• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 20: UVA @ LJVM - Saturday 2pm - ESPNU

The results certainly indicate that nothing predicts success on a neutral site or the road more than having a small home arena. We have been pedestrian on the road and neutral sites and awesome at home the last two years. Logically the natural change is in the home arena. Get that right and the road and neutral site wins will come.
?

The results certainly indicate that nothing predicts success on a neutral site or the road more than having a small home arena. We have been pedestrian on the road and neutral sites and awesome at home the last two years. Logically the natural change is in the home arena. Get that right and the road and neutral site wins will come.
Hard to win in an arena with cheering fans when it's been a decade + with no practice !

Nothing much to add here except my own disappointment. Not enough broke our way, and Virginia looks good to me. I've watched them a bit this season, and this is the best I've seen them play.

DR is obsessed with a smaller arena. We all have our issues, and this is his. Mine is the green seats upstairs but I keep it to myself most of the time.

I’m sure changes will be made to the Joel. We aren’t getting a new arena, nor should we spend the money to build one when that money can go elsewhere.

Bennett said it was best WF atmosphere in his 14 years at UVA. 2009 and 2010 must have been good crowds before the decade of doom.
UVA didn't play at LJVM in 2009. They did in 2010 though, at about the same time they did this year. Still a long decade of suckitude in between.

Wake alums still miss the point—after decades of disaster—that players and coaches don’t want to play their home games in a morgue and thus the best of the best go elsewhere all too often.

Gifts fell in our lap with the local product Paul and the unrecruited Duncan. We had two of basketballs all-time 25 best players. And we couldn’t do anything with them either.

The problem is us.
How do you explain Khadim Sy tranferring from your dream arena at Ole Miss to our morgue? I assume he really likes tractor pulls.

The irony is that most are probably in favor of a smaller arena but since DR won’t shut up about it plenty of those same folks are soured on the topic which has the effect of limiting those folks going out to banter about it.

Once the football locker rooms are finished, hopefully the focus can be on renovating the Joel.

When the Deacons are really going well is when one can see directly the disaster that is the Joel. Thousands of empty seats this week for our two big games.

Great fans, just not enough for the tractor pull arena. Great students, just hidden behind the basket.

What we saw this week was Wake hoops support at its peak. We have what we have and cannot create the ideal environment in LJVM for recruits to want to play there (or in this era for players to want to stay).

An environment designed for that support could have gotten us over the top. More importantly it would have endeared us to players encouraging them to suit up for the Deacs.

The Forbes era is even more telling because there can be no dispute what a good Coach he is. The reason we suck is not because of a Coach. We’ve now sucked for 5 straight coaches. The problem at Wake Forest is that we as alums have not given the team what they need to succeed.

That’s a the proper home venue and significant NIL directed to basketball so we can bring in better players. That takes money and sustained support. We only have 8k fans who will attend weeknight bubble games. We need to structure ourselves accordingly.

How was the UNC game last night?

I’m sure changes will be made to the Joel. We aren’t getting a new arena, nor should we spend the money to build one when that money can go elsewhere.
We just can’t finance any renovations with margins on parking fees. That’s apparently a bridge too far.

I’m probably too dumb and stupid to follow along but why are we ditching the Joel when we used to fill it up?

I agree with dr on the Joel but do not think we should spend money on a new arena. Seems like an easy first phase fix to me: close in the end zones of the upper deck (18 sections, so probably about 4,000 seats), replace the remaining seats upstairs with gold seats, paint the outside of the arena Black and gold (where the teal is). Do it in phases and don’t worry about what the end zones are or become, just block them off to create a smaller, louder place. I personally do not like the Jumbotron so perhaps the end zones could be screens like the moody center. Yes, I know this has been discussed many times before but it just does not seem difficult or even that expensive.

I agree with dr on the Joel but do not think we should spend money on a new arena. Seems like an easy first phase fix to me: close in the end zones of the upper deck (18 sections, so probably about 4,000 seats), replace the remaining seats upstairs with gold seats, paint the outside of the arena Black and gold (where the teal is). Do it in phases and don’t worry about what the end zones are or become, just block them off to create a smaller, louder place. I personally do not like the Jumbotron so perhaps the end zones could be screens like the moody center. Yes, I know this has been discussed many times before but it just does not seem difficult or even that expensive.
Love all this except getting rid of the Jumbotron. At the Deandome a few weeks ago all I want to do was easily look up for replays. No Jumbotron feels smalltime tbh.

The best idea I’ve seen here was taking out the endzone uppers and replacing the student side one with a student club section and the other with a general club section.

Commentary about a player’s lack of shooting ability usually won’t result in WF classmates being angry at the player. That was my concern about the attacks on Bennett’s daughter.
I think people are perfectly right to be annoyed at their classmate for flipping them off lol that's an intentional act and a lot different than having a bad shooting night. I also don't think anyone will say anything about it anyway.

Back