• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Marvel's The Avengers (reviews/discussion)

I haven't seen the movie yet but I love this picture of the Avengers in high school, if only for Jeremy Renner's hair.

2wlu4ht.jpg

Ha, love RDJ's butt-cut. If you were a teen in the 80s, you probably have some shameful reminders of that style. I know I do. Or perhaps you had a mullet like Renner. I did not.

didn't someone on the boards say they or their spouse went to high school with Chris Evans?

God. I fucking love Bane's voice in the TDKR trailer. So badass. Gave me straight up chills in the movie theater.

"I am Gotham's reckoning."

I think I let myself get too excited for Avengers and it left me feeling a tiny bit hollow. I still really liked it but i certainly didnt love it. I need to stop watching the Prometheus and TDKR trailers daily to avoid a similar problem.

Saw it last night. Pretty awesome spectable. I thought it was pretty slow in the first half where there was bascially a 30 minute circle jerk in the helicarrier.

I also saw it in IMAX 3D. While it wasn't the best 3D I've seen, it definitely added to the movie. Not all 3D theaters are created equal though.

Also, I really don't understand all the worship for the Nolan Batman movies, yeah they are more 'serious' than prior super hero movies, but that is not a very high bar. In the Dark Knight, you still have a moron talking with a fake tough guy whisper voice driving around in a silly go-cart that turns into a bicycle for 30 minutes. Ledger did a good job with a villian who has always been written as afwully corny, but this is still not exactly On the Waterfront. Let's get real.

Finally, the conception that Marvel comics are intented for a less mature audience than DC ones is completely false. It actually the exact opposite that is true. Nolan is the sole source of mature content for the Batman titles. I havent read comics since middle school but remember thinking that DC were overtly simple and kiddish when I was 11. Marvel has always historically had more mature themes and more complex characters in its cadre.

Also, I really don't understand all the worship for the Nolan Batman movies, yeah they are more 'serious' than prior super hero movies, but that is not a very high bar. In the Dark Knight, you still have a moron talking with a fake tough guy whisper voice driving around in a silly go-cart that turns into a bicycle for 30 minutes. Ledger did a good job with a villian who has always been written as afwully corny, but this is still not exactly On the Waterfront. Let's get real.

Finally, the conception that Marvel comics are intented for a less mature audience than DC ones is completely false. It actually the exact opposite that is true. Nolan is the sole source of mature content for the Batman titles. I havent read comics since middle school but remember thinking that DC were overtly simple and kiddish when I was 11. Marvel has always historically had more mature themes and more complex characters in its cadre.

Not true, true, not true.

Batman has some pretty dark storylines, but he is the exception for DC rather than the norm.

Not true, true, not true.

Batman has some pretty dark storylines, but he is the exception for DC rather than the norm.

Absolutely true. You just confirmed it. Except for a few of the Batman story lines, the entire DC Universe is corny as hell. Definitely targeted to younger or less mature audience.

Strangely enough, one of the partners at my firm still reads comics, and reads a lot of Batman, and even in the Batman subgenre, the comics run from serious to corny.

I think what makes Nolan's Batman movies so good is the level at which he pitches them, which comes from a very classical filmmaking approach. From the opening scene of The Dark Knight the intensity is amped up, and it never ceases throughout the entire movie. Yes, the inherent nature of men dressing up and using gadgets is silly, but TDK is not a traditional superhero movie, it's a crime epic, and the tension that is present in it transcends anything that other superhero movies have tried to do. Nolan isn't concerned with sci-fi foolishness, and his focus on the various character's inner demons very much follows the traditions of classics of the crime genre.

Absolutely true. You just confirmed it. Except for a few of the Batman story lines, the entire DC Universe is corny as hell. Definitely targeted to younger or less mature audience.

Strangely enough, one of the partners at my firm still reads comics, and reads a lot of Batman, and even in the Batman subgenre, the comics run from serious to corny.

Those comments were directed at the three statements bolded. Joker can be written corny, but not always. In fact Ledger brought a voice and a face to an established character. He borrowed from BTAS and comics. Joker can be, and is often, written very dark. Corny humor is intended to stand in stark contrast to that. Ledger's joker was not devoid of corny humor anyway.

