• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Marvel's The Avengers (reviews/discussion)

Saw Avengers last night and liked it. My only real criticism was the final fight scene went on far too long. It kind of reminded me of one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies where the last 45 minutes was just one incredibly extended swordfight. But complaining about extended awesomeness is a pretty minor complaint.

Hulk was very well done and hilarious.

Was there just one credits hidden scene (Thanos) or was there another at the very end of the credits? My wife was already whining about it being late, babysitter needed rescuing, etc. so I had to leave after the Thanos scene.

I don't know what Morrison's been up to lately, but I used to think of him as being #1, primarily based on his Vertigo work. The Animal Man storyline where he becomes self aware is one of my favorite arcs. The only traditional superhero stuff I've read from him was New X-Men, which I thought was very good. I might look for his Batman work on Comixology to see what's up.

I will +1 that he is "a self absorbed narcissist".

My biggest issue with his run on X-men was how he left it. It was like he had no exit strategy so he just wrote that crappy ending where Magneto is whiny and Jean Grey dies for the eleven billionth time. It was bad enough that subsequent writers did a retcon to say it wasn't actually Magneto, but an imposter. As for Batman, I almost considered dropping my Batman subscription after RIP. It seems like Morrison comes up with these ideas (again, not all bad ideas), but then just doesn't execute the ideas all that well. Batman Inc. was another idea of his that seemed cool but was not executed well (although I'll grant that The New 52 could have had something to do with that).

This has probably been covered in this thread, but any preference on whether to see it in 3D or just the regular version.

This has probably been covered in this thread, but any preference on whether to see it in 3D or just the regular version.

I actually did a poll about this last week or so. Just do a search for Avengers.

Apparently shwarma joints in LA reported a jump in business after the movie debuted.

Apparently shwarma joints in LA reported a jump in business after the movie debuted.

I tried shwarma from this place earlier in the week. Usually I just get the italian dishes but I have to say... it is delicious.

Finally saw the 2D version this weekend and thought it was awesome. The Batman previews were awesome as well and am super pumped for that. Not sure about GI Joe and will probably wait until that comes out on video.

I didn't know shawarma was semi exotic. I've been chowing down at The Shawarma King for 15 years. Soooo delicious.

Between The Avengers, Men in Black III, The Amazing Spider-Man, and The Dark Knight Rises, there is a very narrow possibility the #1 movie every week this summer will be a comic book movie. More than likely MiB3 will surpass The Avengers next week. The big question is if Prometheus will take over the #1 spot 2 weeks after MiB3 and what Brave will do 2 weeks after that.

I didn't know shawarma was semi exotic. I've been chowing down at The Shawarma King for 15 years. Soooo delicious.

I didn't know what the fuck shawarma was until the very end.

Between The Avengers, Men in Black III, The Amazing Spider-Man, and The Dark Knight Rises, there is a very narrow possibility the #1 movie every week this summer will be a comic book movie. More than likely MiB3 will surpass The Avengers next week. The big question is if Prometheus will take over the #1 spot 2 weeks after MiB3 and what Brave will do 2 weeks after that.
Hah, good try, but no chance of this happening. Snow White will open to #1 on the June 1-3 weekend (will make AT LEAST 60 mil), then Prometheus will take over, then Rock of Ages, then Brave, then GI Joe or Magic Mike, and then Spider-Man. Just way too big of a gap between MiB3 and Spider-Man, and I have a feeling MiB3 may underwhelm anyway (anything under 70 mil over the 4-day Memorial Weekend would be pretty bad). But even if it makes say 80 over the 4-day, its second weekend will drop pretty hard (probably down to 25-30 over June 1-3) and there's absolutely no way Snow White and the Huntsman won't beat that.

I don't disagree, but I fully believe the Snow White flick could bomb as bad as Battleship.

I don't disagree, but I fully believe the Snow White flick could bomb as bad as Battleship.

Just can't see it. Teenage girls have had nothing for them since The Hunger Games, and the battle aspect of it will get guys into the theater. It's got a nice, attractive cast, and looks pretty good (in the technical sense, IMO the movie looks like shit). I think it will be a big hit.

Rock of Ages looks turrrible. When I saw the beginning of the preview, I thought, ok, this might not be so bad, and then I saw that annoying chick from Dancing with the Stars being annoying and saw Catherine Zeta Jones in another fucking musical and almost barfed.

Last edited:
Caught this movie on Saturday. Entertaining as hell, though the final battle scene was way too long, as they tend to be. Loved the bromance between Stark and Banner as geek scientists. The Hulk is easily the scene stealer, as he tends to be when the character is done correctly.

Also glad we were tipped off to stay through the full credits. Too funny.

Saw it yesterday with some friends finally. I think the only one of the previous movies I've actually seen was Iron Man, but I never really felt lost. I had a couple of questions about some of the characters' backstories/powers, but nothing that prevented me from enjoying and understanding the movie.

Overall I really enjoyed it. Great summer blockbuster and very entertaining. Much funnier than I was anticipating. As everyone said before, RDJ is awesome as Tony Stark, and that's just such a great and well-written character. And Ruffalo as Hulk was great. Hulk smash scenes were awesome (esp when he punched Thor and threw Loki around).

I would say it felt slightly long, but not a real complaint. I would see definitely see it again.

Back