• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 17: @ NC State -- Tuesday 7 pm ACCN

She reposted this response. Good reminder that the ACC can't fine parents for criticizing refs.

What a crock of shit. Should have been Wake’s ball down 1 with 50 seconds left. Sallis did absolutely nothing wrong except maybe telling Middlebrooks and/or Diarra to go fuck themselves. No initiated contact whatsoever

I think if you are going to play Marsh you need to try and run a P&R for him.

On the year, it seems like maybe our current players just can't run that play with him like Alondes and Tyree could - they were apparently elite at running that play, drawing the defense and throwing a pass up where Marsh could catch and flush. There were games where that play was unstoppable. No one this year has shown the ability to run the play and throw that pass? It looked like we tried it a few times early in the year and I am not sure it worked more than once or twice.

What? You think 61 free throws is too many for a college game?
Certainly not defending the refs but we played like shit. Ugly basketball. Hunter and Reid did absolutely dumb shit to earn several of those fouls. We looked like we were chasing on defense rather than defending which meant we were pretty much constantly out of position. Our offense sucked because we have to much ISO and not enough movement and we shot for shit.

Highlight of the game was that asshat Keats getting the boot. Fuck him.

What a crock of shit. Should have been Wake’s ball down 1 with 50 seconds left. Sallis did absolutely nothing wrong except maybe telling Middlebrooks and/or Diarra to go fuck themselves. No initiated contact whatsoever

Forbes said as much in his show tonight that we should have had the ball down 1 (to go and win the game.)

Also, Middlebrooks traveled before the shot and foul.

I dunno. He stood there waiting on middlebrooks who was not looking to bump into him. Then turned around and got in his face. I mean it was a stupid play. Just another example of stupid basketball and there were lots of examples last night. Not saying he should have been ejected but he was creating bullshit unnecessarily. Go score or play defense or something.

Horseshit. Watch the replay - Sallis is standing completely still looking down at Carr in disbelief of the call. It was a dead ball. Middlebrooks walked toward Sallis and even though he does a little look-away thing watch his arm. Elbow goes out to make sure he catches Sallis on the way by. It's the elbow that hits Sallis and before Sallis even gets a word out Middlebrooks is wheeling around mouthing off at him like a punk. Sallis reacting to that is completely normal, then other NC State players come at him and he's still playing it pretty cool even if justifiably pissed. Just the idea that he was called for 2 technicals in that exchange, including a headbutt ejection, AFTER A VIDEO REVIEW, is one of the most absurdly awful calls you can imagine. The right call there (after the push-off and travel) is a tech on Middlebrooks for the elbow and a tech for the NC State headbutt. The refs were simply terrified to give Wake any perceived advantage in front of that crowd, which was also their own doing for the supidly fast double tech on their coach and blowing the obvious Marsh foul earlier and calling the foot on the line when it wasn't, etc. Terrible refs ruin games by incompetently screwing up so many times it's a constant effort to make up for their fuck ups.

That they also got to sub a 90% free throw shooter as a reward for a dead ball technical bieng a 5th foul is just icing on the cake for what I'd have to argue might be the single worst end-to-end called play I've ever seen.

And a shout-out for the shit TV coverage not showing the "Sallis head butt" on replay after they announced it. They had an extra 3 minutes but didn't want to make the officials looks bad. Awful.

I don’t know why I wasted time rewatching the game early this morning, because now I’m depressed and pissed off. I’ve defended Forbes to this point, but he’s got egg on his face after last night. Somewhat inexcusable to lose like that given all factors…

The decision to play Keller and Marsh after going up 11 was one of the worst calls he’s made during his time at WF, IMHO. This spurred a 6-0 run and bled to a 13-2 run over the next four minutes. If we are going to play them together and sit Carr and Reid, you have to go to a zone there. I know our zone D isn’t great, but it’s a hell of a lot better than Marsh and Keller trying to play man defense on the blocks together. They missed so many switches, didn’t alter shots, were out of position, etc. It threw everything we had going into a tailspin and it was painfully obvious to see the cracks forming live. Just call a damn TO and regroup. From 9:48 to 6:03 in the second half, we missed every shot we took, including FTs, except for an ugly put back from Cam (after he went 0-4 from the field during the same stretch).

