• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 15: @ FSU Tuesday (yikes) 7 pm ACCN

Not Baba.

But Cohren or Green.
De'Ante Green scored 5 points and had 2 rebounds. 3 of his points and both of his rebounds were with Efton in the game.

Cam Cohren scored 7 points and had 2 rebounds. 5 of his points were with Efton in the game.

So I don't really understand how Marsh getting some minutes to guard those guys would have helped anything.

Marsh was good for two-three lob dunks per game last year, mostly on passes from Appleby. Nobody seems to have been able to make those passes this year. Force opponents to defend that or watch Wake rack up the points.
It would be nice to get more rim running.

De'Ante Green scored 5 points and had 2 rebounds. 3 of his points and both of his rebounds were with Efton in the game.

Cam Cohren scored 7 points and had 2 rebounds. 5 of his points were with Efton in the game.

So I don't really understand how Marsh getting some minutes to guard those guys would have helped anything.
More fouls. Spot minutes to keep Reid fresh. Perhaps going Marsh/Keller instead of Keller/MMM. Worth discussing how to use those 4-5 minutes.

Keller may get pushed around more but Marsh gets blown by a lot more. If the opposing player catches the ball outside of the paint you can almost bet he'll scurry by Marsh for an easy 2
Possibly but when keller is seen getting abused physically multiple times leading to dunks/lay-ups you should at least give Marsh a try as he could surprise. I would point out in our one big W before Efton came along that Marsh played solid with 4 points and 5 rebounds vs. Gators a not so slow team. Keller meanwhile with similar minutes contributed 0 points and 4 rebounds vs. UF. Now maybe if you go back to the film Marsh gave up a lot of blow bys, but I doubt it as would remember them as we played solid D in that game compared to the Utes and LSU where we gave up regular lay-up and dunks a game where Keller played 29 mins and Marsh zero and again Keller played vs. LSU but not Marsh. Actual performances do not support NOT giving Marsh a few mins when Keller is playing super weak and not helpful on O.

More fouls. Spot minutes to keep Reid fresh. Perhaps going Marsh/Keller instead of Keller/MMM. Worth discussing how to use those 4-5 minutes.
I'm not trying to stifle anyone's discussion of Matt Marsh's lack of playing time. Blue pointed to two guys that he would have liked Marsh to guard and I responded by pointing out that 1) Those guys didn't hurt us all that much and 2) When they did do something, most of it was against Reid and not Keller.

How many times did Keller fail to grab a defensive rebound or play anything resembling competent help defense? Obviously, I'm not saying Marsh excels at either of those skills, but I don't really think he's Keller-bad. I also am not #kellerout, but he has a long ways to go.

How many times did Keller fail to grab a defensive rebound or play anything resembling competent help defense? Obviously, I'm not saying Marsh excels at either of those skills, but I don't really think he's Keller-bad. I also am not #kellerout, but he has a long ways to go.
Obviously neither Marsh or Keller are ideal to have as a backup 5. Marsh has some of the worst hands and rebounding ability (especially for a player 7'+) that I've seen so not sure how much he would've ended up helping especially against a team that seemed to do a good job deflecting and ripping the ball. I certainly get the argument, just saying, in my opinion, I'm not sure Marsh does anything to remedy the issue

It’s a Q2 game on the road. Let’s calm down. We were going undefeated from December-April.
It's not about just this game. Damari coming back and being close to or at his usual level could change that. Just don't think there's enough depth or reliable shooting with the current makeup of the team. Could be enough to make the tournament (which to me at least is about where a mediocre level High Major level team ends up), but not sure if there's enough to go on a substantial run if/once there. Obviously would love if that's incorrect and/or we get Damari back close to 100%. Between Boopie, Hunter, and Cam, there's obviously been a lot of fluctuation in terms of shooting efficiency as the season has progressed, but if we can get 2 of those 3 consistently making 3 pointers, rather than the streakiness we have had, it would help our spacing out a lot. I understand calling this nitpicking or an overreaction for sure, and it's still very early on, so talk like this is meaningless at the end of the day, this has just been my takeaway from the last 3 games and most of the season as a whole.

