• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 18: Louisville @ LJVM -- Saturday Noon -- ESPNU

In their last 3, Louisville won by more than we did against Miami. They lost by less than we did against NC State. The were within 5-7 points until the final 10 minutes at UNC despite shooting under 50% from the line. Shot over 40% from deep in all 3 games. Texas is almost identical to us per Kenpom and they only beat Louisville by 1 point early in the year.

UVA torched them by defending the 3 point line at home - Wake needs to do the same. Very concerned that we're coming off a massively disappointing loss, won't be able to help looking ahead to UNC on short rest, potentially playing a rusty Ituka who forced things last time he saw the court, and the metrics expectations are crazy high. Always a grudge match between these schools, early game crowd will probably be light to start. I just hate everything about this matchup. A quintessential trap game.

In their last 3, Louisville won by more than we did against Miami. They lost by less than we did against NC State. The were within 5-7 points until the final 10 minutes at UNC despite shooting under 50% from the line. Shot over 40% from deep in all 3 games. Texas is almost identical to us per Kenpom and they only beat Louisville by 1 point early in the year.

UVA torched them by defending the 3 point line at home - Wake needs to do the same. Very concerned that we're coming off a massively disappointing loss, won't be able to help looking ahead to UNC on short rest, potentially playing a rusty Ituka who forced things last time he saw the court, and the metrics expectations are crazy high. Always a grudge match between these schools, early game crowd will probably be light to start. I just hate everything about this matchup. A quintessential trap game.
Louvul looked awful here, and UVA didn't exactly play great on the offensive end. But they did defend well, and Louvul had few good looks.

That was our last coach we could hire, and people here want Steve Forbes fired. Fucking clowns.
I don’t give a shit how much you and other posters like Forbes - the post season is what matters. He’s not making millions of dollars to be your friend. You don’t give a shit about making the tournament then go pull for Elon or Western Carolina. Clown.

I don’t give a shit how much you and other posters like Forbes - the post season is what matters. He’s not making millions of dollars to be your friend. You don’t give a shit about making the tournament then go pull for Elon or Western Carolina. Clown.
Forbes inherited one of the worst P5 college basketball rosters imaginable, and has managed to have 10+ ACC wins in 2/3 of his full seasons so far. And in year 4, he now has Wake Forest positioned as well as anyone in the ACC not named Duke or UNC to make the NCAAT.

What the hell are you so pissed off about?

OK, keyboard badass. Name the coaches currently available to WF, that could put the men's basketball team in a better position to make the NCAAT than Steve Forbes?

Look at every ACC program, not named Duke or UNC, which has made a coaching change in the last 5 years and let me know if they are better positioned than WF under Forbes today:

• Syracuse
  • BC
  • Pitt
  • L'ville
  • Notre Dame
  • GT
  • VT

Plus, WF was in worse position than all of those schools except for possibly BC when the coaching change was made. It's just not that easy to take a program that was left for dead and get them in the top 40 range. Forbes has done that. The idea that schools can change coaches and suddenly make NCAAT is a fantasy. Schools that constantly change coaches; constantly suck.

What the hell are you so pissed off about?
Specifically you sports board posters who are being condescending assholes to the people making fair criticisms about Forbes. That sunshine brigade shit sucks.

Specifically you sports board posters who are being condescending assholes to the people making fair criticisms about Forbes. That sunshine brigade shit sucks.
I don't think you've made a fair criticism tbh.

Expecting NCAAT berths and wins within 3 years considering the program that Forbes inherited is expecting a hell of a lot. I think there were literally zero coaches that we reasonably could have hired for whom I think that would have been a reasonable expectation. To add: I think the job that Steve Forbes has done so far is in the top quartile of outcomes we could have expected from a new coach after firing Danny Manning.

I don't think you've made a fair criticism tbh.

Expecting NCAAT berths and wins within 3 years considering the program that Forbes inherited is expecting a hell of a lot. I think there were literally zero coaches that we reasonably could have hired for whom I think that would have been a reasonable expectation. To add: I think the job that Steve Forbes has done so far is in the top quartile of outcomes we could have expected from a new coach after firing Danny Manning.
That is reasonable, it's also reasonable to assert we're getting in the "put up or shut up" phase for Forbes and if he doesn't put up the rest of this season and next season, then some decisions need to be made.

Expecting NCAAT berths and wins within 3 years considering the program that ____ inherited is expecting a hell of a lot. I think there were literally zero coaches that we reasonably could have hired for whom I think that would have been a reasonable expectation.
Stop condescending fans who have more immediate expectations than just fighting for a bid in season 4. It’s ridiculous.

My guesstimate was that it would take 8 full seasons (2 full, 4 year classes) to get the stink of Redacted and Manning out of our jerseys and back into the top 10. Obviously the transfer portal has changed the game, but I’d say we’re actually ahead of that pace.

Stop condescending fans who have more immediate expectations than just fighting for a bid in season 4. It’s ridiculous.
I'm genuinely not trying to be condescending, and I apologize if it comes across that way. Similar to you seeming to get frustrated with fans that have tempered expectations, I get frustrated with fans that loudly complain about expectations that I feel are unrealistic.

I don't sit here and call you things like the "doomsday brigade" though

My guesstimate was that it would take 8 full seasons (2 full, 4 year classes) to get the stink of Redacted and Manning out of our jerseys and back into the top 10. Obviously the transfer portal has changed the game, but I’d say we’re actually ahead of that pace.
Yeah, I guess maybe top 10, but in basketball and especially with the transfer portal, things can change a lot faster than in football. No NCAA tourney this year or next year, that would be very bad for Forbes I think.

Last edited:
do I need to spell it out for you all? Don’t call me a fucking clown. Coach Forbes is a very well compensated professional, he can handle criticism, you aren’t his mommy. Back off.

Back