• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 13B: WF at L'ville - 8 pm ACC Network (for now)

We didn't play our best and lost to a good ACC team on the road. That part is fine.

What's not fine is how this game embodied the absolute shit show that college basketball has turned into. The last Alondes foul was perfect defense. You essentially cannot defend a player jumping at an angle to get a layup if that is a foul. And while Walton's other fouls were well-deserved, his last was garbage as well. It was just ridiculously inconsistent reffing - touch fouls on shots, but strong handchecks and bodying up guys all night from Louisville not called.

So then you get to the end of the game with 29 seconds on the clock and a 2 point game, we play it exactly right knowing we don't have to foul, and they just turn off the fucking shot clock for no reason. Do the refs notice? Stop play? Fix it? Review the clock? Of course not. The clock runs down and our guys are like what the hell why is there no shot clock at all and the game is essentially over as it hands them 2 points and they go up 4.

I'm not saying we win - this really came down to Locke hitting a contested 3 and Williamson missing a wide open one in response, but damn that was straight garbage as a whole. Sad to see what they've done to such a great game.

In other news, State imploded down the stretch in a big way down In Miami

Wish we got a replay of Williams’ 4th foul. Looked so bad in real time, but would like to see if there was any body contact.

There were very few replays in that game especially replays of fouls.

This. I've lost almost all interest in the game. It's been overtaken by pisspoor officiating that disrupts any flow.

The problem is that this has been true for awhile. I fear if the pendulum were going to swing back it would have by now.

"They do a good job of playing hard without fouling. We have to learn to do that better."

Skip

At least I woke up today mad that we lost. I’ve watched pretty much every game over the last decade with apathy. It’s nice to care again.

This. I've lost almost all interest in the game. It's been overtaken by pisspoor officiating that disrupts any flow.

College basketball is pretty much unwatchable unless you are in it just for a rooting interest. We flipped over to this game after the Hornets-Pacers game and it is not even the same sport, even my 12-year-old basketball junkie kid got up and left the room. Awful 3, foul shots, awful 3, turnover, foul, turnover, foul shots, brick, foul shots, awful 3. From an entertainment standpoint it is horrific.

At least I woke up today mad that we lost. I’ve watched pretty much every game over the last decade with apathy. It’s nice to care again.

Yep same. Even tossed and turned a few times last night. And drank more bourbon last night than I have in the last few months. Deacs got me drinking again!! Woo hoo

Pretty much agree with everything said here, but we also did a poor job of converting easy baskets. Walton must have missed 3 or 4 from two or three feet.

Going into the game, WF was the better 3 PT shooting team on the season. L'ville shot 46% from 3. WF shot 26% from 3.

Going into the game, WF scored a significantly higher percentage of its points from the line. L'ville shot 34 FTs. WF shot 18.

Pretty amazing that WF led most of the way, and led by 1 with 1:30 to go.

L'ville had their best shooting game of the year versus a quality opponent, and they got the better of the 50/50 whistles. WF plays L'ville again in W-S. Like WF's chances in that game and if WF faced them in the tournament. WF has the edge everywhere except the Cards have a deeper bench.

Yeah, a rusty LaRavia plus our bench (Sy, Hildreth, Whitt) combined to go 1/9 from deep with the bench playing extended minutes because of shitty officiating. I thought that offensive foul against Alondes after he'd already gotten past his man really screwed him up. They'd already let Louisville's Williams get away with bumping him during blocks inside, they call him for touch fouls so he's off the floor half the first half, then they ring him up for an offensive foul trying to get a mid-range look. Pretty understandable that he'd feel long jumpers were the only way he was allowed to score.

Such a joke for Locke and Williams to combine for 7/11 for 30% of Louisville's points. Looking forward to beating this shitbag program back in Winston-Salem. Would love to face them late in the ACC Tourney as well.

The problem is that this has been true for awhile. I fear if the pendulum were going to swing back it would have by now.
I believe you are correct. I'm in the minority but I'd be fine with NBA rules for college.

It would give the game some rhythm and flow. Two hours of marching back and forth to watch free throws is just not fun.

Yeah, a rusty LaRavia plus our bench (Sy, Hildreth, Whitt) combined to go 1/9 from deep with the bench playing extended minutes because of shitty officiating. I thought that offensive foul against Alondes after he'd already gotten past his man really screwed him up. They'd already let Louisville's Williams get away with bumping him during blocks inside, they call him for touch fouls so he's off the floor half the first half, then they ring him up for an offensive foul trying to get a mid-range look. Pretty understandable that he'd feel long jumpers were the only way he was allowed to score.

Such a joke for Locke and Williams to combine for 7/11 for 30% of Louisville's points. Looking forward to beating this shitbag program back in Winston-Salem. Would love to face them late in the ACC Tourney as well.

I still can't believe this call. This was the definition of the homer/coach influenced/fan influenced call. Alondes was stronger and more powerful going to the rim, and the only thing that could stop him was a made up whistle to please the fans. Felt like a game in Cameron or the Dean Dome last night. Mack heavily influenced the refs last night.

It's sad, because a game like last night *should* have been really enjoyable. Good defense, solid shotmaking on both sides down the stretch, talent on both ends, good coaching and a good crowd.

But instead the refs are supposed to "control" the game. A player is deemed "too physical" so touch fouls start getting called, players start focusing on drawing calls from eager refs, fouls pile up, then you're in a free throw contest with over 10 minutes left. And then the refs are faced with the decision of whether to continue ruining the game and fouling out every player, or just completely changing the way they call the game. And all that in preparation for an NCAA tournament where most refs will revert back to allowing more physical play and a watchable product.

God forbid the NCAA start using quarters like every other basketball league on the planet so we don't get halves where 60% of the minutes played are in the bonus.

I hoped that change was on the way when women’s hoops went to quarters. But I guess not.

Back