• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 18: Louisville @ LJVM -- Saturday Noon -- ESPNU

Everybody talks about the walk-ons losing playing time due to metrics. But Forbes would probably give Marion and Canka and now Ituka more minutes before putting in the walk-ons if not for metrics.

Everybody talks about the walk-ons losing playing time due to metrics. But Forbes would probably give Marion and Canka and now Ituka more minutes before putting in the walk-ons if not for metrics.
Forbes knew that he needed a 20+ point win for the metrics. Thus he couldn't pull the starters at the under 4 minute timeout and coast to a win in the teens. Thus no time for the developing guys and little for the walkons.

Forbes knew that he needed a 20+ point win for the metrics. Thus he couldn't pull the starters at the under 4 minute timeout and coast to a win in the teens. Thus no time for the developing guys and little for the walkons.

Just the reason why Forbes hates the metrics and has made it known.

I wish we had played Ituka a few minutes earlier in the game, just to start getting him acclimated back to game speed. We may need him and wouldn't want, for instance, the UNC game to be the first time he sees action.

I took it as a sign he’s not in the rotation and is unlikely to play tomorrow.
It may be that running plays and organizing the offense takes more practice than just finding open spots and splashing nets. Also, Damai has played a bunch of actual games for Wake under Forbes and staff. Jao has only played a few games and few minutes while injured.

I took it as he is not in game condition/speed. He doesn’t, that I know about, provide the offensive ability that Monsanto does. He will be worked in slowly.

It may be difficult to give PT to Ituka. Friedrichsen has earned his PT behind Miller, Hildreth and Sallis. Parker has shown no evidence of hitting the freshman wall and may be ready for more minutes and more responsibility. Monsanto will get as many minutes as he can handle effectively. Coaches don't usually expand their rotation during conference play, they reduce it. Jao has been injured for most of two seasons and has never established himself as a rotation player. Tough time to get minutes

There are plenty of minutes to be had especially with Monsanto playing the 4.

Forbes talked about the end of bench scholarship players in the post-game presser. He said he always asks everybody if they want to go in before he gets to the walk-ons. Sometimes they say yes, sometimes they say no (so the walk-ons do get the chance).

i'm sure that's part of it for some folks (not casting doubt on ituka's intentions), but imo the clear motivation behind forbes comments in the presser was around guys not wanting to feel shown up / patronized by being put into the game at the end after not playing the whole game. most players don't want to be seen as the human victory cigar. hence why he gives them the option to refuse coming in. (he contrasted that was the walk-ons, who are always excited to get in the game)

Yeah I kinda get Marion and Marsh saying "nah we're good". Canka and Clark should probably take the mins where they can get them.

For Ituka, there's also keeping open the small possibility of using this as a redshirt year since he hasn't played a minute yet. It would be terrible to play 30 seconds with the walkons, suffer a setback at practice, and use the year of eligibility. If he's going to play, it should start with meaningful minutes. And if he can't get to the point where he's getting those? Redshirt.

For Ituka, there's also keeping open the small possibility of using this as a redshirt year since he hasn't played a minute yet. It would be terrible to play 30 seconds with the walkons, suffer a setback at practice, and use the year of eligibility. If he's going to play, it should start with meaningful minutes. And if he can't get to the point where he's getting those? Redshirt.
Its not easy to keep up point guard skills like reading defenses, setting up the correct play and making passes without other players being involved. It is a lot easier to keep a shooting eye sharp all alone in a gym.

Back