• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 20: UVA @ LJVM - Saturday 2pm - ESPNU

Glad to see DR make an appearance. I mean, no shit we need a smaller building. First let's start with winning consistenly again.
Bennett said it was best WF atmosphere in his 14 years at UVA. 2009 and 2010 must have been good crowds before the decade of doom.
Saw that. Hard to believe he's been there that long.

Wake alums still miss the point—after decades of disaster—that players and coaches don’t want to play their home games in a morgue and thus the best of the best go elsewhere all too often.

Gifts fell in our lap with the local product Paul and the unrecruited Duncan. We had two of basketballs all-time 25 best players. And we couldn’t do anything with them either.

The problem is us.
Maybe the problem is you.

You were and are perfectly positioned to motivate Wake Forest to build a smaller arena. You are local and incredibly wealthy according to your own reports. And yet, because of your approach, you have been unable to persuade any one at Wake Forest to follow your direction.

Instead of hobnobbing with Wake Forest higher ups and building inroads with people who can execute your vision, you've spent your time here alienating the most passionate fans of the school you're trying to influence.

This is not a winning strategy.

Wake alums still miss the point—after decades of disaster—that players and coaches don’t want to play their home games in a morgue and thus the best of the best go elsewhere all too often.

Gifts fell in our lap with the local product Paul and the unrecruited Duncan. We had two of basketballs all-time 25 best players. And we couldn’t do anything with them either.

The problem is us.
Classically avoids the accusation that he didn’t attend either game this week yet bitches about attendance.

Maybe the problem is you.

You were and are perfectly positioned to motivate Wake Forest to build a smaller arena. You are local and incredibly wealthy according to your own reports. And yet, because of your approach, you have been unable to persuade any one at Wake Forest to follow your direction.

Instead of hobnobbing with Wake Forest higher ups and building inroads with people who can execute your vision, you've spent your time here alienating the most passionate fans of the school you're trying to influence.

This is not a winning strategy.
He even admitted that he gives basically nothing to Wake and donates more to other schools, including our competitors. So he has no room to speak about anything. The only reason he’s posting now is because he’s waiting on return calls from all of the Saturday night DUI crash victims. The only thing he’s gotten anyone associated with Wake to agree on is that he’s a moron.

You are happy with Wake Forest hoops aren’t you?

0 ACC title game appearances in 25 years. 0-1 in the ACC quarters in 15 years. 1 sweet 16 in 25 years. Another missed field of 64 appearance for the 13th straight year. No promise for the future.

Our alums are satisfied with this.

Listen y’all, every penny counts, even the 100,000 or so of them that DR can scrape up from the corners of the ambulances he’s chasing.

If you ask John Currie candidly, I bet he'd love a touch smaller arena. But, his job is to make a budget work for all Wake Forest sports teams. Right now, we have a very serviceable arena. At some point, I suspect it will get updated/upgraded in some ways. Until that time, we should spend our time and energy supporting the players we have in the arena that we have (i.e. money is better spent on NIL than a new arena)
I do find it curious DR claims players leave here because they don't want to play in the Joel. Who has left that we wanted to stay? No one that I'm aware of.
And recruits going to a dump of a place like FSU hardly argues that recruits are flocking away from Wake because of the Joel. Wake's lack of recent success, tough academic standards, and small student body size likely are much bigger issues for recruits. But, to deny the core of players Forbes is building is to turn a blind eye. The talent and results are worlds better than they've been in a decade. Let's enjoy the process and let it unfold.

Last edited:
The results certainly indicate that nothing predicts success on a neutral site or the road more than having a small home arena. We have been pedestrian on the road and neutral sites and awesome at home the last two years. Logically the natural change is in the home arena. Get that right and the road and neutral site wins will come.

We’re just not going to beat a top 10 team when they make 15 threes and our best player goes 4-16 from the field. A lot of those threes were open in the first half, but they kept hitting some contested ones in the second. Forbes is right, we had 3 chances to take the lead when we were down one and just couldn’t get over the hump.

Happy with the fight and now a big game looms against Pitt on Wednesday. Would like to go 2-1 the next three games, that starts with a victory on Wed. Not sure what the status of Smith is for State, but would assume at this point he will be out for our game against them in Winston next weekend.
This is a good post.

