the idea to release the film in 3D. "Yeah, it's fun!...I'm not a big fan of extreme long lens, talky movies - I like to see the space I'm in and relate to it, so 3D kinda fits my aesthetic anyway. And the technology has advanced so far in the past couple years."

There's probably a lot of reasons why a movie wouldn't be filmed with 3D equipment. Considering the massive amount of planning that went into this, I really doubt the 3D decision was last minute.

There's probably a lot of reasons why a movie wouldn't be filmed with 3D equipment. Considering the massive amount of planning that went into this, I really doubt the 3D decision was last minute.

Probably not last minute, but what I'm arguing is that Whedon didn't plan for the movie to be in 3D, it was the studio interfering and telling him that it had to be. So in this case, 3D is not a technique used by the filmmaker to make the movie more enjoyable, but a ploy from the studio to bring in more money.

Probably not last minute, but what I'm arguing is that Whedon didn't plan for the movie to be in 3D, it was the studio interfering and telling him that it had to be. So in this case, 3D is not a technique used by the filmmaker to make the movie more enjoyable, but a ploy from the studio to bring in more money.

milhouse, care to comment?

541156_385712608131153_118319738203776_922061_1915342939_n.jpg

I'm an adult trapped in a child's mindset when it comes to 3D. When I was younger my only exposure to 3D was at Disney (muppets, terminator, etc) and I loved it. Then a tumor crushed my left optic nerve and I couldn't see 3D right before 3D movies were becoming popular again. I'm sure I would find it dark and distracting like many cinephiles but I do wish I could find out for myself.

Back