• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 22: NC State Wolfpack @ LJVM: Saturday 1 pm: ACCN

Wasn’t it stated by the staff early in the year that Taylor was our best on ball defender?
If true, you’d think we would maybe try a couple spots where defense becomes more of the focal point. Could be a reach, but obviously trying to hindsight coach a day later.
Carr was perfect from the floor while scoring 14 and getting 9 rebounds. He needed to be more aggressive and potentially having Burns guard him, could have opened that door a bit more.
Taylor was starting games early on, although he rarely played major minutes.

in conference we’ve had by far the #1 most effective offense. sure there are always legit nitpicks and things to improve on, but clearly what we are doing there is working.

we’ve scored 1.19 points per possession, miami is #2 at 1.14, which is a bigger gap than miami and unc (1.1), who is 7th.

in conference we’ve had by far the #1 most effective offense. sure there are always legit nitpicks and things to improve on, but clearly what we are doing there is working.

we’ve scored 1.19 points per possession, miami is #2 at 1.14, which is a bigger gap than miami and unc (1.1), who is 7th.
If you think having a 6’3” guard spending 20+ seconds of the shot clock dribbling frequently looking to get a shot off in the lane against guys 5 to 9 inches taller and more athletic than him is a recipe for success against good teams than I don’t know what to say. Look I’ve got nothing against Hildreth, just the role either Forbes has asked him to play or the role he’s taken upon himself to play.

I do absolutely agree the biggest problem is defense. We seem incapable of playing good defense for at best half a game (like yesterday) or at worst the whole game.

If you think having a 6’3” guard spending 20+ seconds of the shot clock dribbling frequently looking to get a shot off in the lane against guys 5 to 9 inches taller and more athletic than him is a recipe for success against good teams than I don’t know what to say. Look I’ve got nothing against Hildreth, just the role either Forbes has asked him to play or the role he’s taken upon himself to play.

I do absolutely agree the biggest problem is defense. We seem incapable of playing good defense for at best half a game (like yesterday) or at worst the whole game.

I think that if our second leading scorer were playing the wrong role, it is very unlikely we would have by far the best offense in the conference.

I think that if our second leading scorer were playing the wrong role, it is very unlikely we would have by far the best offense in the conference.
Again if you think having Hildreth dribble the ball for the majority of the shot clock, look for shot in the lane only to frequently be rejected by bigger players than whatever. Our inability to get create open shots yesterday hurt.

Again if you think having Hildreth dribble the ball for the majority of the shot clock, look for shot in the lane only to frequently be rejected by bigger players than whatever. Our inability to get create open shots yesterday hurt.
The numbers are what they are. We score more points per possession than any other team in the ACC. I guess you may not like how we're doing it (just like some don't like the slow mesh), but we have a very effective offense.

Hildreth doing that has been mostly successful this season, so I’m cool with it, even if it’s not the prettiest, but it was clear he was not on yesterday (Forbes even mentioned this in the post game), so it should have been shut down/adjusted in the 2nd, imo.

The lack of Monsanto looks in the 2nd, extended negative Williamson run, and leaving Marsh solo to get destroyed over and over, was probably the most frustrated I’ve been with Forbes. I give a lot of leeway to coaches having to do pressers right after losses, and I usually love Forbes’ pressers, but also was not thrilled with some of his comments/tone. Frustrating afternoon!

The numbers are what they are. We score more points per possession than any other team in the ACC. I guess you may not like how we're doing it (just like some don't like the slow mesh), but we have a very effective offense.
Yeah and we have little margin for error since we don’t play good defense and that is why a guy getting shots blocked in the lane because he’s not really suited to for that makes a difference. Hildreth is an effective driver to the basket when it’s there and it decisive, not when he’s basically trying to do what Burns was doing to us yesterday at 8 inches shorter and close to 100 pounds lighter. That is what I’m saying.

Regardless of coaching, scheme etc, I think people are downplaying State’s superior athleticism and quickness at most every position. We couldn’t get open shots, and they were quicker to the offensive boards and 50/50 balls. They made us look uncomfortable for most of the game.
Agree completely. Except for Appleby and Monsanto, I thought State was clearly more athletic and quicker than us everywhere else.

Regardless of coaching, scheme etc, I think people are downplaying State’s superior athleticism and quickness at most every position. We couldn’t get open shots, and they were quicker to the offensive boards and 50/50 balls. They made us look uncomfortable for most of the game.

Amazing what can be done in the portal as the wolpfack was DFL last season.

Some of this reminds me of criticisms re: our football team the last two years. Sure we had a few hiccups on offense, but overall, the majority of our losses were mostly because of bad defense in the aggregate. I feel like that’s the case with our b-ball team this year. Criticizing the offense isn’t where to start in fixing our problems. They’re much larger elsewhere.

Other than the bad defense at times (which to me looks like scheme and coaching, not a lack of talent or effort) I’m really disappointed in Marsh’s development as the season has progressed. Monsanto kept Burns from backing him down into the paint better than Marsh and Matt is legitimately huge compared to Monsanto. Play with some pride.

Hildreth has been successful against many of our opponents. He has struggled against bigger, quicker defenders not surprisingly. What bothers me is not moving away from that strategy when not working

Yeah, we still have the disappointment of our preseason highly ranked baseball team that will underachieve to look forward to. Bad attitude I know.
Baseball is one of those sports where lots of failure is accepted and can even be considered very good. Fail to get a hit on 2/3 of your at bats? Great!

Back