• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 17: @ NC State -- Tuesday 7 pm ACCN

i think what we are seeing is unfortunately consistent for a Forbes team...short bench. we thought that this year would be different but again the injury bug has sidelined two of our main bench impact players (maybe for Ituka, haven't seen him play in 2 years). we also are still weak in the post outside of Reid and Carr...we need at least one more!

I still can't believe HOW BADLY Cam was missing his three point attempts last night. And I don't know if it was the camera angle, but it seemed like the arc on his shot was much bigger than usual (which is already unusual). Not having that credible threat of outside shooting really allowed State to cheat closer to the paint and made it much more difficult for us to drive.
Yeah. It was like they saw we weren't hitting 3s so they adjusted by backing off and protecting the paint. Amazing concept. Apparently it takes a genius of a coach to figure that out and can't be expected of ours because #stats from other games instruct him to keep overplaying the perimeter.

This is too incredible. People think Keatts is not a good coach? 10-3 sounds like he OWNS us, or nearly does.

Also, one more, as I can't help it:

Forbes: "I kept IMPLORING the team to move the ball, move the ball, look opposite, it's wide open. And they did not do it for whatever reason. They just over-dribbled."

He's got 3 guards who dribble, since PFred does not try to be a ball handler, he catches and shoots or catches and 1 dribble hot potato gets rid of it - making him easy to guard - even though I think he could be: Boopie/Cam/Sallis.

He's very angry at those 3 guys since FSU, now State --- they did not "execute the gameplan for whatever reason" and now he's "imploring them to stop dribbling and move the ball" and they are not listening.

As a coach, what are his options if they are not listening and thus, sending us to the NIT (if we get a bid):

Sit them? Play PFred, Ituka, Canka, Clark?

Make them run stairs until they pass out?

Take away the ridiculous large TV screen and ban middle-school gaming?

Use the old locker room?

Ban headphones and make them ride to the game in silence?

Make them stand in line in the cafeteria with the regular students, and eat regular food (although I am sure WF food options are MUCH better than they were in past decades)?

At practice, make them drink out of a water hose/fountain - no energy drinks.

Make them run stairs at the end of practice, stop and do 10 pushups and 5 burpees, then make 5 consecutive free throws without a miss. Miss? Then start over. Everyone stays until everyone completes the drill.

Put them in timeout?

Ban all fun?
If the problem was too much dribbling, then I do not understand why the staff did not go to a more pass oriented attack on offense. Against UVA there were numerous times that the team went to the outside weave, there was no dribbling, and the ball moved from one side of the floor to the other. This was never done last night and the only approach was a direct dribble to the basket or a high ball screen by a big man.

State at no point was "backing off" on the perimeter. Come on now. Their second half defense extended to the half court line and was intense pressure. Not sure we even watched the same game at this point 2&2. They were doing the same thing Wake defensively in many regards, they were just executing far better getting over the top of the screens on defense. They were leaving the 10-20 foot space wide open, letting their bigs play centerfield under the basket and attacking with secondary defenders on the ball handler.

If they'd been "backing off" we wouldn't have had the same issue the last 10-15 minutes where we couldn't even get into the offensive set until 10 seconds were left on the shot clock.

Yeah. It was like they saw we weren't hitting 3s so they adjusted by backing off and protecting the paint. Amazing concept. Apparently it takes a genius of a coach to figure that out and can't be expected of ours because #stats from other games instruct him to keep overplaying the perimeter.
it really wasn't like that. I mean not even a little bit

There's no way you watched the game if you came to this conclusion man. Come on. They weren't doing this at all. They were playing aggressive, in your face, man to man defense after we entered the front court after they full court pressed us. What are you talking about?

I think we may be getting to a point where it's fair to ask if our guards are starting to see wear and tear from the heavy workload they've been asked to carry all season. The last few games we've seen way more mistakes/turnovers/bad shots from them than the first part of the year.
Or maybe they are regressing to the mean? None of them were projected to be top ACC players. Or had the pedigree of an Appleby as far as consistent college production to point to.

Yeah from a logical/rational viewpoint, this game didn't hurt us at all other than opportunity costs - it just feels terrible because we were up 10 points on the road and had a chance to make a huge splash against an in-state rival.

Beating Louisville by only single digits on Saturday would hurt us way more than losing to State in a road game.

Yeah losing a road conference game in which you were an underdog in Vegas is rarely going to be a death sentence even if the loss really hurts

Yeah losing a road conference game in which you were an underdog in Vegas is rarely going to be a death sentence even if the loss really hurts
The death sentence is that it brings out the trolls like DonaldRoss to lecture everyone on how to build a winning basketball program. Fuck State and fuck DonaldRoss. On to the next game.

dissecting the metrics is fun and all but we have to win games to get in the tournament (and to be a good bball team). That was a very winnable game and I’d say our biggest issues were self inflicted, so here we go again.

FSU showed how to disrupt our guys with length and athleticism and NCSU defended tough — we are soft across the board. Those things are concerning when we start to enter “must win” territory

I think my favorite part of last night was when DJ Burns set a screen at approximately 0.023 mph and Boopie somehow still ran into it. I mean, flat into the middle, not even the side like he was trying to get around. It's like he couldn't see the fattest guy on the court.

That and the brazen shoulder throw by Middlebrooks into Carr that threw Carr back and got Middlebrooks an easy two (this is a different play from the one that resulted in the technicals). I don't know how the refs missed that, but it set the tone for the rest of the game with that guy.

I think the biggest difficulty we face against length and athleticism stems not from being soft, but from our reliance on getting down the lane through isolation rather than being a team that relies on whipping the ball quickly side to side. We don't seem to be throwing many of the same cross court passes from the elbow that we used with Alondes and Appleby a lot the last couple years.

Losing to such a lack of class is just salt in the wound. Their coach gets ejected, their players were out of control, and they wrapped it up by flipping our players the bird. So yeah, just standard NC State. They’re a hair away from dancing on the announcers table.

Somehow it seems destined that we clash in the ACCT…assuming we make it out of the first round.

I'm not worried about a road loss until/unless

1. We lose at home
2. It's ND

We could very well win 9-10 home conference games, and <4 road games. Our defense has been bad away from home.

Last night's game was by no means the end of our chances ; It was our second official Q1 loss. I don't see us being blown out by any team this season (10+) , and that alone is an upgrade from the last 3 (and obviously the last decade).

This team has shown the ability to fix & revise major issues and I believe we're going to continue to do so. (and STILL no Damari) .... Let's move on & keep winning. Not only do I think we'll get the necessary reg season Q1 wins, but I think we're going to end up making a lot more noise in the ACCT this year than people think, which will hopefully get rid of any sort of bubble talk.

The death sentence is that it brings out the trolls like DonaldRoss to lecture everyone on how to build a winning basketball program. Fuck State and fuck DonaldRoss. On to the next game.
Still can't see how a smaller on-campus arena will help us win road games, but DR lives in his own little reality.

Back