• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 11: App State @ LJVM - Wednesday 7 pm - ACCN

It definitely looked like an assistant coach drew up the play and Forbes watched. Credit to Forbes for having an assistant who can draw up a good last second play though.
I think it was Savage. I noticed the same thing - Forbes was in the middle nodding while Savage drew the play on the board. It may have been something where the coaches talked quickly first to design it, then Savage drew it out for the players.

We ain't winning any games w/o a healthy Appleby.

We got a glimpse of what this team looks like when he isn't playing perfect. It ain't pretty.

It definitely looked like an assistant coach drew up the play and Forbes watched. Credit to Forbes for having an assistant who can draw up a good last second play though.
Or Forbes told him what play to run and he drew it up. Which I think is much more likely.

Marsh is still in process of transition (at least mentally) from "baby brother/little brother" (see family pic from his recruitment) to biggest dude on the court. It's probably only been since he got to Wake that he's realized he is the biggest dude who can literally move almost anybody on the court whenever he wants to.

He's still figuring out when to do that, and how to do it (without getting fouls called on himself). As that process continues, I think he has more upside. He also seems to be limited by his stamina. Doesn't look like he can go effectively for long stretches. He needs rest more frequently than some of the other guys. As that improves, he will be a much more difficult matchup and make Wake a more effective team.
I think a lot of it has to do with matchup issues too, especially against teams that have centers who can shoot 3's (see LSU). Marsh is probably the best example of anybody on the team who plays within himself and does exactly what we need him to - solid interior defense, dunk the ball on offense, and rebound the hell out of the ball.

We're pretty fucked overall. Appleby Ituka and Davien not 100%. Last two not playing worth a damn anyways. Monsanto clearly either can't be or wont be allowed to be a solid contributor this year. Keller and Bobi are frosh, good future hopefully but wont win us games. Rest of the rotation is okay, but nothing to write home about.

Going to be a long acc season, was very excited after Wisc but dont see us being above .500 the rest of the way.

Wake can’t win any significant games without Monsanto, if Wake is going to live by the portal then play the best players. If Monsanto is too detrimental to the team then he shouldn’t be on the team. I’d rather seem him play through his issues. Don’t make me watch App beat us with him on the bench. I get the coach is in charge. I saw enough of that with Manning and Bzz.
He is playing through his issues. In practice. He is currently Monsanto ball rather than team ball. You have to give your coach the ability to coach his team. The Monsanto mindset has not changed from mindless chucker to ruthless dagger wielder. Et tu Damari?

I liked what I saw from Carr and klintman. I thought last night showed us how their individual games should be played. Carr was, hopefully, putting it together real time (though lesser competition) and Bobi's game is still slow because he seems to be thinking everything before he tries it.

Seemed like we were seeing some steps. Similar to the Marsh trajectory. I think all three are trying to play their team role within themselves. I'm hoping they keep improving.

I feel like Klintman is improving. Seemed to have a little more confidence last night than previous games. Still hesitant to take it hard to the hoop and passed it out a few times.

He is playing through his issues. In practice. He is currently Monsanto ball rather than team ball. You have to give your coach the ability to coach his team. The Monsanto mindset has not changed from mindless chucker to ruthless dagger wielder. Et tu Damari?

Monsanto may have taken upon himself the job of shooting not just "his" threes, but also those of the absent Williamson and Ituka. He needs to give those shit attempts back now that thosecguys are able to play. He also needs to recognize that the threat of him shooting a three is an effective way to create high percentage shots (like Marsh dunks) for others.

Sometimes it's about what he could do that the opponent defense has to work and commit bodies to prevent rather than what he actually does shooting the ball.

Forbes recruited Monsanto twice and has coached him most of his career. The fact that he still can't trust him to play him a single minute in a close game vs. a shitty team is concerning, at best.
It’s not about trust. Monsanto obviously screwed up royally or is not cutting it in practice, off the court, in the classroom, or whatever. Listen to Forbes’ postgame presser from last night. At the very end he addresses this. And you’re right. Monsanto and Forbes are no strangers to one another. Even more reason why Monsanto should know better. Credit to Forbes for standing his ground. I mean he is the HC after all.

Or Forbes told him what play to run and he drew it up. Which I think is much more likely.

Right. I never understood the concept of drawing up a play in the huddle. Don’t you have 4-5 end of game plays you practice all the time.

Right. I never understood the concept of drawing up a play in the huddle. Don’t you have 4-5 end of game plays you practice all the time.
Even if the coach is drawing something up, I think it would be extremely rare that it is something new and not something the team has practiced a lot. More likely the coach is going over a often practiced play just to focus the players.

It sounds obvious but at some point you just have to make shots. Wake was 18-43 from 2 last night and missed a lot of shots around the rim out to about the 6-8 foot area. We generally make a higher percentage of those.

We were lucky to be able to draw a play. We didn’t have any timeouts — and the video review to check the clock gave us that chance.

I want Bobi to be more aggressive on the offensive end once he gets to the interior. He drove it once and got to the lane where I thought he could have laid it in/shot it, but passed out instead. Then he got a huge offensive rebound late in the game where he probably should have gone straight up, but he kicked it out.

Good problem to have where he's doing the dirty work now, and actually needs to try to score more.
Bobi had a drive early in the game where he was blocked by someone 6 inches shorter than him and then he kind of gave up. He barely gets off the floor when he jumps most times. But yes, I would like to see him be more aggressive because trying is at least better than what he currently does (nothing).

Klintmann about cost us the game with his defensive lapse on the 3. He wasn't guarding anybody.
He was, he just completely fell asleep. It literally looked like he was daydreaming on the replay that showed his face during the play. Just can't happen.

Back