• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 14: VT Hokies @ LJVM - Saturday Noon - Regional Sports Networks

Basically a section upstairs and behind the VT bench downstairs, with a few scattered elsewhere. They started getting loud when Tech started building a lead but got quiet in a hurry when Wake came back.

I know a LOT of VT grads in the arena.

If were gonna talk about anybody being meh on the team it’s gotta be Bradford for me. If he starts a post move right now he may finish it by the second half of the UNC game

I wonder what Forbes said to Pedulla for the double T. That was hilarious. I did see him say to the ref after “he can’t say that to me” but I don’t know what Forbes chirped back at him.

Posted earlier:

Pedulla told the Wake bench they couldn’t f-ing guard him, Forbes said “shut your f-ing mouth, shut your f-ing mouth” and they both got teed up.

Mike Young asked Forbes what Pedulla said. When Forbes told him, Young yelled at Pedulla to keep his f-ing mouth shut

Yeah. I don’t know why I thought he was a grad transfer. He’s got time and room to improve. He just needs to play 5-10 good minutes.
He lost 30-40 LBs after signing. He has time but it will be a portal decision to find his best level to play. Keller will also get stronger.

I’m going to be vomiting the majority of the time between now and Wednesday night

He lost 30-40 LBs after signing. He has time but it will be a portal decision to find his best level to play. Keller will also get stronger.
It is too early to give up on Bradford. Forbes is pleased with his play, especially with his defense. Also, similar to Marsh, Bradford has minimal attempts offensively but he is shooting 80%(16of 20)from the floor. In total our two centers are shooting an astounding 50 of 58 from the floor. I have never heard of a similar stat, EVER.

Teams around us are outpacing their projections by more than us. We were like a 2 point underdog and won by 2 so even though it’s a win on the binary front, it’s only a slight difference from what we were projected to do.

I’d say that your KP doesn’t matter (and specifically KP doesn’t) but a lot of same metrics KP uses - adjusted efficiency on offense and defense - are what the NET uses as well and where the quadrants come from. Wake is 81 in NET.

I just got home from the game. I thought VPI played outstanding defense in general, especially against Cam. They effectively denied entry passes to Marsh. Monsanto was pretty bad early on which led to his benching and Klintman's increased playing time.

There were way too many Hokies in the Joel. The Hokie next to me (in a wake fan's season ticket seat) bitched about every call against them and thought we committed around 40 fouls. I would have said something to him, but he had his 4 +/- old daughter with him.
Before Beamer retired, most Hokies would say with a straight face that basketball doesnt matter, or that they only watch VT basketball when they play Dook, UNC, or UVA. Now that Fuente left their football program in ruins, they have focused on basketball and the simple knowledge of the game just isnt there. They carry that same energy with national championships. It used to be "no one cares about olympic sport natties", to them almost planning parades as they thought they would win one in either softball or baseball this past spring.

Teams around us are outpacing their projections by more than us. We were like a 2 point underdog and won by 2 so even though it’s a win on the binary front, it’s only a slight difference from what we were projected to do.

I’d say that your KP doesn’t matter (and specifically KP doesn’t) but a lot of same metrics KP uses - adjusted efficiency on offense and defense - are what the NET uses as well and where the quadrants come from. Wake is 81 in NET.
What qualitative and/or quantitative shortcomings do you find with the NET paradigm?

I see where some "objectivity" is warranted in an evaluation process, but it seems they ain't a whole lotta soul in it. Small sample space overall, I know, but it didn't serve us well last year.

Maybe I'm just looking for excuses/rationalizations.

What was Rutgers in NET last year when they got a bid?
80 but they were 7-7 vs Quad 1

Rutgers played an awful, AWFUL non-con last year but also played in the B1G and beat good B1G teams, mostly at home.

I mean their non con was AWFUL

their best non-con win was Clemson at home. Other than that, they beat 5 teams rated 290 or worse in NET. They went 6-4 OOC, and Seton Hall was the only other remotely decent OOC team they played. Seton Hall blew them out.

Rutgers also lost to DePaul (103 in NET), UMASS (178), and Lafayette (319!!!)

The focus on Quad 1 above and beyond the NET rating is an absolute joke (when you do that, a road win over the #75 team in the country is exactly as good as a road win over #1, and infinitely better than a road win over #76), especially since who you played and how you did is already baked into NET.

Last edited:
And you have situations like this weekend where beating a Top 30 team turns a Q1 win into a Q2 win.

Back