• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 24: Notre Dame @ the Joyce Center - Saturday - 1 pm Bally's (unless the plug is pulled)

I think a Scheyerface led dook is a house of cards and recruits will eventually see through him. It’s just a matter of time until they become perma-bubble sniffers

Not so sure about UNC. They will always have players, but Bacot, Nance and Black are definitely gone, and RJ Davis could go as well. Caleb Love is a black hole, hope he returns, guessing he goes thinking the NBA is interested in a guard that can't shoot. Also, I am far from convinced that Hubert Davis can develop talent, every current contributor on UNC was coached by Roy. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see UNC suck next year (especially at the start of the season).

I don't disagree, but UNC has a ton of talent (at least according to HS rankings) that doesn't see the floor. I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Have to assume they have the $$$ to fill some holes via the portal, as well.

I think a Scheyerface led dook is a house of cards and recruits will eventually see through him. It’s just a matter of time until they become perma-bubble sniffers

Agree... And you've already seen Duke take a noticeable step backwards over the last few seasons. But I think if Duke falls apart, I think it will be more gradual. They have 5 more Top 20 players coming in next year.

The problem with Duke is now in the portal era and the extra covid year, teams built around 18 year-olds (even if they are top 20 talent) aren't as good as teams built around 4th and 5th year college players, even if they don't have an NBA pedigree.

You would think that after KY and Duke dominate HS recruiting and then disappoint literally every year the basketball media and public would catch on to the fact that teams built around guys right of HS don't dominate college basketball, regardless of the number of lottery picks on the roster. Experience, age and strength make a difference.

The problem with Duke is now in the portal era and the extra covid year, teams built around 18 year-olds (even if they are top 20 talent) aren't as good as teams built around 4th and 5th year college players, even if they don't have an NBA pedigree.

You would think that after KY and Duke disappoint literally every year the basketball media and public would catch on to the fact that teams built around guys right of HS don't dominate college basketball, regardless of the number of lottery picks on the roster. Experience, age and strength make a difference.

But those players don't suck and they're the ones that are going to play in the NBA... So they get eyeballs and attention.

Nobody gives a shit about guys like Burton and Cummings on Pitt that are helping win games at a program that has sucked for years.

And it's a safer bet to go with KY and Duke in terms of media coverage than to try to guess which transfer portal built teams are going to come together.

And as long as Duke keeps getting top HS players, they won't suck. They may not win in March, but they won't suck.

Yeah, Duke doesn't suck, but they were ranked in the pre-season top 10 and they are now unranked and in 6th place in the ACC. FWIW, if WF ever landed a HS class of 5 guys ranked in the top 20, and plus a couple of returning players who were also HS A-As and WF was in in 6th place in the ACC on February 1, people's heads here would explode. As compared to expectations, Duke sucks. They will be a 5 or 6 seed in the NCAAT; so, out of the 363 D1 teams, they don't suck.

Clemson loses some important players, but if PJ Hall comes back, they won't suck.
JFC Hall can come back to Clemson?? All along I was like well at least this guy will be gone. That really ruined my day. The majority of the rest of the ACC sucking does not hurt my feelings at all though.

Duke is actually not terrible this year when everyone plays. I know all teams deal with injuries, but they look so much better when Roach is on the floor.

Duke is actually not terrible this year when everyone plays. I know all teams deal with injuries, but they look so much better when Roach is on the floor.
They had roach on the floor when we almost beat them in Cameron. Definitely seemed like a game between two mediocre teams

When healthy Duke is probably a 5-7 seed with a ceiling of a 4 seed. If they're able to knock down their outside shots plus their ridiculous number of mid range jumpers I think they can go Sweet 16 or Elite 8 if their great recruiting class continues to improve. They're also ripe for an upset against like Oral Roberts in a 5-12 game if they have an off game. They're an average NCAAT team right now IMO

Could have sworn Duke made the Final Four last year and the best player on the team is a lock for NBA ROY. Y’all are being real optimistic.

Yeah we limped through the hard stretch over the last four games. Probably should've been 1-3 worst case but...that's the way the cookie crumbles.

We're still in Lunardi's "considered" and like the 12th team out of the field so let's just rattle off 7 of 8 wins and find ourselves back in that bubble spot

We've outplayed duke twice. Our record sucks compared to where we should be. It pisses me off.

We, as a fan base, need to stop this. We did not outplay Duke on Tuesday. At no point after the first 17 mins did I think, "yep, we got this one!!!"

Yes, we made it interesting at the end when we cut it to 3 with about 2-3 mins remaining.

We, as a fan base, need to stop this. We did not outplay Duke on Tuesday. At no point after the first 17 mins did I think, "yep, we got this one!!!"

Yes, we made it interesting at the end when we cut it to 3 with about 2-3 mins remaining.

Yeah. Sometimes people say "outplay" when they really mean "could have pulled an upset by playing a little better."

We missed shots, which makes you look bad.

The ShotQuality isn't the end all be all, but we were projected to win by 15 after the game ended. If we have a normal shooting night from the perimeter then we win the game.
Yeah the things that didn't "break our way" (which is just part of the game):

1. Abysmal from the three point line on a lot of open looks
2. Below our average percentage on mid range jumpers (not that I really care about taking these)
3. Duke was above their average percentage on mid range jumpers based on who took the shot (again, teams should stop taking these)
4. Duke was above their average percentage on threes based on who took the shot
5. Didn't finish as many shots inside as we "should have" based on the player taking inside looks (Duke's length added to this)
6. Duke made more shots inside than they "should have" based on the player taking inside looks (Duke's length added to this)

Things that cut for us:

1. We made more free throws than normal

Add all that up and...I don't know man. Looks like a game Wake had a great shot at winning, generally would have won, and we just didn't do it. At the end of the day all that matters is if you made your shots or not, but that doesn't change averages, it's just variance.

Back