• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland cuts 6 varsity sports (8 total teams)

I would be curious to see how former players contribute to their sport. Obviously not going to pay for a whole lot in most cases, but certainly with some of the teams, it could help their ledger - and as an indicator of what kind of loyalty bridge graduates have with strengthening their former program.

This was not a Title IX issue. MD athletic department is in a major financial hole, and that hole is projected to get larger over the next 5 years. Despite its status as the largest school in the ACC, MD is near the bottom in fund-raising. Also, MD spend the least per athlete as any ACC school.

Debbie Yow left a mess behind when she moved on NC State.

Is MD really the largest ACC school? I never would've guessed that...

Might warrant another thread, but can I get a rundown of why Maryland fans hate Randy Edsall so much?

I know they're having a tough year, but he did a nice job at UConn. I'm sure a lot of it is that people are pissed that the Freidgen got fired, but that's not Edsall's fault.

I don't know if the guy said some dumb shit in the media or if he's done anything particularly egregious, but the hatred for this dude among Maryland fans seems to be off-the-charts.

Might warrant another thread, but can I get a rundown of why Maryland fans hate Randy Edsall so much?

I know they're having a tough year, but he did a nice job at UConn. I'm sure a lot of it is that people are pissed that the Freidgen got fired, but that's not Edsall's fault.

I don't know if the guy said some dumb shit in the media or if he's done anything particularly egregious, but the hatred for this dude among Maryland fans seems to be off-the-charts.
Yeah, you'd never seen anything like that around here.

-He's not Mike Leach
-He's an asshole
-He royally fails press conferences and says shit that makes us facepalm
-He's egotistical
-His recruiting is heinous
-His staff is heinous
-He lucked into a BCS bowl
-He's not Mike Leach

This was not a Title IX issue. MD athletic department is in a major financial hole, and that hole is projected to get larger over the next 5 years. Despite its status as the largest school in the ACC, MD is near the bottom in fund-raising. Also, MD spend the least per athlete as any ACC school.

Debbie Yow left a mess behind when she moved on NC State.

Isn't FSU bigger than UMD?

Per Wikipedia:

FSU
Academic staff 2,150[4]
Admin. staff 6,129[5]
Students 40,838[6]
Undergraduates 31,005[6]
Postgraduates 8,511[6]

UMD
Academic staff 3,996[7]
Admin. staff 5,116[7]
Students 37,641[7]
Undergraduates 26,922[7]
Postgraduates 10,719

Also, the endowment is on par with other schools http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Coast_Conference#Members

Last edited:
-He's not Mike Leach
-He's an asshole
-He royally fails press conferences and says shit that makes us facepalm
-He's egotistical
-His recruiting is heinous
-His staff is heinous
-He lucked into a BCS bowl
-He's not Mike Leach

It would have been so awesome to have Leach in the ACC.

OH and he doesn't play his best players and ruined Kenny Tabe

Yep. Time to kick Merryland out of the ACC. They bring nothing.

he's said some of the stupidest things in the media, including saying MD fans aren't real fans.

MD fans also blame him for ruining Danny O'Brien.

Hearing all the stuff he says, and for how noncompetitive MD is, and the fact that Leach wanted to go there and MD fans really wanted him, I understand the hate for Edsall.

Can y'all give some specific examples of dumb shit he's said? I don't care, I'm just curious.

Can y'all give some specific examples of dumb shit he's said? I don't care, I'm just curious.

Off the top of my head...

"I've been through this before. I know how to handle it. I know what to do. There is no panic. It was like this the first year when we put the team together in Jacksonville. It's Connecticut all over again, 13 years ago."

So essentially, Maryland off a 9 win season with the ACC ROY at QB is the same thing as UConn moving from 1-AA to 1-A to this stupid fucktard. And then he blames the players and not the schemes for all of our special teams problems despite the fact that we were one of the best in the country at special teams last year and now we're DFL in pretty much every stat with pretty much the exact same players. Plenty of other dumb shit too, but that's what I got in the 30 seconds before I blacked out due to anger from thinking about him.

And he doesn't talk about our players fat little girlfriends. He should really be doing that.

Have to wonder if Friedgen poisoned the well. He was pretty pissed (rightfully so) about how his career ended.

I think Edsall is a decent coach, but not the kind of guy you hire after firing a relatively successful one. Anderson followed the Wellman-[Redacted] model almost to the letter.

I view the Edsall hire as very similar to the Bzzz hire in that the fan base was very excited for a short period of time that they'd shed a coach that people were unhappy with and might finally make a momentum-building hire that capitalizes on the newfound energy within the fanbase.

Then they went with the milquetoast candidate and completely gutted their fans. The energy won't return to MD football until the next hire.

where is all the underarmor money? it's a shame that the money doesn't trickle down to the olympic sports.

They're probably socking away some cash so they can pay the entry fee into the Big Ten.

Look up basically any of our players on twitter. You'll start to get a sense for why we hate Edsall.

Back