• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 13: Duke Blue Devils @ LJVM - Tuesday 6:30 ACCN

Thought Scheyer never really caught on to Forbes letting Cam and Ty run ISO on the right side of the court and just letting them cook 1 on 1.

Let's just take a moment of silence for li'l donnie. He's gotta be feeling bad this morning. Cheer up chap, you've still got your keys I hope.

Cam is an effing warrior. We won that game despite Appleby having a B (B-) game. Carr - very solid performance, great D on Flipkowski. Monsanto - regardless of whatever his final line was, that was his best game. He moved the ball, took shots within the offense, and didn't have any real boneheaded plays aside from leaving a Duke big alone on a switch.

Cam is an effing warrior. We won that game despite Appleby having a B (B-) game. Carr - very solid performance, great D on Flipkowski. Monsanto - regardless of whatever his final line was, that was his best game. He moved the ball, took shots within the offense, and didn't have any real boneheaded plays aside from leaving a Duke big alone on a switch.
saw that play. I don't think it was a boneheaded play, I think it was just great timing by the duke player. They threw the ball into him basically as soon as Williamson came off him and before Monsanto could body him up.

We have two season changing wins this year that we just couldn't quite get last year. That's the beauty of playing the schedule we have played so far. We've had two chances at true Q1 wins and took them both, even if we did get sloppy and completely throw away two Q2 games (LMU and LSU). We were playing on such a thin margin last year and two bad losses kept us out of the tourney because we didn't have season changing Q1 wins. Now, different story altogether.

He just needs to stop the dribbling for about 20 seconds, backing down into the lane and getting stuffed by 2 or 3 defenders that are 4-6 inches taller than him.

He just needs to stop the dribbling for about 20 seconds, backing down into the lane and getting stuffed by 2 or 3 defenders that are 4-6 inches taller than him.
All about quick, decisive moves in the post whether you're a guard backing someone down or a big catching the ball on the block. He's improved in this area so far this year and was great last night, but always room for more improvement.

I hope Scheyer gets fired and is wildly successful at some non-ACC school.

How sweet would it be to watch Duke sanctimoniously cudgel not just one of their own, but K's hand picked successor? K, while being the biggest self-agrandizing twat to ever grace God's creation, is the level of petty that this would probably destroy his relationship with Duke.

Then, for Duke basketball to sink into a deep abyss while they watch their discarded coach succeed elsewhere, destroying their self-assigned basketball infallibility would be the coup de grâce.

Then Cameron burns down or something. Idc what happens at that point.
Duke will be an interesting case study for the next 5-10 years. They are still recruiting at an extremely high level (for now.)

K = Duke for essentially three generations. Any born after ~1970 has no familiarity of what Duke was like beforehand, and no one knows what it will be like afterward. Scheyer has to sell Duke, not his own coaching prowess and connections. That is a totally different.

NIL will probably hurt them as well, as more teams will be paying similar to what they have the last 30 years.

I was thinking this during the game, but afterwards I thought that maybe he was just testing the limits of what he could do against Duke's defense. He was 2-7 at one point, but ended up 7-15 overall, and was an integral part of the win.

Awesome win last night, very encouraging

regarding the deserved free throw advantage: WF did make more free throws than Duke attempted in home wins over Duke in 2014 and 2020, as is supposed to happen when you attack the basket vs. jack up 3's. So while K did without question get more than his fair share of calls, last night was not a total anomaly. I'll wait and see how the FT numbers stack up in Durham.

I was thinking this during the game, but afterwards I thought that maybe he was just testing the limits of what he could do against Duke's defense. He was 2-7 at one point, but ended up 7-15 overall, and was an integral part of the win.
Absolutely. I just don't think the slow dribble backing down into the lane is going to be his game. As was mentioned, quick and decisive moves which result in either a shot or a pass to the open man is going to be his game I think.

For the most part...but good points.

Cam’s game has become one of my favorite things to watch when it’s working, aside from seeing Monsanto hitting shots from halfcourt. Someone else said his game was YMCA-like and I think that’s it. Like watching a (far far better) version of ourselves.

Sooner or later a lane’s going to stay open a little too long and he’s going to put some stiff on a poster.

Duke will be an interesting case study for the next 5-10 years. They are still recruiting at an extremely high level (for now.)

K = Duke for essentially three generations. Any born after ~1970 has no familiarity of what Duke was like beforehand, and no one knows what it will be like afterward. Scheyer has to sell Duke, not his own coaching prowess and connections. That is a totally different.

NIL will probably hurt them as well, as more teams will be paying similar to what they have the last 30 years.
Hell, the ACC and college sports will be an interesting case study for the next 10 years. The football / money obsession is continuing to drive the league away from basketball towards football in an attempt to increase revenue. From a purely sporting/tradition perspective this is a huge negative, but I reluctantly understand that "college athletics" doesn't really exist anymore, just the college football money machine plus a minimum of 26 other sports required to have a football team. My guess would be that in the mid 2020s ACC basketball returns to the forefront of the sport, but as we get towards the next round of realignment when the SEC tries to poach the ACC in 2033ish, we will either see ACC football become financially viable for the football factories or we will lose the ACC as we know it altogether. The commissioner has been quite clear and intentional in saying that basketball doesn't matter anymore as pathetic and symbolic of American greed as that is.

First against AP-ranked team. VT was KP top 25 at the time. UNC became top 25 later in year. Neither were AP ranked at time of game.
Yes, that stat is always a reflection of that point in time and kind of silly. Wisconsin is currently #17 in the AP poll, Wake wins on their court but didn't beat a top 25 team. The media has always been drawn to the AP/Coaches polls which are usually misleading.

I’d love to see Damari take more midrange opportunities off the shot fake. Guys are flying at him when he has the ball at the 3 pt line. He usually does the dribble step back which seems to fall less often. That shot he got at the FT line late last night was beautiful and soooo open.

Back