Why we didn’t slow down, switch to a zone and buy ourselves a little time before subbing Carr and Reid back in will haunt us on selection Sunday (hope I’m wrong). State didn’t play Burns, lost their coach before halftime and had no momentum or life when we went up 11. We simply didn’t take advantage of the situation. We pushed the ball, took bad shots early in the shot clock and didn’t do anything to prevent them from getting into the lane. They couldn’t shoot worth shit and we did nothing to counter them during that home stretch (which would have been pretty easy to do with a 1-3-1 given their shooting woes from outside).

Basically, it’s very disappointing and somewhat concerning for our staff not to see it happening. Not only did we opt to save our two TOs, which I’m ok with seeing as though there was still 5-6 mins. remaining after they tied it up, but there were two official TV timeouts and State also called a TO before there was 3 mins remaining. We had a four point lead at each of those intervals, and again, did not change things up. Those six minutes have me questioning a lot of things now. Just an epic collapse that a good coaching staff does not allow to happen and I say that being a big fan and supporter of Forbes. It’s also unsettling because this has happened multiple times in the past and we don’t seem to have learned our lesson.
This.

I dunno. He stood there waiting on middlebrooks who was not looking to bump into him. Then turned around and got in his face. I mean it was a stupid play. Just another example of stupid basketball and there were lots of examples last night. Not saying he should have been ejected but he was creating bullshit unnecessarily. Go score or play defense or something.
This is a really bad post

I am not going to watch the game again but earlier in the second half Middlebrooks did a look away “oops” shoulder into Carr during a dead ball. I commented on it to my wife at the time.

This is a really bad post
I mean whatever. Middlebrook was celebrating not even looking at Sallis had no idea he was there and barely bumped him. Sallis got pissed and got in his face. I mean Sallis could have inadvertently bumped into a state player while he was talking shit to the state bench after a made three early in the game. Is what it is. But when you get in an opposing players face and it leads to bullshit things happen. I like the chippiness really. Just would prefer to win.

I mean whatever. Middlebrook was celebrating not even looking at Sallis had no idea he was there and barely bumped him. Sallis got pissed and got in his face. I mean Sallis could have inadvertently bumped into a state player while he was talking shit to the state bench after a made three early in the game. Is what it is. But when you get in an opposing players face and it leads to bullshit things happen. I like the chippiness really. Just would prefer to win.
That is certainly an interpretation of what transpired. Not a credible interpretation, but an interpretation nonetheless.

Honestly, the refs should have gotten in there and broken it up and not given out any techs.
This - you are in the end game of a hotly contested rivalry game. Step in a settle everyone down - throw around a lot of warnings - but don't toss out a bunch of technicals that effectively ended the game.

It's also worth noting that in the stretch between Burns layup to make it 60-51 and the technical fouls, Wake committed 7 fouls and allowed NC State to shoot 13-13 from the FT line in that stretch.

So 13 of the 25 points NCSU scored to take the 76-72 lead from a 60-51 deficit happened at the FT line.
"We imploded."

Wake could have stepped up on left it to ref discretion to dictate the final

Unfortunately, Marsh was in the game late in the second half.

I forgot we were up 60-49. Pathetic.

Where is the senior leadership or lead guard leadership to close it out?

For future games I am curious if Forbes starts at the under 8 minute timeout of the second half, to call a play for a specific guy based on matchup on every single possession.

We have this thing that we are loose and free to play and free to shoot so Keller drains a 3 late, against Miami I believe. But I'd rather Forbes calls specific plays late, and that means we run that play. Not some jacked up contested 3.

If he is already taking charge late and calling plays, then we are in a world of hurt since that shit last night was epic bad.

Middlebrook had bumped Carr at least once and was running his mouth all night He was looking to bump Sallis. Personally I think the 1st double tech was a good call. The 2nd was a cowards call. No way it was a tech on Sallis. The officials allowed State to play physical all night, and run their mouths. They lost control of this game. And they did nit want to take the heat if only calling the 2nd tech on State

Is there an actual chance we will lose Sallis for next game because of that horseshit? How/when would something like that get decided?

I am not going to watch the game again but earlier in the second half Middlebrooks did a look away “oops” shoulder into Carr during a dead ball. I commented on it to my wife at the time.
Also threw a blatant elbow in the center of Cam’s chest that I couldn’t believe was missed

Back