• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 15: @ FSU Tuesday (yikes) 7 pm ACCN

I don't see the overlap between Sallis or Reid and Bobi. I think Bobi would have started with Carr without Reid and maybe after Reid's waiver as well.

By the way, Bobi is putting up similar numbers in the NBL as he put up at Wake.
Presumably Sallis wanted to transfer to a place where he could be super high usage and minutes. Bobi still being here could have been a deterrent to that in recruiting.

And Forbes only started recruiting Reid once we got Sallis

Turnovers haven't been an issue really until we faced FSU
To back this up: WF has had 2 games out of 15 with a turnover percentage above 20% -- the last two losses.

For the season, TO percentage is 15.7%, 54th in the country.

Our 4 losses have come to the teams that rank 1st (FSU), 2nd (Utah), 20th (LSU), and 28th (Georgia) in average height in the country

Seems to be a pattern.

Florida is ranked 12th as well. We've had to have played one of the tallest schedules in America.

Our 4 losses have come to the teams that rank 1st (FSU), 2nd (Utah), 20th (LSU), and 28th (Georgia) in average height in the country

Seems to be a pattern.

Florida is ranked 12th as well. We've had to have played one of the tallest schedules in America.
How tall is UVA?

Literally every single team in the country, including the best ones, lay a couple stinkers every season. It’s completely normal. We laid a stinker and only lost by five. We’re still a good team
I admit that I am astounded that this team was that impacted by pressure. However, it is even more amazing that the Deacs were able to score 82 points after turning the ball over 20 times.

Afternoon all, decided to craft a "My Take" to put the first 15 of the season into perspective and look ahead to the next 16. You can read over at BSD here.

The first three grafs:
"One can’t help but feel like this college basketball season has already been long. Elon’s 21-point opening-night lead in the first half, to only have Wake Forest come back and win; the wild, but unsettling losses to Georgia, Utah and LSU; the nine-game winning streak, highlighted by victories over the likes of Florida, Rutgers, Boston College and Miami; Efton Reid’s transfer waiver being granted. It’s hard to believe the date is only Jan. 10.

Perhaps that’s the reality for those who follow — or cover — teams like Wake Forest, a program that is on an upward trajectory, but still looking to reach its first NCAA Tournament since 2017, and second in 15 years. The road is treacherous. Every win feels like a massive lift, every loss a gust of wind taken out of the sails. Such is life for so many in college basketball.

But, in reality, Wake Forest’s season is just beginning."

It's not Marsh love. Nobody brings anything to the table after Reid, and he's on the bench for good chunks during games because he cannot refrain from making dumb fouls. Keller is not better than Marsh, and in some cases, such as against physical teams, the presence of Marsh in the middle is probably better than the presence of Keller.

Right now, we are getting jack shit from our bigs. Another clunker game from Carr. Reid rides the pine half the time so his production is limited. Our bigs are a problem, and if they need to play less (Carr, for example, who gets beat down), then Marsh provides depth at the very least where we don't have any.
In my opinion, Marsh is not the answer. If he was capable of a major contribution, I trust the coaching staff to make that determination.
I do feel that the offense has become totally guard oriented. It has been mostly successful up to this point and I would not trade Wake's three for any other three guards in the country. However, most attempts to score have turned into dribble drives to the basket and Florida States height negated this approach most of last night. Also, Tony Bennett's pack line will give the Deacs dribble-drive approach another major test on Saturday.
I am not saying that the guard play should drastically change. I do believe that more set plays should be done to get Reid and Carr more involved. I feel this is especially true for Carr. I agree that his scoring average has dropped drastically over the last three games. This drop is in direct correlation to his number of shot attempts.

In my opinion, Marsh is not the answer. If he was capable of a major contribution, I trust the coaching staff to make that determination.
I do feel that the offense has become totally guard oriented. It has been mostly successful up to this point and I would not trade Wake's three for any other three guards in the country. However, most attempts to score have turned into dribble drives to the basket and Florida States height negated this approach most of last night. Also, Tony Bennett's pack line will give the Deacs dribble-drive approach another major test on Saturday.
I am not saying that the guard play should drastically change. I do believe that more set plays should be done to get Reid and Carr more involved. I feel this is especially true for Carr. I agree that his scoring average has dropped drastically over the last three games. This drop is in direct correlation to his number of shot attempts.
Dont post often or get to read the boards on the daily, but with the Deacs being decent trying to get some more info. If Monsanto could make it back, (and some have suggested here there maybe ineligible issues,I never see any updates from Forbes) I would play Monsanto at the 4 and bench Carr. Rotate in Fredrickson Carr Marsh and then Keller. Marsh should be allowed 5 minutes a game if nothing else than to come in and give the peoples elbow to any opposing player who ventures in the paint. He isnt so bad that he deserves no minutes. It isnt like Wakes post game is lighting it up. Reid is great, but I havent seen A lot of great post moves from Reid or Carr and if fact Carr gets it taken half the time. If Monsanto gets back this team is dangerous but if not there will be more games like last night. Based on what I watched 2-1 against BC Miami and FSU is pretty solid. They are tough. So short story long , Is Monsanto coming back? and can he immediately start at the 4?

Last edited:
To back this up: WF has had 2 games out of 15 with a turnover percentage above 20% -- the last two losses.

For the season, TO percentage is 15.7%, 54th in the country.

2023-24 Turnover Margin = 1.87 ranked 8th in ACC
2022-23 Turnover Margin = .12 ranked 9th in ACC
2021-22 Turnover Margin = -1.2 ranked 13th in ACC
2020-21 Turnover Margin = .-1.41 ranked 14th in ACC

It's improving but there is significant room for enhancement.

https://theacc.com/stats.aspx?path=mbball&year=2020

Love Forbes
Glad to have Forbes
Enjoy watching his teams play...

....what concerns me is a consistent pattern over several seasons of not valuing the basketball and losing so many opportunities given turnovers. Twenty TO's will not win you many games.
Coaching criteria.
Old world: recruiting-35%, development-35%, in-game-30%
New world: recruiting-60%, development-10%, in-game-30%
Love Forbes too. Looks like he can navigate the portal and bring in upperclass talent. Maybe preaching the virtues of a WF degree?

Forbes said in the post game presser that the kids did not listen and follow the game plan. Hopefully, they learned something from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Might be naive but I think they will. This is a mature team. Many of these guys have been waiting a chance. This is their chance. They’ll listen.

Forbes said in the post game presser that the kids did not listen and follow the game plan. Hopefully, they learned something from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He also said that he won't flush this game, but he does flush at home.

Back