• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 12: WF v. Charlotte - HOF Shootout - Friday 9pm ACCN

Pilchard

Reaction score
The world's worst evaluator of basketball talent, sets forth below an assessment of WF's next opponent - the Charlotte 49ers.

The Event: 8 teams square off in a one day hoop marathon at Charlotte's Spectrum Center. The WF v. Charlotte contest is the final event of the day (for those planning to watch or attend, beware of the impact of the three prior games taking longer than planned). The other three games:

- 1:30:#125 Liberty v. #158 ECU (ESPN+)
- 4: #48 St. Bonnie v. #33 VT (ESPN2)
- 6:30: #66 Richmond v. #79 NC State (ACCN)

WF v. Charlotte is the Deacs last OOC game. After Friday's game, the Deacs will play 19 ACC games in a row to complete the regular season.

2021-22 49ers: In his 4th season, Ron Sanchez's time is running out in Charlotte. The 49ers have been stuck in mediocrity (2019 - #297; 2020 - #164, 2021 - #234) - not what the Charlotte faithful had in mind when they brought in Tony Bennett's top assistant to run the 49er program. Currently, the 5-4 49ers sit at #227 in KP's rankings, and they are projected to finish the season 14-16. If that projection is accurate, Mr. Sanchez may be looking for another job in March. Charlotte started off the year with 3 straight wins over #115 Monmouth, #333 USC Upstate (by 12) and #203 App State, but the 49ers have dropped 4 of their last 6, including by 20 at #35 Arkansas. Last time out, Charlotte nipped #222 Valpo 68-67. When he took the job, Sanchez's calling card was defense, but this Charlotte team has struggled to stop anyone. They currently sit at #287 in defensive efficiency. Charlotte has been ultra soft in the paint allowing opponents to shoot 55% from 2 (#312), Charlotte's 3 point D (#281) is also weak, and they don't force TOs (#257). Crappy defensive team. Charlotte has been solid offensively as they are #56 (53%) in effective FG%, while shooting 36% (#90) from 3, 54% (#71) from 2 and 82% (#7) from the line. While the 49ers can shoot, Charlotte does not draw many fouls (#280) and they don't grab many offensive boards (#314). Like all Tony Bennett influenced teams, Charlotte plays at a slow tempo (#306 in pace).

Roster:

Solid backcourt; wussy frontcourt

Starters: Last time out, Charlotte started:

G 6-1 Jr. Jahmir Young: 3 year starter; leader in scoring (19 ppg) and assists (4 apg); double figures every game; 26 last time out; 35% from 3; 88% from the line; scored 17 against WF as a frosh
G 6-4 Sr. Clyde Trapp: Clemson transfer - started every game for Clemson last year; 49ers 2nd leading rebounder; 10 ppg; 38% from 3
G/F 6-5 Sr. Austin Butler: Holy Cross transfer; 2nd leading scorer (12 ppg); leading rebounder (6.4 rpg): 29% from 3; 18 last time out; foul prone
F 6-7 Jr. Robert Braswell: Syracuse transfer; 47% from 3; 63% from 2; terrible rebounder for his size (1 rpg); 11 for 11 from the FT line
C 6-11 Fr. Aly Khalifa: from Egypt; skilled: 35% from 3; 61% from 2; leads team in blocks; 2nd in assists; tepid rebounder 4 rpg

Bench:

F 6-5 Sr. Marvin Cannon: Washington State transfer; scored 9 against Davidson; an impossibly bad 5 rebounds on the year --- in 212 minutes of action;
C 6-8 So. Jared Garcia: 9 points against Arkansas' 4 three point attempts on the season; another big who won't rebound
F 6-8 Sr. Luka Vasic: from Serbia; 13 points on the season, and you guessed it, doesn't like to rebound

The Projection: KP projects a 77-66 WF win to cap off a 10-1 OOC season; as confirmed by Deacon Sports, I am the worst at projecting everything; so, I see an easy 49er win with Charlotte using its lack of size, will and effort to dominate WF inside. Also, projecting Alondes "Nothing Burger" Williams to go scoreless. Not really. Feel like if LaRavia can play and no other Deacs go into protocol, WF will win easily. If LaRavia is out, this game will be a sweat. The 49ers are a lot like VMI, just a little more athletic but softer. Unlike last night, will be following the media reports identifying who is and isn't warming up before the game. If LaRavia is out and line is close to 10, Charlotte is the play. If LaRavia plays, its WF or pass.

