• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 17: @ NC State -- Tuesday 7 pm ACCN

Light years ahead of the previous 2 clown isn't saying a whole lot. We keep doing the same things that hurt us, so either the players refuse to listen or Forbes isn't getting his point across. I'm just trying to think of something we can say, yeah we really improved in that area from the start of the season? I can't think of one, but might be missing something. The early losses pre-Reid left us little room for error to make the dance, so maybe it's too early to panic, but we simply don't have many opportunities to get quality road wins to make up for that and make the dance. Not making the dance with a team this talented is a disappointment. If we get most of the current players back next season and it's not a tournament team, then Forbes needs to be fired after next season.
I mean I think we run solid half court, BLOB, SLOB sets that get us good looks. Defensively we have improved a ton with Reid. Its fair that Forbes needs to enforce how important it is that guys like him and Sallis be smart with their fouls, because the team struggles with them off the floor. Last night Forbes in the 2nd half was trash you're not wrong, but overall he's a really good coach and his strengths outweigh the cons at this point. If we tank the rest of this season and then do nothing with 80% of this roster returning next year then yeah he's gotta go. But let's get to that point first before making any rash decisions.

Boopie was just falling all over the court. Kept tripping over himself, falling, and losing the ball
Boopie had 6 turnovers which is high. Him and Cam were a combined 6-25 from the field. Another key stat- Boopie 15-15 from the line and Cam was 0-1. Cam just had one of those nights.

With this and FSU game he has revealed his weakness: he simply does not have the skill set for in-game coaching at this level. He’s a good front guy, decent recruiter, excellent at the portal - but he’s just not an in-game coach.
Our AD better acknowledge it now, don’t wait around like Wellman did with Manning —and find an in-game associate Head Coach, or let Forbes go post season thanking him for being the transition coach who brought our program back to respectability while realizing that he does not have what it takes to bring us titles.
I'm frustrated with the coaching last night too, but seriously?

I mean I think we run solid half court, BLOB, SLOB sets that get us good looks. Defensively we have improved a ton with Reid. Its fair that Forbes needs to enforce how important it is that guys like him and Sallis be smart with their fouls, because the team struggles with them off the floor. Last night Forbes in the 2nd half was trash you're not wrong, but overall he's a really good coach and his strengths outweigh the cons at this point. If we tank the rest of this season and then do nothing with 80% of this roster returning next year then yeah he's gotta go. But let's get to that point first before making any rash decisions.
I'm not saying he needs to go now, but statements like "he's one of the best coaches in the country" is way over the top. Yes, he's a lot better than the last 2 coaches, but so would lots of other head coaches. A mark of a really good to great coach is one whose team overachieves, has he done that here yet?

I'm not saying he needs to go now, but statements like "he's one of the best coaches in the country" is way over the top. Yes, he's a lot better than the last 2 coaches, but so would lots of other head coaches. A mark of a really good to great coach is one whose team overachieves, has he done that here yet?
He's not one of the best coaches in the country. To your point though no. Although 2021 with Jake and Alondes was probably considered over-achieving and that team should have danced. A 25 win ACC team not making the tournament is ridiculous no matter the metrics. This team is the first one he's had the most talent across the board with and should be a tournament team.

I would guess he gets a half from State and that satisfies the league.

If Downey got a game suspension for the throat slash then flipping off the officials should absolutely get a game too.

Horne has issed an apology (or more specifically, the NC State athletic department prepared an apology on DJ's behalf).

The second half was frustrating to watch. Our offensive possessions were so gross. I wonder if getting Damari back will help or if State still would have stymied us. I feel like I knew right from the beginning of the second half that we were going to fumble it away.

Never mind the Redacted/Manning years. I've seen that 2nd half of Wake basketball play out at least a few times every season I've been a Wake fan. Odom, Skip, Gaudio, and now Forbes. It is what Wake does, hell every team does it from time to time. Shake it off and move on to Louisville.

I still can't believe HOW BADLY Cam was missing his three point attempts last night. And I don't know if it was the camera angle, but it seemed like the arc on his shot was much bigger than usual (which is already unusual). Not having that credible threat of outside shooting really allowed State to cheat closer to the paint and made it much more difficult for us to drive.

It was not the camera angle, the second he let them go I told my wife every time that doesn't have a chance.

Game story from Raleigh.

Steve Forbes hoped to see how his team would "grow up" on the road after Florida State. In the closing 20 mins, Wake Forest delivered "the worst half of basketball" he's seen in three years.

The Deacs "imploded."
"We let our fans down."
What is really sad is that the freshman dominated Ga. Tech team went on the road at Clemson and faced the pressure and escaped with a win in double overtime.

What an epic loss. Better team took the game. Not going to watch Louisville game. I need a break. This could just be the same team as last year.
Wtf was up with Boopie
Boopie faced pressure defense all game and did have 6 turnovers. However, he did hit pressure free throws all night which allowed us to be competitive.

I think we may be getting to a point where it's fair to ask if our guards are starting to see wear and tear from the heavy workload they've been asked to carry all season. The last few games we've seen way more mistakes/turnovers/bad shots from them than the first part of the year.

Well at the most basic level it's because one is worth 3 points and the other is worth 2 points, so we want them to keep taking the 2 point shot. Beyond that, the shots they were taking (long twos) are statistically the worst shots you can take in basketball from a PPP perspective. They were 100% taking the shots that we wanted them to take because it's quite inefficient to keep taking them. We ran the exact same thing against UVA and they just missed them all. Horne made us pay and made them - that doesn't mean that what we were doing was wrong. It just means they were "hot" and caught a good sample size of makes.
Agree that the Wake staff preferred that State take more 2 point shots than 3 point shots. However, I do not believe that they wanted to continually give up WIDE OPEN 2's from 10-15 feet. The failure to stop the action on the screen in the middle of the floor by 2-Middle Fingers Horne, to me, was the key to losing the game.

Back