Marvel on the whole is more oriented toward a more mature audience, but I'm not sure any Marvel franchises rival Batman individually. There is a mortality in the Batman character that is not present in other superheroes. His humanity is what lends itself to darkness. Similar themes make some, if not most, of his villains much more dark than a lot of Marvel villains which tend to be more aligned with extraterrestrial life than deviant behavior.

Those comments were directed at the three statements bolded. Joker can be written corny, but not always. In fact Ledger brought a voice and a face to an established character. He borrowed from BTAS and comics. Joker can be, and is often, written very dark. Corny humor is intended to stand in stark contrast to that. Ledger's joker was not devoid of corny humor anyway.

Marvel on the whole is more oriented toward a more mature audience, but I'm not sure any Marvel franchises rival Batman individually. There is a mortality in the Batman character that is not present in other superheroes. His humanity is what lends itself to darkness. Similar themes make some, if not most, of his villains much more dark than a lot of Marvel villains which tend to be more aligned with extraterrestrial life than deviant behavior.

Again, I'm not an expert, but I was making generalizations on the whole. I do know that the X-Men and Wolverine titles are generally pretty dark in themselves, and within that world they have had an on-and-off title (that I think is still around today) called X-Force which is a subset of X-Men asassin types that just straight go around murdering people that they don't like. Its like Wolverine, the bad Angel dude, Deadpool and some others. Lots of blood. That would make a good movie.

As often as writing teams change in comics, they pretty much all have a range of tones and themes, DC and Marvel. Batman, though, is still traditionally much darker than anything at Marvel. This coming from someone who has been reading them since the late 80's.

Again, I'm not an expert, but I was making generalizations on the whole. I do know that the X-Men and Wolverine titles are generally pretty dark in themselves, and within that world they have had an on-and-off title (that I think is still around today) called X-Force which is a subset of X-Men asassin types that just straight go around murdering people that they don't like. Its like Wolverine, the bad Angel dude, Deadpool and some others. Lots of blood. That would make a good movie.

Violence is a different story, and I'll give you that. Batman's moral reservations about killing are what make him such a great character, IMO.

X-Force was one of the best series at Marvel for about 18 issues...now it's gotten corny itself. The last arc was flat out bizarre. Fantomex is the only thing making that series even bearable any more.

I would also add that Batman has been pretty shit since Grant Morrison decided to stop ruining X-Men and start ruining Batman instead.

$29M on Friday. $299M so far.
http://www.hitfix.com/articles/box-...not-be-stopped-with-another-29-million-friday
When Warner Bros. planted a stake on a May 11 opening date for Tim Burton's "Dark Shadows" over a year ago, they had no idea what they'd be dealing with. Yes, Paramount Pictures had slotted "The Dictator" on the same release date, but WB knew that eventually Paramount would blink and the Sacha Baron Cohen comedy would move off the date. "Shadows," of course, being the eighth collaboration between Burton and box office super star Johnny Depp. Moreover, their last film, "Alice in Wonderland," grossed over $1 billion worldwide. Sure, Marvel Studios' "The Avengers" was debuting the week before, but even six months ago most industry observers expected it to open closer to "Iron Man II's" $128 million and then quickly fall off like a typical summer movie. As Hollywood is quickly learning, "The Avengers" is not your typical summer blockbuster.

Defying expectations, Joss Whedon's superhero adventure grossed another $29 million on Friday giving the Walt Disney Company a gigantic $299 million in just eight days. It's estimated that "The Avengers" could gross over $90 million in its second weekend blowing away "Avatar's" $75.6 million record tally in 2009. The question isn't whether "Avengers" will eventually cross the $400 million mark, but whether it can hit $500 million domestically. More intriguing, the picture should also pass the $1 billion mark globally this weekend. The film's third weekend will provide more clues as to whether "The Avengers" can join "Avatar" and "Titanic" in the $2 billion global grossers club. Any way you count it, however, moviegoer interest in "The Avengers" is remarkable.

