• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 20: UVA @ LJVM - Saturday 2pm - ESPNU

DR is obsessed with a smaller arena. We all have our issues, and this is his. Mine is the green seats upstairs but I keep it to myself most of the time.
I don't think anyone disagrees with DR that we need a smaller / better arena, but he just makes some ridiculous points in general. Personally, I'd move the press section to midcourt of the second deck on one side to have more lower bowl seating for fans and make use of the often-empty space upstairs, and I'd close the upper deck and upgrade ticket holders for early season games where there is plenty of room downstairs. Those are two easy, relatively cheap fixes, and the press would rather a midcourt view from the front of the upper tier than be stuck along the baseline only having a good view of one part of the court.

I don't think anyone disagrees with DR that we need a smaller / better arena, but he just makes some ridiculous points in general. Personally, I'd move the press section to midcourt of the second deck on one side to have more lower bowl seating for fans and make use of the often-empty space upstairs, and I'd close the upper deck and upgrade ticket holders for early season games where there is plenty of room downstairs. Those are two easy, relatively cheap fixes, and the press would rather a midcourt view from the front of the upper tier than be stuck along the baseline only having a good view of one part of the court.
Close the entire upper deck? No. Way.

The upper deck seats near midcourt and down low are damn good seats. Just get rid of upper end zone seats.

Close the entire upper deck? No. Way.
Close it for games when there are hundreds and hundreds of empties downstairs. That's what Seton Hall does at Prudential Center. If their attendance of like 9,000 was spread between two tiers of a 19,000-seat arena, the atmosphere would stink. When it's 9,000 sitting in 10,000 lower bowl seats packed together with the upper tier curtained off, the atmosphere is great despite technically filling half the gym. St. John's at the Garden also opens one upper deck section at a time as needed so you don't end up with the situations we have where there are seats close to the court empty and 300 people scattered upstairs in the beginning of the season. Obviously, by conference play we would hope that we need the upper deck open.

Close it for games when there are hundreds and hundreds of empties downstairs. That's what Seton Hall does at Prudential Center. If their attendance of like 9,000 was spread between two tiers of a 19,000-seat arena, the atmosphere would stink. When it's 9,000 sitting in 10,000 lower bowl seats packed together with the upper tier curtained off, the atmosphere is great despite technically filling half the gym. St. John's at the Garden also opens one upper deck section at a time as needed so you don't end up with the situations we have where there are seats close to the court empty and 300 people scattered upstairs in the beginning of the season. Obviously, by conference play we would hope that we need the upper deck open.
Outside of Xmas break, that’s not the easiest to forecast.

Outside of Xmas break, that’s not the easiest to forecast.
The St. John's model doesn't even require forecasting. All season tickets are downstairs, and they don't open additional upper deck tickets until the outstanding allotment is approaching a sell-out. Until the lowers are gone, just sell those, then until the sideline upper deck tickets are gone, just sell those, then the whole upper deck.

Back