• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 17: @ NC State -- Tuesday 7 pm ACCN

I mean the most concerning part is that over the last month, the ACC has only five teams in the top 70. We continue to just limp along comparatively speaking. Anyways, just win Wake.

Dating back to December 19 (so a month ago) here are the rankings for the ACC teams over that time period nationally (no preseason weighting included)

2. UNC
14. Duke
26. Wake
47. Clemson
52. Miami
72. Notre Dame (!)
78. Virginia Tech
85. Florida State
94. NC State
104. Syracuse
107. Pittsburgh
114. Georgia Tech
120. Boston College
190. Virginia (!!!)
218. Louisville
Gotta assume that these rankings exclude December 19 itself, as Notre Dame lost to The Citadel by 20 at home on that day.

And there's no way that the rest of ND's month (3-4 record with an OT win at GT and a 4 point win over Marist) is enough to keep them at #72 even with a 20 point loss to The Citadel

Gotta assume that these rankings exclude December 19 itself, as Notre Dame lost to The Citadel by 20 at home on that day.

And there's no way that the rest of ND's month (3-4 record with an OT win at GT and a 4 point win over Marist) is enough to keep them at #72 even with a 20 point loss to The Citadel
I suspect that's correct because just by going back one additional day, Notre Dame is 100th lol

Dating back to December 19 (so a month ago) here are the rankings for the ACC teams over that time period nationally (no preseason weighting included)

2. UNC
14. Duke
26. Wake
47. Clemson
52. Miami
72. Notre Dame (!)
78. Virginia Tech
85. Florida State
94. NC State
104. Syracuse
107. Pittsburgh
114. Georgia Tech
120. Boston College
190. Virginia (!!!)
218. Louisville
This is what I've been saying about UVA. And they have 2 Association players.

I get what's being said about UVA, they've unquestionably stunk recently.

But I'm not going to completely write them off just because they got blown out in three road Q1 games (Memphis, Wake, NCSU). The blowout loss at ND is extremely concerning though. It's going to be interesting to see if UVA is suddenly just bad now or if for some reason they just are massively worse on the road.

With the evergreen caveat that I'm an idiot when it comes to individual game outcomes, I feel pretty good about tonight. I think we are a very good team. The FSU game was pretty awful and it was still winnable. I just think we are flat out better than NCSU and will be motivated to give a strong effort tonight.

Also I don't think it's fair to give UVA shit for their poor rating over the last month, they had to play wake in that time

UVA's offensive strategy is just awful
They often still run their blocker/mover offense that won them a natty, albeit with better talent. They've also been running an offense my UVA friend calls a triangles offense. Trouble is they only have 1 guy who actively likes to and looks to shoot - McKneely. And their front court is soft.

I know we forced a good bit of it, but they took more long 2s than any team I've seen in a lonnnng time.

8/31 from mid-range 2's
4/14 at the rim

That's just not going to get it done.

I know we forced a good bit of it, but they took more long 2s than any team I've seen in a lonnnng time.

8/31 from mid-range 2's
4/14 at the rim

That's just not going to get it done.
On a similar note, UVA only has 1 guy that has made at least 20 three pointers. Wake has 4 guys that have made that many threes. UVA is 103-288 on 3PA on the season, and McKneely alone accounts for 38 of the makes.

It's hard to be an efficient offensive if you only have one guy that can shoot

Was totally wrong about UVA this season.

Always been a huge Bennett fan. When UNC and Duke were at the peak of their powers, he built UVA from nothing and kicked their ass; over and over again, UVA was the best program in the ACC for a five year stretch.

That said, there is no reason for 2024 UVA to be this bad. The first year that the portal was "a thing", UVA landed Trey Murphy from Rice, who ended up a 1st round pick, and Sam Hauser who plays a role on the Celtics. Since then, UVA's portal adds have gotten progressively worse, and this season's portal adds might be the most under-performing the nation. Even so, UVA has Beekman, Dunn, McNeeley. When Bennett started out at UVA, those three alone would be enough for Bennett's teams to be a pain in the ass for everyone. Not so. They are under-performing their talent. Not sure if Bennett has lost his fastball (don't think so as he is still young) or there are chemistry issues, but 4 straight blow out losses on the road doesn't even happen to L'ville or ND. Just weird. Thought UVA might turn it around, but maybe they are just lost and aimless.

Was totally wrong about UVA this season.

Always been a huge Bennett fan. When UNC and Duke were at the peak of their powers, he built UVA from nothing and kicked their ass; over and over again, UVA was the best program in the ACC for a five year stretch.

That said, there is no reason for 2024 UVA to be this bad. The first year that the portal was "a thing", UVA landed Trey Murphy from Rice, who ended up a 1st round pick, and Sam Hauser who plays a role on the Celtics. Since then, UVA's portal adds have gotten progressively worse, and this season's portal adds might be the most under-performing the nation. Even so, UVA has Beekman, Dunn, McNeeley. When Bennett started out at UVA, those three alone would be enough for Bennett's teams to be a pain in the ass for everyone. Not so. They are under-performing their talent. Not sure if Bennett has lost his fastball (don't think so as he is still young) or there are chemistry issues, but 4 straight blow out losses on the road doesn't even happen to L'ville or ND. Just weird. Thought UVA might turn it around, but maybe they are just lost and aimless.
I think it has to be hard for UVA to get future NBA type players from the portal with the system that they run. You can see how it may continue to be a problem.

Back