• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 15: FSU @ LJVM: Tuesday 7 pm RSN - Bally Sports

Would like to see us go to the bounce entry pass a little more. Rifling the ball works well against most teams, but long athletic teams tend to get their hand on the ball more. Plus, supper fastballs are sometimes hard for your teammate to handle. A few more Dave Odom bounce passes will improve this team's efficiency.

We had at least three turnovers when the player couldn’t handle a fastball. Gminski commented one time that had it been a bounce pass, it would have been a layup.

We had at least three turnovers when the player couldn’t handle a fastball. Gminski commented one time that had it been a bounce pass, it would have been a layup.

Yeah, but fuck that orange mother fucker!

Does that mean Bunny Colvin is also 73 now?

I just don't see Carter Whitt becoming any type of starting caliber ACC PG. He ate up some minutes tonight, and thats about it. If you play 25 minutes you're going to come into something, and congratulating a starting PG on 1 steal in 25 minutes is laughable. He got a few boards, like every single player who played tonight, it was brick city you couldn't not get a rebound.

He just doesn't pass the eye test at all, he can't get by anyone, looks tentative all the time. He struggled getting the ball to halfcourt several times and threw a couple bad passes. He's scared to shoot when hes open, and when he does it misses. At the end he started forcing a couple to get some points on the board I guess, I just don't see it at all.

Whitt looks like a freshman to me, and I think he did what he was asked to do last night. The biggest difference between Whitt and Cam at this point is physicality. Cam is obviously strong and plays like it, whereas Whitt is just going to need more time.

Carter Whitt slides into a starting role and has 2 turnovers against a giant, athletic FSU team on the way to a blowout win and folks are like, nah, this kid will never be good. Guess Forbes has no idea what he's doing.

50/50 chance Carter turns into a starting level ACC PG.

I'm definitely not writing him off. Must get stronger and develop a knockdown 40% 3 pt shot.

I think Whitt played within himself last night. He handled the ball pretty well overall, distributed the ball well, got some nice deflections, played good D. He looks a little tentative on offense as far as driving and shooting in the lane, but he's had a lot of shots blocked previously so that could be why. Overall, I think he did what coach Forbes and the team needed him to do last night. As others have said, he's a freshman and is pretty much playing like one. Last year didn't count and didn't really help him much being a COVID season.

Jury is still out on Carter Whitt, but getting closer to a decision. He plays with zero confidence and people don't really have to expend any effort into guarding him because he doesn't take shots. He started to shoot yesterday when there were like 2 minutes left in the game and we had a 20 point lead and McCray was in. At one point, he was 0-0 and Hildreth was 0-5, with both I think having a couple assists and Hildreth having a few more rebounds. But the thing with Hildreth is that while he may shoot about as poorly as Whitt, you still have to respect him or he'll take it to the hoop occasionally. He isn't afraid to get in there and mix it up. Carter is dribble, dribble, dribble, pass. Now the good news is that they're both pretty competent dribblers, I guess.

I realize CW is still a freshman, but by the end of this year he will have a year and a half of hoops under his belt. That's not a small sample size. I don't see the game improving now in the heat of conference play, but anything is possible.

My main issue with Carter last night wasn't as much the turnovers, but from the eye test it seemed like our offense flowed much more quickly and efficiently when he was on the bench. He also took some pretty poor shots at some inopportune times imo.

Jury is still out on Carter Whitt, but getting closer to a decision. He plays with zero confidence and people don't really have to expend any effort into guarding him because he doesn't take shots. He started to shoot yesterday when there were like 2 minutes left in the game and we had a 20 point lead and McCray was in. At one point, he was 0-0 and Hildreth was 0-5, with both I think having a couple assists and Hildreth having a few more rebounds. But the thing with Hildreth is that while he may shoot about as poorly as Whitt, you still have to respect him or he'll take it to the hoop occasionally. He isn't afraid to get in there and mix it up. Carter is dribble, dribble, dribble, pass. Now the good news is that they're both pretty competent dribblers, I guess.

I realize CW is still a freshman, but by the end of this year he will have a year and a half of hoops under his belt. That's not a small sample size. I don't see the game improving now in the heat of conference play, but anything is possible.
Whitt's coach said we don't need him to score, though he can. Forbes seems comfortable with his role.

Deacs were +23 in rebounding against the biggest team in the nation. Kudos.

We did a good job of rebounding, but with the brick show put on by FSU anyone would have a good rebounding night.

We did a good job of rebounding, but with the brick show put on by FSU anyone would have a good rebounding night.

We've had games (maybe not this year) where we rebounded really well because we missed a ton of shots. Just because FSU missed a lot doesn't mean a huge team like that shouldn't have gone out and got the rebounds.

Back