• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 24: @ Duke- Monday 7pm - ESPN

We had to resort to shoot 3’s because Cam and Boopie couldn’t get to the basket or get going period. Carr was the only post scoring presence with Reid in foul trouble and several times he kicked it out for 3’s when they would double team. Totally agree with the 3’s early in the shot clock. Would rather have Parker or Damari shoot a contested 3 opposed to their open ones tbh.
We didn't resort to anything. We took, and missed, 7 three point shots before the 16:00 mark TV timeout. Reid took one 49 seconds into the game. That is not resorting, that is awful coaching.

We have one of the best offenses in the country against bad to mediocre teams. Said offense shits the bed against anyone decent, and especially on the road. That is the sign of a bad coach. We are mentally weak, undisciplined, miss crucial FTs, take awful shots, stupid fouls, and stupid turnovers. All that is all on the coach. He is a great guy, great face of of the program, great at identifying talent in the portal, and a seems like a great hype man. But he has proven over and over and over that he is a bad in-game coach. If we don't have an obvious superior talent advantage, we are fucked. Duke tried all night to give us that game and we didn't take it. But hey, maybe things will be different in the 28th year.
I bet you’re fun to watch a game with.

We didn't resort to anything. We took, and missed, 7 three point shots before the 16:00 mark TV timeout. Reid took one 49 seconds into the game. That is not resorting, that is awful coaching.
I respect people’s opinions, but pal…I don’t think you have a fucking clue what you’re talking about.

If we want to improve, we must raise the intensity of our defense in practice. We must be able to reproduce in practice the stifling defense that we encounter when we play better teams. And we must practice like that from day one, all the time. Right now we are a much poorer team when we have to play against strong defensive pressure. The shots that go in against weaker teams often roll out against the better defenses. Why? Because we don't seem to be sufficiently accustomed to playing against tough persistent pressure in practice.

Rewatched the game to punish myself. Efton playing for as little as he did totally changed the entire game (which someone else pointed out and is obvious, but it’s really telling when you take the time to watch the second half in particular). We went more outside in than inside out and I don’t think we would have done that with our shots not falling. Duke also got a lot of easy buckets in the paint which wouldn’t have happened if he was in the game and Floppycock couldn’t guard Reid to save his life. If he plays another 10 mins, we win that game. Hopefully Efton reflects and realizes that we are a tourney team when he’s out there, and frankly, we aren’t without him. He has absolutely got to stop giving up cheap fouls early in the game.

Get revenge two Saturday’s from now at home and shoot the lights out at UVA in four days.

That’s a great point. This may not be a FF type Duke team but they still have really talented players and play really good position defense. I rarely saw Duke players getting totally screened off. They fight through screens as well as any team and play strong interior defense. Add to that shooting and athleticism and they are still a tough out. We shot poorly (Monday game on the road) and just didn’t have enough at the end. Boopie seems to have match up issues with some teams. (State, Duke?). His lack of presence was probably enough to tip the game away from Wake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we want to improve, we must raise the intensity of our defense in practice. We must be able to reproduce in practice the stifling defense that we encounter when we play better teams. And we must practice like that from day one, all the time. Right now we are a much poorer team when we have to play against strong defensive pressure. The shots that go in against weaker teams often roll out against the better defenses. Why? Because we don't seem to be sufficiently accustomed to playing against tough persistent pressure in practice.
holy shit you should email this to forbes

anyone have access to on/off splits? curious about our defensive efficiency with and without reid on the court.
14:51 On 29-23 Wake (62 PA/40)
25:09 OFF 40-54 Duke (86 PA/40)

I have spent waaaaaay too much time on compiling and analyzing +/- data and lineup data but haven't pulled that yet. Probably will for the season later this week.

Efton 14 games ex bottom 100 opponents.
ON: 382 minutes +118 (+12.4 per 40)
OFF: 183 minutes -1 (-0.2 per 40)

Carr's numbers are even crazier -- and his presence on the court is possibly even more important to our overall success -- but these guys are 1/2 in some order.
Total Ex B100: ON: +159 (+10.1 per 40); OFF: -42 (-12.1 per 40)
Before Efton: ON 184 min +31 (+6.8 per 40); OFF 21 min: -26 (-48.5 per 40)
After Efton: ON +128 (+11.5); OFF -16 (-5.4)

14:51 On 29-23 Wake (62 PA/40)
25:09 OFF 40-54 Duke (86 PA/40)

I have spent waaaaaay too much time on compiling and analyzing +/- data and lineup data but haven't pulled that yet. Probably will for the season later this week.

Efton 14 games ex bottom 100 opponents.
ON: 382 minutes +118 (+12.4 per 40)
OFF: 183 minutes -1 (-0.2 per 40)

Carr's numbers are even crazier -- and his presence on the court is possibly even more important to our overall success -- but these guys are 1/2 in some order.
Total Ex B100: ON: +159 (+10.1 per 40); OFF: -42 (-12.1 per 40)
Before Efton: ON 184 min +31 (+6.8 per 40); OFF 21 min: -26 (-48.5 per 40)
After Efton: ON +128 (+11.5); OFF -16 (-5.4)
Efton should be shown this. Stop with the silly fouls.

Definitely seemed like we were a step slow which is no surprise after the major effort it took not to get swept by State on Saturday.

And despite the player turnover through the years, at this point the long losing streak in Cameron is probably weighing on our guys' minds and affecting their performance. We really need that monkey off our backs soon. It's getting really embarrassing, like Clemson@UNC-level embarrassing.
Definitely, but when the talent level dropped off after Dino, we just haven’t been on the same plane with Duke. Prior to that no excuse for not getting a win with CP3, Teague & Johnson, somebody. We are finally getting back to a decent talent level.

I respect people’s opinions, but pal…I don’t think you have a fucking clue what you’re talking about.
I don’t know about the coaching aspect of it but I was there with a buddy and we were wondering the same thing with this early barrage of terrible 3’s! And I certainly don’t want Reid taking one early in the shot clock. Yes he is wide open—Duh. I would leave him out there wide open if I was the defense.

Back