• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland cuts 6 varsity sports (8 total teams)

Not if they want to keep a 52-man lacrosse team.

I don't know how many of those players are actually on scholarship, but that's a whole bunch of Title IX to make up. It's also why Wake isn't going to have a lacrosse team any time in the near future.

I've never played lacrosse. I always figured it was like 12 guys tops. But 52? That's crazy.

Not if they want to keep a 52-man lacrosse team.

I don't know how many of those players are actually on scholarship, but that's a whole bunch of Title IX to make up. It's also why Wake isn't going to have a lacrosse team any time in the near future.

Agree. In this day and age, BCS schools rarely add programs absent the effort to meet Title IX requirements. Really rare for a D-1 school to add a men's program right now.

MD's aquatic center gets a lot of use for local/regional swim competition. I would think MD will make enough through this use to pay for the upkeep.

The odd thing about MD dropping swimming is that the state of MD is home to a bunch of USA's top swim programs (e.g., Michael Phelps North Baltimore Aquatic Club and RMSC). Swimming is one of the few sports where MD produces as many top atletes as any state.

Agree. In this day and age, BCS schools rarely add programs absent the effort to meet Title IX requirements. Really rare for a D-1 school to add a men's program right now.

MD's aquatic center gets a lot of use for local/regional swim competition. I would think MD will make enough through this use to pay for the upkeep.

The odd thing about MD dropping swimming is that the state of MD is home to a bunch of USA's top swim programs (e.g., Michael Phelps North Baltimore Aquatic Club and RMSC). Swimming is one of the few sports where MD produces as many top atletes as any state.

With great facilities and great local recruiting, it doesn't make sense to me to cancel the swimming program. Why not cancel an expensive sport which you aren't any good at, like Mens Baseball. Maryland hasn't been to the NCAA Baseball tournament in 40 years.

Makes me think about what programs could ever get cut at wake. Would hate to see our school not have a track or tennis team.
[/B]

I think Wake currently has close to the NCAA-required minimum total number of sports for men and women, 14. Wake might be able to cut one or two sports but I see no sign of that happening anytime soon.

Number of required sports
: Division I members must offer at least 14 sports (at least seven for men and seven for women, or six for men and eight for women). The institution must sponsor at least two team sports (for example, football, basketball or volleyball) for each gender. The school also must have participating male and female teams or participants in the fall, winter and spring seasons.

Last edited:
I wonder if they also have a JV / practice squad for lacrosse. I am pretty sure lacrosse brings in at least some revenue though.... probably not enough to cover expenses but it isn't a total loss like some of the other sports might be. I bet they sell some ads in their stadium, programs etc etc, sell some tickets... but thinking about how much they'd make doing that vs their expenses I bet it's still a big money pit.

With great facilities and great local recruiting, it doesn't make sense to me to cancel the swimming program. Why not cancel an expensive sport which you aren't any good at, like Mens Baseball. Maryland hasn't been to the NCAA Baseball tournament in 40 years.

We just had a donor give at least a million bucks to the baseball program recently. The baseball field is now named after him. So while baseball was brought up as a consideration, I don't think it was really heavily considered.

And UMD as a school does not have "great local recruiting" when it comes to swimming.

I wonder if they also have a JV / practice squad for lacrosse. I am pretty sure lacrosse brings in at least some revenue though.... probably not enough to cover expenses but it isn't a total loss like some of the other sports might be. I bet they sell some ads in their stadium, programs etc etc, sell some tickets... but thinking about how much they'd make doing that vs their expenses I bet it's still a big money pit.
They don't. There are a lot of guys on the roster that aren't on scholarship, but that roster represents the entire team.

It is with that, the decision by Dr. Loh was to agree and accept the recommendations that were outlined by the “Presidents Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics” and reduce the amount of varsity sponsored programs by six, a total of eight teams. This decision has the primary goal of placing Intercollegiate Athletics on a sustainable financial path without unduly compromising the excellence experience that we strive to provide our student-athletes.

Again, there is no doubt that this is a difficult time for all of us in the Maryland family, but like many times before we have faced difficult challenges and overcame them. I have no doubt that we will answer the call again this time. Thank you for your continued support of our student athletes and Maryland Athletics.[/B]

Does Maryland have an English department? Maybe they should ask for some help from someone who can actually write before they put out a really important press release.

Yeah, Fowler raised a whole bunch of money for construction. He also raised a bunch of money for coaches buyouts.

We just had a donor give at least a million bucks to the baseball program recently. The baseball field is now named after him. So while baseball was brought up as a consideration, I don't think it was really heavily considered.

And UMD as a school does not have "great local recruiting" when it comes to swimming.

Yeah, MD thinks they should be decent at baseball. Lots of talent coming out of the private schools that go to other ACC schools. Also have the DC schools which are usually good as well. The baseball coach they hired recently is really trying to keep in state recruiting at home.

I know VT is also trying to increase their MD presense as well.

At least you get some fans and donations from baseball. Much easier to get donations from MLB alumni like the Blue Jays pitchers then the occasional amazing swimmer which has happened one time. Swimming doesn't have much of an appeal. While MD does have great swimmers, they usually don't go to MD.

I hope Yow tanks the NCSU athletic department the way she did the UMD one.

I'd be amazed if the Wolfpack club allows anything like the Maryland scenario to ever happen at NCSU. It takes a lot more than one AD to screw up an entire athletic program like that.

I'd be amazed if the Wolfpack club allows anything like the Maryland scenario to ever happen at NCSU. It takes a lot more than one AD to screw up an entire athletic program like that.

DY was athletic director for 16 years. So it was one athletic director with basically all of that damage coming in the last half of her tenure. Mostly things that aren't noticable to the average fan.

I didn't mean the AD by themself. I was trying to say that it took several more people in the program to cause this damage, not Yow alone. I can see how it could be read differently than I intended though. She has been great at NCSU so far IMO.

Back