• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 15: FSU @ LJVM: Tuesday 7 pm RSN - Bally Sports

We did a good job of rebounding, but with the brick show put on by FSU anyone would have a good rebounding night.

As stated previously, WF rebounded a much higher percentage of their own missed shots (37% to 15% for FSU)

Those are great stats, and we would have won the rebounding battle regardless bc of how well we played and hit the glass. Just pointing out that generally when the opponent shoots that poorly the total rebound stats are going to favor you. Not trying to be negative just speaking objectively. I really liked the hustle we showed particularly on the defensive end and that had something to do with those shots missing.

I think for a pure PG, the top things they need.

- ability to dribble - check
- ability to pass - check with some better decision making
- run the offense - a little too much dribbling at times but generally ok
- ability to defend your man - work in process
- be a threat on offense so your man has to guard you - needs improvement

Not sure how anyone can complain when CW started the game and split time with Cam and we win by 20. I certainly didn't feel like things were falling apart when CW was in the game.

My understanding is Cam was playing in some pro league and it shows as his body is more developed and he's more physical. CW needs to improve, but that's from a frosh to a soph type improvement, but he's gone from HS where he probably could do what he wanted with the ball because he was far better than others, to needing to handle the physical ACC play and a faster game.

Ish and CW are clearly not the same player, but if we could pull up threads from Ish's frosh and soph year, there was a good number of people that determined he was not an ACC caliber PG. He was fast but out of control many times and shot poorly. Now he has a 10+ year NBA career. Anyone that says they saw that for Ish is a liar.

Watched the postgame presser and one of the reporters asked Sy how things changed defensively coming out of an early timeout. His response was classic: “you know how coach is….he chew on us” lolol

Carter had a few really bad passes and a ton of missed opportunities to take open shots in rhythm.

Nobody was immune to these things, though.

Jake had 8 turnovers!!! ManMan had 5.

Carter, fwiw, had 2 in a game where two of his teammates combined for 13.

Likewise, these guys are too unselfish on the perimeter. I remember a few times where Zay had to take outrageously bad three point shots because no fewer than 3 guys passed up open looks from 3.

So idk. I think we’re starting to see camps emerge which means discourse will be dead before Carter’s sophomore year. He started because he was next man up. He was fine for most of the game and pretty bad for some of it. That tracks with the whole freshman thing, I think. And we still absolutely crushed FSU. Just breathe, yall.

Carter has definitely struggled this year and I think in his second year of college ball we would have liked to see better, but he's by no means a lost cause. In the 90 seconds he played McCray looked so much better and more confident than he had earlier in the year where he looked like a chicken with its head cut off. That drive to the rim and bucket looked very confident and under control. If Daivien is out on Saturday I'd love to see some more time for McCray.

Forbes has seen both guys practice 115+ times since July. I don’t think 90 seconds of McCray in a blowout win is going to suddenly change his mind on whether he or Whitt should be getting the backup PG minutes.

Carter has definitely struggled this year and I think in his second year of college ball we would have liked to see better, but he's by no means a lost cause. In the 90 seconds he played McCray looked so much better and more confident than he had earlier in the year where he looked like a chicken with its head cut off. That drive to the rim and bucket looked very confident and under control. If Daivien is out on Saturday I'd love to see some more time for McCray.

Carter is not truly in year 2. He walked on to campus straight out of high school and started games in the ACC, because we needed help last year. Most freshman get introduced to college life and basketball gradually beginning in August. Adding the covid mess with the schedule and practice last year, he was playing with guys he hadn't played with as well. All those guys are now gone except Zeke and Williamson.

If you look at Carter's real timeline, he's basically finishing his first full year right now. And given the hot mess the team was last year I'm not sure how much is going to carry over for a premi-frosh.

I wonder how many other players would be given a pass or excused with the following stats: 16 minutes played per game, 30%on fg(23%3pt.fg), 26 assists and 28 to's .As to being a freshman it's pretty obvious when one has the skills and athleticism to compete at this level and he has now had a year of experience. As far as Forbes giving him the start, who else does he have? As far as the statement about not needed to score, there is no way you beat good teams consistently playing 4 on offense against 5 on defense, you at least have to be a threat and make open shots. A pg has to be able to go to the basket and create openings. Ler me stress I'm talking about the present time. No one would be happier than me if he gets stronger and becomes an ACC level player.

I wonder how many other players would be given a pass or excused with the following stats: 16 minutes played per game, 30%on fg(23%3pt.fg), 26 assists and 28 to's .As to being a freshman it's pretty obvious when one has the skills and athleticism to compete at this level and he has now had a year of experience. As far as Forbes giving him the start, who else does he have? As far as the statement about not needed to score, there is no way you beat good teams consistently playing 4 on offense against 5 on defense, you at least have to be a threat and make open shots. A pg has to be able to go to the basket and create openings. Ler me stress I'm talking about the present time. No one would be happier than me if he gets stronger and becomes an ACC level player.

Do y’all remember when Joe Dukes or Harvey Hale were our starting PGs? It gets worse

That's where I am, but at this point, I am laying low with my projections of WF Hoop players... ;)

No, don't do that. Please keep saying stupid shit that will fuel our players.

Re: Carter...we just need more production from him. It's as simple as that. He's playing within himself and I think he's got really good court vision and makes some beautiful passes, but he lacks any sort of aggressiveness which may help him create his own shot and round out his game. This is a bad example because Alondes is a freak, but Carter played three less minutes than him last night and gave us virtually nothing on the offensive end. That's got to improve. Not to be rude, but he's super weak. He needs more time to develop, but mostly he needs to double down with the 'Get Right' program this summer to be as effective as he could be. Two steaks in the buffet line for that guy...shit Cam too while we're at it.

Last edited:
I don’t see it with Whitt either. I’ll be shocked if he is our starting point guard at any point in his career. There are just so many better options out there for us to jump on when the season is over.

Yea I agree with everything you said. Hopefully he gets bigger and more confident in his stroke.

I like Carter. Want him to succeed.

My concern is that he seems to have regressed noticeably from the end of last season. Not what you want to see.

Alot of Whitt analysis. Things will pan out one way or the other. Cam will get more time if he is playing better. I think with the total change in personnel this year it changed the mind set of the guys that were here. Mucius I think took a few games to adapt and I think Whitt will be more comfortable as the season progresses. He has excellent vision and is a good shooter when the comfort/confidence level is there. Perhaps focus on all the positives we have going on as there are a lot. Love Forbes and the personality. He is a salesman.

"A 6-foot-4 Raleigh native with enough flowing blond hair to make Fabio jealous, Whitt averaged 22.3 points, 9.0 rebounds and 8.3 assists as a junior while leading Leesville Road to a 21-8 record and the Cap 7 Conference championship.

He earned All-Star honors in each of his three prep seasons and was rated as the No. 1 point guard prospect in North Carolina.

His plan all along was to skip his final season of high school and enroll early at Wake — the school his father attended and which he rooted for as a youngster.

The idea, however, was that he would simply practice, watch and learn in preparation for the 2021-22 season. But everything changed thanks to two unintended consequences of the coronavirus pandemic."

I'm assuming Carter is only 18 and played last year at 17, I can't find a birth date.

I'd also note that last year he was listed at 180 and this year at 180, so he definitely hasn't bulked up, which he needs to do.

Sometimes one level doesn't translate to the next but I think if you nearly averaged a triple double in HS you know the gap between where you are and where you expect to be.

Back