• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 17: @ NC State -- Tuesday 7 pm ACCN

Feels like semantics. We “must win” roughly 14/20 ACC games, so I guess if you just want to wait for our schedule to reach a mathematical limitation to call it “must win” then whatever.

we need to win at least 3 more acc road games

we have left:

NC State
UNC
Pitt
Ga Tech
Duke
UVA
ND
Va Tech

In theory... Ga Tech and Notre Dame the "must wins" and we need to pick up 1-2 between NC State, Pitt, UVA, and VT

“must win” is pretty vague - to be specific, the tournament selection criteria doesn’t really allow teams to “turn it around” at the end of the year anymore. If Wake isn’t a tournament level team in January then we very likely won’t be in March either. So consider ACC win #5 as meaningful as win #14 and then decide for yourself if it’s a “must win”.
I mean we are 4-1 so far. If we're saying that 14-6 is the record we need to hit, that means we have 5 more losses that we can comfortably take (as long as it's not to the worst teams in the ACC). There's only two games on our schedule that Torvik assesses as below 35% win probability (at UNC and at Duke). That means that we can lose three toss up games along the way and still be completely fine. Tonight is one of those games that wouldn't kill us to lose.

It narrows the path considerably to take a loss tonight, but it's not taking us below a 10% chance at an NCAAT bid or something drastic like that. So yeah, it's not a "must-win".

Of course, let's just win anyways.

all that being said - i don't want to be on the damn bubble. i think this team has top 25 potential, and a win tonight puts us on that trajectory.
Now this is a thought I can get behind.

Today's a must-win if we want to be ranked anytime soon

There is no reason if we win tonight and beat the fuck out of Lou saturday that we shouldn't be ranked heading to hell next Monday

I'm really trying to just enjoy the journey with this team, because I think they are good enough that it'll all work out in terms of a NCAA tourney bid.

Having said that, this would be a nice win. Couple it with a Louisville win and you have a 6-1 start in the ACC and that game against UNC becomes something that likely gets some national attention.

But a loss, as Pilchard mentions above, doesn't really derail anything. It's a toss-up game. So is @Pitt, for example. We just need to win a few of those road games and keep playing well at home.

I said it before, but I think it'd be hugely helpful (and maybe necessary) to win (at least) one of the Duke/UNC games... because, aside from their national brands, they are likely going to finish #1 & #2 in the ACC regular season.

FSU similar situation
To some degree yes. FSU at least is top 100 in metrics and a Q2 loss. For ND to be a Q2 loss even on the road they still need to move up 22 more spots. They are at least way up from their bottom 2/3 power conference team status.

I have to think the team will be very focused playing on the road after the FSU game. The trip to Raleigh is a breeze and it's not unfamiliar territory. I believe we're a better team and I'll take that over home court any day.

we need to win at least 3 more acc road games

we have left:

NC State
UNC
Pitt
Ga Tech
Duke
UVA
ND
Va Tech

In theory... Ga Tech and Notre Dame the "must wins" and we need to pick up 1-2 between NC State, Pitt, UVA, and VT
Trouble with that is GT has played some good ball - twice against Duke, and now ND is playing competitive ball after sucking all Nov-Dec. Easiest game might be UVA. The way it's gone lately, I expect VT to take them out here tomorrow. Lunardi's latest has us and Miami as the last 4 in currently.

Road game in a known house of horrors for us on a Tuesday night. I’m not hopeful for a road win given how we’ve looked thus far on the road this season. The one win at BC was nearly an epic choke. Hope to be proven wrong tonight!

The much bigger must win is Louisville. We cannot afford to drop that game at home.

That being said, pound State.

Trouble with that is GT has played some good ball - twice against Duke, and now ND is playing competitive ball after sucking all Nov-Dec. Easiest game might be UVA. The way it's gone lately, I expect VT to take them out here tomorrow. Lunardi's latest has us and Miami as the last 4 in currently.
I understand that UVA has struggled recently and ND has improved, but there's absolutely no world in which a road game at UVA can currently be considered an easier game than a road game at ND.

to that end, I looked at Torvik since 12/17 (I just sort of randomly picked a week before Christmas Eve). Since that date, (and yes, of course, small sample size) UVA is #218 in the nation, worst in the ACC (Louisville is #172; all other ACC teams in the top 120)

If you start with December 1, still a small sample but getting concerning, UVA is 3rd-worst in the ACC at #119 in the nation and ND is #132. UL is #202 over that span.

Looks like WF is 2-16 at NC State since 2006. Forbes did win in Raleigh 69-51 in 2022. 17 players played in that game. Two years later, Monsanto is the only player currently on the WF roster to have played in that game, and Casey Morsell is the only current NC State player to have played in that game (Breon Pass is on the Pack roster, but doesn't play except for garbage time).

Dating back to December 19 (so a month ago) here are the rankings for the ACC teams over that time period nationally (no preseason weighting included)

2. UNC
14. Duke
26. Wake
47. Clemson
52. Miami
72. Notre Dame (!)
78. Virginia Tech
85. Florida State
94. NC State
104. Syracuse
107. Pittsburgh
114. Georgia Tech