• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 17: @ NC State -- Tuesday 7 pm ACCN

N.C. State (13-4, 5-1) scored on its next eight possessions, and ended the game with points on 18 of its last 19 possessions.
4 of those 19 scoring possessions were from intentional fouls committed by Wake to prolong the game, but allowing NC State to score on 14 out of its 15 final real possessions is obviously still terrible. That stretch started at 9:25 to go with a Burns layup to make it 60-51.

Our offensive possessions in that stretch included:
  • Missed layup/offensive rebound/missed three
  • Missed three
  • Missed shot/offensive rebound/made layup/missed and1 FT/offensive rebound/missed layup
  • Turnover
  • 2 missed FTs
  • 2 made FTs
  • Made shot
  • Made three
  • Missed FT (1 and 1)
  • Turnover
  • Missed shot
  • Turnover
  • Missed layup/offensive rebound/made layup/made and 1 FT
  • Missed three
So in that stretch of NC State scoring on 14/15 possessions before the intentional fouls began, Wake had 14 possessions and scored on 5 of them. Scored a total of 12 points. Turned the ball over 3 times and shot 3-7 from FTs (with one miss being the front end of a 1 and 1). And those of you that watched the game know that a bunch of the missed shots were terrible looks at the end of a shot clock. Thus, Wake shot 4-12 from the field during this stretch.

Wake was abysmal on defense the final quarter of the game, but if it had anything that resembled the offense that this team should be capable of, Wake would have won the game anyways.

Last edited:
It's also worth noting that in the stretch between Burns layup to make it 60-51 and the technical fouls, Wake committed 7 fouls and allowed NC State to shoot 13-13 from the FT line in that stretch.

So 13 of the 25 points NCSU scored to take the 76-72 lead from a 60-51 deficit happened at the FT line.

Most frustrating thing for me is that it was still a winnable game if we could have scored down the stretch.

You're going to get the shit end of the stick on calls down the stretch in road games, but the offense was abysmal. Make a basket here and there and the game is still won.

I do think playing Marsh and Keller together for any stretch of time is absolutely inexcusable. I also agree that we could have thrown some zone in there to try to disrupt them while Reid was out with his 4th foul.

It is truly remarkable all the things it took to go wrong for Wake to lose this game.

Also, I don't hate Horne. I thought he played a hell of a game. Couldn't stop those runners from the top of the key... Felt like he hit a ton of them. Tough shot, but that's what we were giving him.

Also, I don't hate Horne. I thought he played a hell of a game. Couldn't stop those runners from the top of the key... Felt like he hit a ton of them. Tough shot, but that's what we were giving him.
He made 9 of them to be exact.

0-2 at the rim
9/13 from midrange/long range

I do think playing Marsh and Keller together for any stretch of time is absolutely inexcusable. I also agree that we could have thrown some zone in there to try to disrupt them while Reid was out with his 4th foul.

It is truly remarkable all the things it took to go wrong for Wake to lose this game.
I feel like the bolded part gets said after an awful lot of Wake losses which I'm pretty sure means we need to look in the mirror.

Inexcusable in general, but truly baffling with the lead and all of the momentum on the road. If I were an opposing coach trying to get back into the game at that point, I would have been praying that we did what we did. Not only did our defense collapse as a result, but so did our offense. Just a terrible all around decision and we made it worse by not changing anything during the 13-2 run.

Even more remarkable all the things that should've made this an easy win, 4 free points off the double T on Keats, Burns sick and only able to go for short spurts and then out for probably the last 10 minutes, State not hitting a 3 all night. That's why there isn't a W-A-K or E in the word clutch.

Maybe Elon banned clown show videos.

Yeah, if Horne shot his season average from midrange/long 2's then State scores 10 fewer points. Guess it can go both ways forever.

Might have something to do with our defensive scheme lately. Both UVA and State shot horribly from 3, so maybe we’re putting more emphasis on chasing them off the 3 point line, which allows for them to get a step past the guards/wings before getting to the bigs; Right in the midrange area.

Might have something to do with our defensive scheme lately. Both UVA and State shot horribly from 3, so maybe we’re putting more emphasis on chasing them off the 3 point line, which allows for them to get a step past the guards/wings before getting to the bigs; Right in the midrange area.
Even with last night's NC State "0 for" behind the arc, WF's three point defense in ACC play isn't great (37% - 12th out of 15 in conference games).

Yeah, which is why I think we may have tried something different the last 2 games. Forbes mentioned in the UVA presser that we let them hit too many threes last year or something, so our goal this year was to not even let them shoot 15 threes. We held them to just 12 attempts and State to only 8.

Our fans are generally fucking stupid when it comes to the game-by-game hot takes regarding Forbes. It's annoying as shit and needs to stop.

It's one thing if we had redacted or Danny out there, but Forbes clearly knows what he's doing. He has deficiencies like most coaches, but he's our guy and he will get us where we want to go.

I want the tourney as bad as anyone, but being on the bubble is a 180 from where we were the dumpster fire of 10 years leading up to him.

Grass isn't always greener, people. Enjoy the ride. We will win a couple big games this year. This season isn't over. It isn't even halfway over. Let's go!
Thank you

Inexcusable in general, but truly baffling with the lead and all of the momentum on the road. If I were an opposing coach trying to get back into the game at that point, I would have been praying that we did what we did. Not only did our defense collapse as a result, but so did our offense. Just a terrible all around decision and we made it worse by not changing anything during the 13-2 run.
Not that I disagree playing Keller and Marsh together was stupid, but Carr got to sit for all of 54 seconds (his entire rest for the game) before he came back in for Keller after we got outscored by 4 with those two on the floor together. So it seemed they very quickly realized that their gamble to buy time for Carr and Reid (4 fouls) wasn't going to work and got Carr back in the game at the next whistle.

Not that I disagree playing Keller and Marsh together was stupid, but Carr got to sit for all of 54 seconds (his entire rest for the game) before he came back in for Keller after we got outscored by 4 with those two on the floor together. So it seemed they very quickly realized that their gamble to buy time for Carr and Reid (4 fouls) wasn't going to work and got Carr back in the game at the next whistle.
Fair point and I would have no qualms if their gamble to buy time was done differently. I think it was a good strategic decision to sit Carr and Reid and to play Marsh and Keller. However, not going into a zone with those two out there together was foolish and I think that by itself changed the outcome of the game.

Back