• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 15: @ FSU Tuesday (yikes) 7 pm ACCN

Obviously neither Marsh or Keller are ideal to have as a backup 5. Marsh has some of the worst hands and rebounding ability (especially for a player 7'+) that I've seen so not sure how much he would've ended up helping especially against a team that seemed to do a good job deflecting and ripping the ball. I certainly get the argument, just saying, in my opinion, I'm not sure Marsh does anything to remedy the issue

Keller is the least instinctual big man rebounder I've seen, and that includes Marsh. Marsh's turtle-like speed is what usually gets him late for boards. Keller stands under the basket and waits for a rebound, which then predictably goes off to one side or the front of the basket where somebody else is able to grab it because he is not in position to rebound.

Keller boxes out well, but does not have the length to go get it. He plays good position defense, then gets bullied (weight room).

That said, he can shoot it, and that helps us, as his no conscience jumper vs. Miami was CLUTCH.

See my comment above. He's not boxing out anybody if he's not near the rebound.

Both Marsh and Keller are just not good players, and largely for different reasons. When they have decent spells or possessions during the game, it stands out because they aren't good. Keller is what you get if Phil Medline and Carter Whitt had a baby. Marsh is...Marsh.

I think Keller fits more of Forbes' mold, being a big body with range to stretch the floor. But he's so bad on the inside for a guy that size that whatever he brings to the outside game is more than offset, especially since we have four guys on the floor already who can shoot threes.

Keller is the least instinctual big man rebounder I've seen, and that includes Marsh. Marsh's turtle-like speed is what usually gets him late for boards. Keller stands under the basket and waits for a rebound, which then predictably goes off to one side or the front of the basket where somebody else is able to grab it because he is not in position to rebound.

See my comment above. He's not boxing out anybody if he's not near the rebound.

Both Marsh and Keller are just not good players, and largely for different reasons. When they have decent spells or possessions during the game, it stands out because they aren't good. Keller is what you get if Phil Medline and Carter Whitt had a baby. Marsh is...Marsh.

I think Keller fits more of Forbes' mold, being a big body with range to stretch the floor. But he's so bad on the inside for a guy that size that whatever he brings to the outside game is more than offset, especially since we have four guys on the floor already who can shoot threes.
Meh, I've been watching him box out and then either a more athletic big goes right over his back for the board, or he lacks the athleticism or length to grab it. Several times v. Miami.

I missed almost alt of the FSU game since I had to work and that was an easy road win for us against a down team in an empty arena. So, maybe he did what you are saying a bunch in that game.

Not a good thing.

Interesting conversation.

I would have played Marsh last night when Reid and Carr were sitting with foul problems, maybe earlier. Keller and MMM got bounced around from jump street. Marsh has shortcomings. Size is not one of them. A couple of alley oop slam dunks could have changed the complexion of the game. If Matt had a mean streak that would have been encouraged. Bounce a couple bodies to the floor. When you are getting beat up with no whistle, send a clear message.

I've been encouraged by the improvement in Keller's game and MMM has had bright spots. I am concerned about depth behind Carr and Reid going forward. The level of play is more physical and skilled. Given the rotation, we will see if Keller and MMM can cut it. If not, Marsh has size and strength. He needs to be ready.

Interesting conversation.

I would have played Marsh last night when Reid and Carr were sitting with foul problems, maybe earlier. Keller and MMM got bounced around from jump street. Marsh has shortcomings. Size is not one of them. A couple of alley oop slam dunks could have changed the complexion of the game. If Matt had a mean streak that would have been encouraged. Bounce a couple bodies to the floor. When you are getting beat up with no whistle, send a clear message.

I've been encouraged by the improvement in Keller's game and MMM has had bright spots. I am concerned about depth behind Carr and Reid going forward. The level of play is more physical and skilled. Given the rotation, we will see if Keller and MMM can cut it. If not, Marsh has size and strength. He needs to be ready.
amen. Not to get to the level of coach K in sending out a walkon to harrass CP3 so he almost injures him as he did so many years ago, but Marsh could have put some fear in those tall skinny bigs for FSU if he went out with tough physical play and made the refs call it closer which they clearly did not.

If Marsh were that kind of brute, he'd get more playing time. He's more of a gentle giant except when it comes to punishing the rim.

If Marsh were that kind of brute, he'd get more playing time. He's more of a gentle giant except when it comes to punishing the rim.
Sad to say but "gentle giant" may be the appropriate moniker for Marsh.
At Charleston, I sat behind the Wake bench and for all of the games I paid specific attention to Marsh's demeanor. It was amazing that his facial expressions never changed, no matter what was taking place on the court.
In his first two years I have been a big Marsh supporter and I hope he is able to contribute in the future. It may be that what he needs at minimum is to be able to bring the hustle that Keller brings to the court.

Forbes said in the post game presser that the kids did not listen and follow the game plan. Hopefully, they learned something from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forbes is rare in that he will put the blame on his players for not doing what the coaches direct. Typical "coach speak" is for a coach to take the blame even if privately he feels otherwise.

Back