• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 22: NC State Wolfpack @ LJVM: Saturday 1 pm: ACCN

It has been very obvious since early on that if Ituka couldn’t play, we were asking way too much of Ty to succeed all year. Of course his 3 point shot is off. He’s being asked to do too much.

Except, he’s a 65% FT shooter and shot 37.5% today
Small sample size Deac.

But yeah I would've tried to put him on the line a little bit more. Looking at his career free throw numbers he's probably somewhere around a 60% free throw shooter so if we foul him infinity times in a theoretical world he makes about 60%. He was below that today on his 8 shots

My point was, you said his O rating was roughly the same. Great. FT’s are part of O rating so that one part of his rating was suppressed today (meaning his non-FT O performance was better than his season average)

Yeah I was also just pointing out that he only shot 8 free throws. So instead of making 5 of 8 he made 3 of 8. So two points. Yeah that's meaningful in a two point game, but not in the scheme of calculating efficiency

He hadn’t scored more than 18 points in any game this year. Averaged around 10 a game. I think that’s a better comparison than O rating

Of course, he had a fantastic game. Just pointing out that he used up a large number of possessions to get the points which was why we were even in it. It's pretty rare to have a guy at 48% possession usage

One way to stop a player that is keeping his team in the game offensively is to deny him the ball. If need be front him and make the Pack pass over a 7 foot defender. Never happened. No attempt to deny the inlet pass. Burns missed enough in the first half and our centers rebounded enough that Burns was negated. Not so in the second half. He scored on six consecutive trips in the second half to keep them in the game. Scored on two of the next five possessions to give them the lead. Infuriating.

He hadn’t scored more than 18 points in any game this year. Averaged around 10 a game. I think that’s a better comparison than O rating
And he scored 23 in the second half. Unreal. He barely missed making the Wake record books for most opponent points in a half. I blocked out that Luke Kennard and Cat Barber had 30 points in the 2nd half in consecutive seasons.

Tired of ______________(insert Hildreth, Carr, Appleby) in the lane trying to dribble for a shot. I'd say by the 4th or 5th dribble, screens and cutters should be cutting to the basket vs becoming part of the stands and just watching.

Said this last year and it hasn't changed: Williamson needs to learn to pass/kick out when he drives and is stopped by 1-3 guys who are 6'6" or taller.
Is anyone working with Marsh and Bradford on some O moves/shots. Got to have a little more out of that position.

Over the last 15 ACC Tournaments, Wake is 0-8 in the Round of 12.

Wake has also not won at Duke in 25 years.

Getting those goose eggs behind us, seems like the only thing we can accomplish. Overcoming either one would be a nice start.

Over the last 15 ACC Tournaments, Wake is 0-8 in the Round of 12.

Wake has also not won at Duke in 25 years.

Getting those goose eggs behind us, seems like the only thing we can accomplish. Overcoming either one would be a nice start.

No better time than the present! :)

And he scored 23 in the second half. Unreal. He barely missed making the Wake record books for most opponent points in a half. I blocked out that Luke Kennard and Cat Barber had 30 points in the 2nd half in consecutive seasons.

Hold the fat man to his avg and we win going away.

Watching my recording of the game now. One of the things I was really impressed with yesterday sitting in the Joel was the way State guarded us, particularly on the perimeter. Knowing how bad a defensive team they were last year, this gives me hope that we too can become a much better defensive team next season.

I really like our team—they are playing hard and giving everything they’ve got. Remembered thinking back in November that for us to be a tournament team three things needed to happen. First, we had to get Monsanto going (that was when he was in the midst of that slump). Second, we needed Klintman and Keller to mature into solid contributors. Third, we needed Ituka to get healthy to help our depth and defense in the backcourt. Only one of those things has happened, and we are going to come up short.

Wasn’t it stated by the staff early in the year that Taylor was our best on ball defender?
If true, you’d think we would maybe try a couple spots where defense becomes more of the focal point. Could be a reach, but obviously trying to hindsight coach a day later.
Carr was perfect from the floor while scoring 14 and getting 9 rebounds. He needed to be more aggressive and potentially having Burns guard him, could have opened that door a bit more.

Help me understand - why are we referencing Ituka as the only potential backup for Appleby? Why isn’t McCray playing? Is he hurt?

McCray and his parents told Forbes he wanted to redshirt this year.

Agreed on playing Taylor if he can defend. It’s not like these other guys are adding anything on the offensive side either.

Need to buy more minutes in the 1st half for our starters.

Tired of ______________(insert Hildreth, Carr, Appleby) in the lane trying to dribble for a shot. I'd say by the 4th or 5th dribble, screens and cutters should be cutting to the basket vs becoming part of the stands and just watching.

Said this last year and it hasn't changed: Williamson needs to learn to pass/kick out when he drives and is stopped by 1-3 guys who are 6'6" or taller.
Is anyone working with Marsh and Bradford on some O moves/shots. Got to have a little more out of that position.
Amen. I don’t even blame them at this point because it’s obviously part of the game plan since Forbes keeps allowing them to do it. Hildreth is a net plus for this team, but he shouldn‘t be a guy the offense runs through and with the amount of time the ball is in his hands it is. He dribbles too damn much and isn’t big or athletic enough to get his shot off against most ACC teams in the lane.

As far as Burns we didn’t make him guard our post at all because other than an ally oop our post guys do nothing in our offense. Bradford seems legit limited, but give Marsh some touches and see what he can do. He is more than big enough to play the “bully your way“ to the hoop game Burns was playing and see what happens. Burns had 4 fouls and didn’t even have to worry about guarding low post.

I guess Ituka is redshirting or transferring again?

Back