• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 22: @ GT -- Tuesday 7 pm -- ESPNU

I don't know if he's pressing due to limited minutes, but Marsh has stone hands this year compared to last year.

"If you take out the 35-3 run, we actually outscored them."

This was the inverse of our [Redacted] game at GT in 2011 when we lost 74-39 and went over 12 minutes without a field goal in the second half.
There was also a repeat of the infamous "BACK TO BACK BACKETS" from our guy LaPhonso Ellis, but this time it was Dan Bonner, and he said "BACK TO BACK BASKETS", correctly.

Tech is having an absolutely bizarre season. Their only three conference wins are at Clemson, and UNC/Duke at home.

While both can be true this seemed to be a lame duck game by GT more than a Wake played outstanding rationale
I would say that Wake was outstanding on the defensive end. It's not like GT missed a ton of wide open shots. Granted, GT made Wake's job easier by forcing some difficult shots early in the shot clock.

But yeah, Wake wasn't even all that good offensively last night, which should be alarming to a GT team that still has to come play at the Joel in a few weeks.

While both can be true this seemed to be a lame duck game by GT more than a Wake played outstanding rationale
GaTech was leading the league in made threes per game (ACC games only). Also held their last two opponents to 38% shooting. Their coach was talking about physical defense in those games. I didn't see much of it last night. And the refs weren't calling a tight game.

Wake's road difficulties with making threes continued. Wake owned the paint, both scoring and rebounding. Wake point total (80) was right at season average for ACC games.

To further highlight Wake's defense last night, Wake held GT to 68.9 points per 100 possessions. No other ACC team has held them below 90 in that stat, and they had been >100 in all but two other games.

Something with that stark of a difference doesn't just happen because a team has an off night, the defense absolutely plays a major role there.

For all the "advantages" of an on campus arena, GaTech only has one home game with over 10,000 official attendance this season. It was when they hosted Penn State in December. The early season Duke game only drew 7700.

For all the "advantages" of an on campus arena, GaTech only has one home game with over 10,000 official attendance this season. It was when they hosted Penn State in December. The early season Duke game only drew 7700.
Turns out fans will show up to any arena when a team is good and will not when they are bad

Pretty sure McCamish only holds like 8600. It's not big.

I’m not going to join y’all in shitting on a first year ACC coach who already has wins against UNC and Duke.
Yeah, I watched his postgame presser and I thought he said all of the right things.

And I also watched the postgame from when they beat UNC (a week ago). He didn't get too high after that one.

I think he understands where they are and that he needs to up the talent level for next season. I wouldn't bet against him.

Yeah, I watched his postgame presser and I thought he said all of the right things.

And I also watched the postgame from when they beat UNC (a week ago). He didn't get too high after that one.

I think he understands where they are and that he needs to up the talent level for next season. I wouldn't bet against him.
They've got two Overtime Elite kids signed -- Jaeden Mustaf, who WF was interested in, and Darrion Sutton -- for next year. If they hold onto Nait George and Baye Ndongo and a little bit of the core (maybe Miles Kelly but I doubt it), they're going to be really interesting next year.

Kind of think the opposite of Earl Grant on Stoudamire. Like, I think both are good coaches -- I think Grant can't get enough talent to BC to win games and leave, while I think Stoudamire winds up with enough talent to win enough games at GT that he won't be there more than the next 2-3 years.

Tech is having an absolutely bizarre season. Their only three conference wins are at Clemson, and UNC/Duke at home.
They also gave Duke a battle at Cameron. GT led by 10 in the 2nd half, and it was a 1 point game with 2 minutes left. Hard to square those results with the team that played last night.

They also gave Duke a battle at Cameron. GT led by 10 in the 2nd half, and it was a 1 point game with 2 minutes left. Hard to square those results with the team that played last night.
Are you trying to allege GT had a Charles Shackleford/Ralph Kitley point shaving moment?

Thinking about Kitley, it's kinda funny how bad he was at the ACC level and how great his daughter is. It's a nice family story of her journey to VT. And Kenny Brooks seems like 1 of the really good dudes in the business.

Kitley and I shop at the same grocery store and I see him at least once a week. He’s always rocking his VT gear.

Back