• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 17: @ NC State -- Tuesday 7 pm ACCN

Same. Not sure what the hell ELC saw from Marsh that was a positive tonight.

Remember, I'm comparing Marsh to Keller, not Tim Duncan.

Marsh doesn't get moved and has reasonable rebounding instincts. He is not as quick away from the ball as Keller, but Keller's advantage there is often offset by the fact that he moves out of position.

He had two quick rebounds tonight where he was well positioned. Nobody was getting around him, and he wasn't standing under the basket as Keller is apt to do.

He and Keller are both liabilities. The pissing match is over who should be playing 2nd behind Reid, and much of it is about situational matchups, but I'm increasingly getting pissed at Reid for putting Forbes in that position in nearly every game.

We looked completely out of control for five minutes of the game. That is 100% on Forbes and I’m glad he takes the blame.

I’m Forbes in, but he lets bad play continue for too long and we play out of control when we have a big lead. That last part has been happening since day one. It mostly has worked out, but we sure do piss away key wins a lot.

Remember, I'm comparing Marsh to Keller, not Tim Duncan.

Marsh doesn't get moved and has reasonable rebounding instincts. He is not as quick away from the ball as Keller, but Keller's advantage there is often offset by the fact that he moves out of position.

He had two quick rebounds tonight where he was well positioned. Nobody was getting around him, and he wasn't standing under the basket as Keller is apt to do.

He and Keller are both liabilities. The pissing match is over who should be playing 2nd behind Reid, and much of it is about situational matchups, but I'm increasingly getting pissed at Reid for putting Forbes in that position in nearly every game.
Those are fair points. Marsh did grab a couple of rebounds tonight. Completely agree that both are liabilities. Efton does need to get his shit together and stop committing dumb fouls. Still think Keller is the more versatile of the two and more valuable against most teams that don't have a Burns (or Bacot) in the middle.

Game story from Raleigh.

Steve Forbes hoped to see how his team would "grow up" on the road after Florida State. In the closing 20 mins, Wake Forest delivered "the worst half of basketball" he's seen in three years.

The Deacs "imploded."
"We let our fans down."

Pathetic night. State clearly out-played and out-coached us in the 2nd half so credit there, but sucks when Sallis and Reid aren't available for long stretches because of cheap fouls. Reid has definitely gotta learn when to let certain contests at the rim go and to stay still when setting picks, and Hunter just needs to choose his spots when going for the swat from behind on mid-range. They both play hard so at least its not from lack of effort on that end.

Need Damari badly. Give us some quality depth back and to change games like tonight. State was so aggressive with perimeter defense and we've gotta stop being soft with the turnovers, but man, it would so nice to have a guy that can bail you out of stale possessions every once in a while. Its the difference in toss-up games like tonight. Also if Jao can give Boopie and Cam 5-6 minutes of rest a night, that changes things too. Feel like our guards can get worn down in physical games like this.

Pathetic night. State clearly out-played and out-coached us in the 2nd half so credit there, but sucks when Sallis and Reid aren't available for long stretches because of cheap fouls. Reid has definitely gotta learn when to let certain contests at the rim go and to stay still when setting picks, and Hunter just needs to choose his spots when going for the swat from behind on mid-range. They both play hard so at least its not from lack of effort on that end.

Need Damari badly. Give us some quality depth back and to change games like tonight. State was so aggressive with perimeter defense and we've gotta stop being soft with the turnovers, but man, it would so nice to have a guy that can bail you out of stale possessions every once in a while. Its the difference in toss-up games like tonight. Also if Jao can give Boopie and Cam 5-6 minutes of rest a night, that changes things too. Feel like our guards can get worn down in physical games like this.
Don’t forget that we got out-coached by their assistant too.

I truly don’t understand the Marsh rotation. He had DNP-CD over the last four weeks. Now he plays 17 minutes?

Either he’s valuable and has a role, and so you play him some over the past four weeks, or he’s unplayable, and you don’t give him 17 minutes tonight.
Truly baffling

Yeah, rough night. Forbes is way better then that but tonight he got out-coached.
Keats isnt a good coach and some assistant bitch slapped Forbes tonight. He has brought in some good talent but he has been pretty grim in game. During the 10 minute double technical debacle Forbes didnt have the players huddle or do anything and so Wake wasnt ready with any kind of play. You could tell looking at team and Forbes with 52 seconds game was over. . If Wake cant beat State in that game they are a long way from being a top 4 ACC team. Forbes is a good guy but he has to coach better in game or it is NIT forever.

Yeah, rough night. Forbes is way better then that but tonight he got out-coached.
Is he really better than that at coaching? What has a Forbes team at Wake significantly improved on durimg the season that was an issue early on? We knew going into last night we couldnt afford to turn the ball over a lot as we are prone to. What did we do, we turned it over a ton. State didnt make a 3, Burns was clearly sick the whole game and could only play for a few minutes at a time and they gave us 4 free points with the double technical and their coach ejected. All that and we still couldnt get it done. Forbes has a good eye for talent, he’s a great listen in an interview, he‘s probably loved by his players, but a good “coach” don’t know about that. Hildreth is a ball hog with tunnel vision that makes him think at times he’s playing one against five, has been since he’s been here. A good coach would‘ve either fixed that or had his ass sitting on the bench, but Hildreth is still out there hogging the ball and taking bad shots. We had no answers for State’s 2nd half defense and didn’t seem to make any visible adjustments. Reid continues to be foul prone. I just have a hard time seeing where Forbes is a good “coach?” He’s good at putting together a team with the portal, but as far as taking a team and making them better as the season goes on, not seeing it and unless that changes his teams will continue to disappoint. Which is typical for Wake Forest teams, so he fits right in. Up at 3am because I can“t sleep rant over!

I said last year that I was done with this guy, and this board talked me into "one more year."

I think that I said he can't recruit, and he has no concept of how to use timeouts.

It doesn't seem that much has changed.

No such thing as perfect officiating because the 3 guys are human. Similar to a team playing hard but committing 17 turnovers, let’s say. All they can do in a wild game like this is blow the whistle. Some will be missed just like shots & free throws & coaching decisions.

the point is not that they miss some calls but that way too often they miss a lot of calls, or referee inconsistently, or invent make-up calls to cover their asses.

They missed the charge on Middlebrooks, then they compounded their error with a misguided technical festival.

Went to bed pissed.

Woke up pissed.

The better team that led for 36 mins lost and that sucks.

Back