• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 10: USC Upstate - Saturday 7 pm LJVM - RSN

Pilchard

Reaction score
This Saturday night, our Deacs host the USC-Upstate Spartans. Here is a breakdown of WF's opponent #10:

USC Upstate - School & Program: USC Upstate opened as junior college in 1967 as an educational institution affiliated with Spartanburg Regional Hospital - initially called Spartanburg Regional Campus. In 1975, the school changed its name to USC - Spartanburg. In 2004, apparently unable to make up its mind, the school changed its name again -- this time to USC Upstate. Upstate's current enrollment is 6,000. The Spartans initially competed in the NAIA, winning a hoop NAIA national title in 1982. In 1991, Upstate moved to NCAA D2. At that level, the Spartans participated in 6 D2 NCAA Tourneys. In 2008, Upstate climbed the ladder to D1 joining the Atlantic Sun conference, and they were led by WF's Eddie Payne from 2008 to 2017 -- without notable success. In 2018, former Tulane coach (where he was terrible), Dave Dickerson was named the Spartans' head coach. Dickerson is a SC native; he played college hoop at MD, and was a long-time assistant at MD under Gary Williams and at tOSU under Thad Matta. Heading into this season, Dickerson's career record at USC Upstate was 24-64 (13-37). Not good. The Spartans under Dickerson are 0-7 against power conference teams. This year, Upstate moved from the ASUN conference to the Big South. EDITED TO ADD: Chris Paul brother (not Cliff), CJ, played ball at USC Upstate.
The Spartans are known for their spirit:

maxresdefault.jpg

2021-22 Season: Heading into Saturday, the Spartans stand at 2-6 #334 in KP ratings, against D1 teams the Spartans are 1-6. Their one D1 win was by 4 over #348 SC State. The Spartans have not faced a top 100 team this year, but their next two games are against #58 WF and #12 TN. The Spartans have played one power conference team this year, losing 78-60 to #102 S. Carolina. Last time out, Upstate lost by 5 at home to Justin Gray's WCU Cats. The Spartans struggle on offense (#332) and defense (#333). On offense, Upstate is prone to TOs (#299 in TO rate), and they miss a lot of FTs (65.8% from the line). The Spartans have shot the three reasonably well (35% - #126 on the season). Otherwise, Upstate is below average in every offensive metric. Defensively, the Spartan can't keep their opponents off the offensive glass (#346 in preventing offensive rebounds), and Upstate also fouls a lot (#308 in opponents' FTA per FGA). Upstate has excelled in defending the three point line as opponents have only shot 30.6% from three against them. Upstate is small -- #287 in average height.

Roster:

Against WCU, Upstate started

G 5-10 Fr Jalen Breazeale: 10 assists and 16 TOs on the season; 15 points last game; SC 5A HS POY
G 6-4 Fr Jordan Gainey: 2nd leading scorer (10 ppg); 47% from 3 ; 2nd in boards; double figures in 4 of their 7 D1 games
G/F 6-5 Jr. Mysta Goodloe: from Winston-Salem; didn't play much his first two years; started the last 4 games; 10 points last time out; prone to foul trouble
F 6-6 Bryson Mozone: two year starter; leading scorer (14 ppg); 2nd in assists; 37% from 3; scored 20 against S. Carolina
C 6-8 Josh Aldrich: leading rebounder (6 rpg) and shot blocker (8 on the season); will shoot the 3 (5 for 10 on the season); 93% from the line; prone to fouls

Bench:

G 6-1 Carter Jernigan: played 20 minutes against WCU; 0 for 5 from three on the season
C/F 6-8 Ahmir Langlais: WCU transfer; scored 15 in the win over SC State; 42% from the line
5-10 Sr. Dalvin White: started as sophomore and junior; leads team in assists and steals; 42% from 3

Projection: KP projects a 84-60 win. Of the teams on WF's soft OOC schedule, only Charleston Southern (#342) is rated lower than the #334 Spartans. The Deacs force TOs; the Spartans give up TOs; Spartans like to shoot 3s; WF defends the three point well (30%); Upstate is small (#287 in height); WF is big (#32 in height). While this is a letdown spot, coming off WF's best game of the year at VT and with the team in the midst of exams, even so, WF has many matchup edges on the Spartans. Maybe WF does not win by 24, but WF wins comfortably as long as WF defends the three point shot. Don't like a side or the total as its not clear if WF will bring its A game on Saturday. Also, with the heart of conference play looming, this will be Forbes chance to give minutes to Marsh, McCray and Taylor. Forbes will want to push the game out to a comfortable lead and then substitute freely.

Last edited:
Have we been favored by 24 over anyone in recent memory?

Looking for 3-4 extra tickets so son can bring friends for birthday

You can buy top tank tickets real cheap ($10 I think) and basically pick your seats in the lower bowl since it has only been about half full at best so far this year. Can also check out Stubhub and grab some cheap lower deck tickets ($6 each for four lower level corner tickets). If you want to be the coolest dad ever it looks like there are four seats for sale in the very first row on the sideline near the corner for just under $50 a piece. Love that you're getting the kids out to games! Nothing like seeing it up close and personal as a kid to make you a lifelong fan.

https://www.stubhub.com/wake-forest...tickets-12-11-2021/event/104938593/?sid=54710

Really hoping that with football out of the picture temporarily and the game taking place at a very convenient time on a Saturday night that we can get the best crowd of the year so far in the Joel for this one. It's obviously not an attractive matchup but you should be excited to come see our guys, not who we're playing against. Trust me shell out the $20 or $30 and invest a couple of hours in this team, you will not be disappointed.

Unfortunately it’s not really a convenient time for those of us that don’t live in W-S. If it was an afternoon game I’d be there.

Walk up tickets are $10 per for upper corners then sit anywhere.

This is my plan for tomorrow night. Bringing the family. I really want a Cousin Eddie hat! What time do the gates open?

Bringing my 5 year old to her first Deacs game... Time to stop at the Deacon shop at Hanes Mall tomorrow afternoon to get her some merch Excited to see the team in person, and just fucking hope people show up! GO DEACS!

I really hope Forbes wears an ugly Christmas sweater or something for the Christmas Vacation theme.

I could see Wake getting to a 20+ point lead by early second half and then Forbes substituting liberally and finishing with the walk-ons. Final margin around 20. Could get to 30+ if Upstate does the same because Wake bench>Upstate bench.

Are there any tickets being scalped at the coliseum since tickets are mostly electronic?

Are there any tickets being scalped at the coliseum since tickets are mostly electronic?

The crowds haven’t been big enough for scalping to be profitable. You can walk right up and buy tickets 10 minutes before the game. I’d recommend buying a lower level ticket on Stubhub because I think there will be a decent enough crowd that you won’t want to just rely on your ability to buy a ticket upstairs from the ticket office and move down. This should be our biggest crowd of the year.

Back