Last edited:
Its nice of them to start this late enough for me to get home from Granddaughter No. 1's game.

I will be there on the floor! Looking forward to cheering on another win. Go Deacs!

Might be a shootout, but I am sure Forbes noticed what adjustments worked in the second half yesterday and we will defend them well. Having Jake would be big but I think he's less important in this game since they don't play zone.

I think there’s a better chance CBS comes back than some think.

Well, taking the family to the USC Upstate game may have turned my oldest daughter into a suffering Wake fan. She's planning to watch this game with me Friday night and wants me to get us tickets for BC next week. I don't know what to do. Am I a bad father?

Well, taking the family to the USC Upstate game may have turned my oldest daughter into a suffering Wake fan. She's planning to watch this game with me Friday night and wants me to get us tickets for BC next week. I don't know what to do. Am I a bad father?

This is good, get her hooked now.

Good time to buy stock in the Deacs. We are pretty good at every sport currently.

That's actually the worst time to buy.

Well shit you know what I mean. People are still sleeping on us, so our share price hasn't peaked. It's starting to trend up, but if you don't want to miss the boat you need to jump in and buy up that deacon stock.

One of the many joys of Wake's football season is that it got my kids interested (or at least paying attention) to Wake sports for the first time ever. For most of their lives, Wake's been a punch line.

One of the many joys of Wake's football season is that it got my kids interested (or at least paying attention) to Wake sports for the first time ever. For most of their lives, Wake's been a punch line.

My son is almost 16 and I often have to remind him that Wake football has been better in his lifetime than it has ever been. Basketball however.... well, at least there is some hope now.

I highly doubt this game starts before around 9:45. It if is fourth game in a quadruple header, with each game having 2:30 hours between scheduled tip times. Usually an event like this ensures teams have at least 20 or 25 minutes to warm up following the conclusion of the previous game, so if any of these games go to OT or have a lot of fours it is easy to have some delays pile up. Plenty of time to grab drinks before hand or enjoy the previous games for those attending.

I have long believed that was one of the big intangible losses during that 10 year drought. The loss of family memory making especially between the generations. You can’t really put a price on that. I know it has been sad for me not to be able to share wake basketball joys with my kids until more recently.

I highly doubt this game starts before around 9:45. It if is fourth game in a quadruple header, with each game having 2:30 hours between scheduled tip times. Usually an event like this ensures teams have at least 20 or 25 minutes to warm up following the conclusion of the previous game, so if any of these games go to OT or have a lot of fours it is easy to have some delays pile up. Plenty of time to grab drinks before hand or enjoy the previous games for those attending.

Will they not warm up on the practice court to minimize time needed on the main court for warmups?

I have long believed that was one of the big intangible losses during that 10 year drought. The loss of family memory making especially between the generations. You can’t really put a price on that. I know it has been sad for me not to be able to share wake basketball joys with my kids until more recently.

This is so so so so huge. When I was growing up and in school in WS wake was always pretty good. My family, and grandparents went to so many games. I didn't miss any basketball games, the football tailgates with all my friends were so much fun. We weren't great at football but we were still wake fans because we always had basketball. I didn't go to wake but am still a huge wake fan, live in town and want to go to games. I didn't go much the last few years, but i've been to 6 basketball games already this year and am already mad about the few on the schedule i have to miss during acc season (damn weddings).

Any kids now that are age 8-20 have not really seen any wake success. Some in football, but it's hard to appreciate those smaller victories when you aren't lured in by the basketball team. I started at 8 because below that it's hard to realize what's going on. That's a full generation of WS and surrounding areas where WF has been a joke, that's hard to make up. These kids didn't grow up watching the players we all talk about they saw BZZZ and Manning. They won't have good memories, they won't stay wake fans, they won't be bringing their kids to wake games. It's a tough hill, but winning is the first step

I think we see a big bounce-back game from Davien. He usually gashes teams that don't have a rim protector.

Back