That palpable love of Marvel's hit is starting to have adverse affects on the rest of May's releases. "Battleship" and "Men in Black 3" are already polling under expectations and Friday "Dark Shadows" debuted with just $9.7 million for what could be a $26-28 million three-day come. Polling actually had "Shadows" pegged at a $35-40 million opening so this has to be extremely disconcerting for Warner Bros. The studio may have to pin their hopes on International revenues to cover the film's pricey $175 million plus price tag.

---------------------------------------
I was at Disney World this week. The success of the movie has to force their hand to integrate The Avengers into the parks, especially Hollywood Studios. They've already committed to a Fantasyland expansion at Magic Kingdom and an area based on Avatan at Animal Kingdom. They may not be able to start work on something like this right away.

----------------------------------------

Another point. Heard an interesting Avengers 2 rumor based on a major plot point from Avengers.
Clark Gregg (Agent Coulson) will play the role of Vision in Avengers 2 and the android will be based on Coulson's consciousness. Remember when Fury said of Coulson's death, "I lost my only good eye"?
220px-Youngvisionx.png

$29M on Friday. $299M so far.
http://www.hitfix.com/articles/box-...not-be-stopped-with-another-29-million-friday
When Warner Bros. planted a stake on a May 11 opening date for Tim Burton's "Dark Shadows" over a year ago, they had no idea what they'd be dealing with. Yes, Paramount Pictures had slotted "The Dictator" on the same release date, but WB knew that eventually Paramount would blink and the Sacha Baron Cohen comedy would move off the date. "Shadows," of course, being the eighth collaboration between Burton and box office super star Johnny Depp. Moreover, their last film, "Alice in Wonderland," grossed over $1 billion worldwide. Sure, Marvel Studios' "The Avengers" was debuting the week before, but even six months ago most industry observers expected it to open closer to "Iron Man II's" $128 million and then quickly fall off like a typical summer movie. As Hollywood is quickly learning, "The Avengers" is not your typical summer blockbuster.

Defying expectations, Joss Whedon's superhero adventure grossed another $29 million on Friday giving the Walt Disney Company a gigantic $299 million in just eight days. It's estimated that "The Avengers" could gross over $90 million in its second weekend blowing away "Avatar's" $75.6 million record tally in 2009. The question isn't whether "Avengers" will eventually cross the $400 million mark, but whether it can hit $500 million domestically. More intriguing, the picture should also pass the $1 billion mark globally this weekend. The film's third weekend will provide more clues as to whether "The Avengers" can join "Avatar" and "Titanic" in the $2 billion global grossers club. Any way you count it, however, moviegoer interest in "The Avengers" is remarkable.

That palpable love of Marvel's hit is starting to have adverse affects on the rest of May's releases. "Battleship" and "Men in Black 3" are already polling under expectations and Friday "Dark Shadows" debuted with just $9.7 million for what could be a $26-28 million three-day come. Polling actually had "Shadows" pegged at a $35-40 million opening so this has to be extremely disconcerting for Warner Bros. The studio may have to pin their hopes on International revenues to cover the film's pricey $175 million plus price tag.

---------------------------------------
I was at Disney World this week. The success of the movie has to force their hand to integrate The Avengers into the parks, especially Hollywood Studios. They've already committed to a Fantasyland expansion at Magic Kingdom and an area based on Avatan at Animal Kingdom. They may not be able to start work on something like this right away.

----------------------------------------

Another point. Heard an interesting Avengers 2 rumor based on a major plot point from Avengers.
Clark Gregg (Agent Coulson) will play the role of Vision in Avengers 2 and the android will be based on Coulson's consciousness. Remember when Fury said of Coulson's death, "I lost my only good eye"?
220px-Youngvisionx.png

I think that would be a very cool way to bring
into the fold. Could also be a good way to introduce Pym as a character (being the guy who orchestrates it).

I was a little surprised that Pym wasn't there as a background SHIELD scientist kinda how Hawkeye and Black Widow were introduced. If Ultron was the next villain, I could seem Pym in the next Iron Man and Hulk as a rival scientist.

Back