Going into the five game stretch in question, I was hoping for 4-1, but 3-2 is more realistic and pretty good. If we go 3-2, we will likely continue to be #3-4 in the ACC with a chance to rack up some wins down the remaining eight game stretch.

2-1 over the next three games puts us at 16 wins and we then have a decent chance to go 6-2 in our last 8. That would get us to 22 wins and a top four finish in the conference (and a double bye for the ACCT). Have to think if we win 22 or 23 games, we will be in the field of 64. That’s all that matters at this point.

Damn I wish Ituka wasn’t injured and damn I wish Marsh/Bradford were developing more as the season progresses. Beat Pitt.

2-1 over the next 3 would be an excellent result, IMHO. I fear that 1-2 may be more likely. Hope I’m wrong.

When the Deacons are really going well is when one can see directly the disaster that is the Joel. Thousands of empty seats this week for our two big games.

Great fans, just not enough for the tractor pull arena. Great students, just hidden behind the basket.

What we saw this week was Wake hoops support at its peak. We have what we have and cannot create the ideal environment in LJVM for recruits to want to play there (or in this era for players to want to stay).

An environment designed for that support could have gotten us over the top. More importantly it would have endeared us to players encouraging them to suit up for the Deacs.

The Forbes era is even more telling because there can be no dispute what a good Coach he is. The reason we suck is not because of a Coach. We’ve now sucked for 5 straight coaches. The problem at Wake Forest is that we as alums have not given the team what they need to succeed.

That’s a the proper home venue and significant NIL directed to basketball so we can bring in better players. That takes money and sustained support. We only have 8k fans who will attend weeknight bubble games. We need to structure ourselves accordingly.
Donald, I too think our fan base matches a smaller arena. The only thing that gives me pause about that thought is that you are so incessantly repetitive about this topic and you have been so wrong about so many things over the years. As a reminder, just a few of your greatest hits:

• Jason Williams unofficially officially will not play
  • John Pelphrey is a star and should be our next coach
  • The time you claimed the Waffle House waitress remembered you a year later
  • This is a good one: When you tweeted, "Scaramucci. Self-made millionaire. Comes in and calls everyone out for who they are. He won't stop either. Love him because I am him." You somehow managed to tweet this during Scaramucci's 10 day stint as Director of White House Communications.
  • This is, in my opinion, the best one: When you posted, "I have seen the future of basketball, and his name is Shavlik Randolph."

Yeah our expected wins over the next 3 are around 1.2. So more likely (stats wise at least) to win 0 than all 3. That said, Pitt didn’t play well yesterday and even though smith is day to day no way to know if he’s good to go next week plus that’s in Winston. Let’s beat Pitt and State to bank two wins going into a spot we haven’t won since 1997

You are happy with Wake Forest hoops aren’t you?

0 ACC title game appearances in 25 years. 0-1 in the ACC quarters in 15 years. 1 sweet 16 in 25 years. Another missed field of 64 appearance for the 13th straight year. No promise for the future.

Our alums are satisfied with this.
You seem like a grumpy old man who doesn’t understand the current college basketball landscape. As Forbes repeatedly says (note, Clawson doesn’t say this because it’s not quite the same for Wake football) we have not been able to use money to recruit and retain basketball talent. Other schools such as Miami and most of the SEC have boosters openly spending millions to secure signatures from high school recruits. We also are coming off a lost decade. Despite all that, in his first real year Forbes won 23 regular season games and hit 13-7 in the ACC. Would have made the tournament if it wasn’t for a host of exterior factors and a bad job by the committee. This year he has taken a roster nobody expected much out of and has us in contention for a top 4 ACC finish. If we miss the tournament again this year and next then I’ll be disappointed, but right now I’m absolutely happy with where we’ve gotten in just two years. If you’re not then you’re just grumpy.

3-5 in the ACC and 6-6 overall is pretty brutal but let’s not derail another thread with weird small time football expectations and get back to my original point that if you win, they will come!
7-6 and a bowl win. That doesn’t come close to sucking at WF. You should have attended Alabama or Ohio St.

Wait, you come up with this after all the shit you talked about... certain college kids on the court?
Commentary about a player’s lack of shooting ability usually won’t result in WF classmates being angry at the player. That was my concern about the attacks on Bennett’s daughter.

Back