It's not about just this game. Damari coming back and being close to or at his usual level could change that. Just don't think there's enough depth or reliable shooting with the current makeup of the team. Could be enough to make the tournament (which to me at least is about where a mediocre level High Major level team ends up), but not sure if there's enough to go on a substantial run if/once there. Obviously would love if that's incorrect and/or we get Damari back close to 100%. Between Boopie, Hunter, and Cam, there's obviously been a lot of fluctuation in terms of shooting efficiency as the season has progressed, but if we can get 2 of those 3 consistently making 3 pointers, rather than the streakiness we have had, it would help our spacing out a lot. I understand calling this nitpicking or an overreaction for sure, and it's still very early on, so talk like this is meaningless at the end of the day, this has just been my takeaway from the last 3 games and most of the season as a whole.
Who even knows when/if Damari is coming back at this point

The BC game was arguably more meaningful than this.
Agreed. Played so much better last week! I didn't cluck much during the Miami game cuz we didn't play well, but still won. This game another step in the wrong direction. But we're so good, still might have scratched this out if refs were completely impartial.

With our spastic turnovers going the other way for layups and dunks, we made Baba Miller, Cam Cohren and company look like NBA studs dunking on us and such.

Keller boxes out well, but does not have the length to go get it. He plays good position defense, then gets bullied (weight room).

That said, he can shoot it, and that helps us, as his no conscience jumper vs. Miami was CLUTCH.

Who even knows when/if Damari is coming back at this point
Ya at this point I would have to guess unless it is some major "behind the scenes" issue that has been an insanely well kept secret, it has just been a serious setback in his recovery, in which case I'd have to think even Damari doesn't know if he'll be back.

Certainly disappointing as he is arguably our most talented player and unquestionably our biggest shooting threat.

Ya at this point I would have to guess unless it is some major "behind the scenes" issue that has been an insanely well kept secret, it has just been a serious setback in his recovery, in which case I'd have to think even Damari doesn't know if he'll be back.

Certainly disappointing as he is arguably our most talented player and unquestionably our biggest shooting threat.
It's just frustrating (I am sure it his for him too) to keep saying "when Monsanto comes back" for months now.

Realistically, how many college teams have multiple big men with decent offensive skills? We have two with Carr and Reid, and I'm perfectly happy with that. Beyond that, we really just need rebounding and defense, which Keller has been doing just fine with. People have way too high of expectations if you expect Keller to come in off the bench and score in any way other than spot up jump shots.
no idea

but the idea of Reid, Carr, and Bobi as a three-man rotation instead of Keller or Marsh ever seeing the floor is fun to think about

who knows if it could have happened if Bobi returned, but it feels plausible to have Bobi come back and kept the spot that went to Canka

It's just frustrating (I am sure it his for him too) to keep saying "when Monsanto comes back" for months now.
Oh for sure. I tried to frame it as more of a hypothetical and attempted to keep my analysis within the team we currently (and presumably into the future) have on the court. He would obviously be a game changer, but similar to before the Reid waiver, you have to assume you'll be without him.

no idea

but the idea of Reid, Carr, and Bobi as a three-man rotation instead of Keller or Marsh ever seeing the floor is fun to think about

who knows if it could have happened if Bobi returned, but it feels plausible to have Bobi come back and kept the spot that went to Canka
Feels unlikely that we end up with Sallis if Bobi came back but I honestly have no idea.

But if we don’t get Sallis we probably don’t get Reid either

Feels unlikely that we end up with Sallis if Bobi came back but I honestly have no idea.

But if we don’t get Sallis we probably don’t get Reid either
I don't see the overlap between Sallis or Reid and Bobi. I think Bobi would have started with Carr without Reid and maybe after Reid's waiver as well.

By the way, Bobi is putting up similar numbers in the NBL as he put up at Wake.

Im not ready to say the sky is falling. Its just one road acc game, not against loserville or nd. Clean up the tos and move on to the next.

Love Forbes
Glad to have Forbes
Enjoy watching his teams play...

....what concerns me is a consistent pattern over several seasons of not valuing the basketball and losing so many opportunities given turnovers. Twenty TO's will not win you many games.

Back