• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 27: Duke @ LJVM - Saturday 2 pm - ESPN

The tie dyes seem like one of the times we go most pronounced with the black and yellow instead of old gold. Which obviously has better visual appeal when it’s thousands of them.

Going to the UVA game definitely gave me a better appreciation for how much of an advantage it is to create an environment that matches your team's strategy.

When UVA hits a shot their fans cheer kinda, but holy hell the place explodes for exactly one thing - a shot clock violation. And while Duke fans may be annoying and State fans might be shitty, I've never heard such loud, consistent, universal complaining and booing over defensive calls, even at Duke. UVA's identity as a defensive team means absolutely every whistle against them is a travesty met with a chorus of boos. Every free throw awarded to the visiting team is absurd. The fans around us would lose their minds screaming about the most basic shit like UVA clearly knocking a ball out of bounds. The results are incredible - their starting 5 collectively had 3 fouls! No starter had more than 1. For the game. And McNeely's foul came with 10 seconds left.

That's the affect UVA's crowd has. The starting 5 who scored 41 of their 49 points had 1 foul in the first half called against them total, and 1 foul in the second half total until the 10 second mark. And that's in a game where pretty much everyone was like "wow, this game is really physical."

I've watched a fair amount of basketball this year, and this really does seem unique to the ACC. I mean, Alabama had a great atmosphere against Florida the other night. Yet both teams had about equal foul trouble and free throw attempts, and the refs did this amazing thing where they quietly just called fouls and violations. They didn't ham it up or make crazy gestures, didn't play to the crowd, didn't stir up the coaches with make-up calls or by picking on certain players they didn't like. A few days later UVA goes to VaTech and guess what, more than 3x the fouls on their starters and miraculously again 3 total fouls on the VaTech starters combined.

The reffing in the ACC has dropped to such a pathetic level that it really is hurting the league. I mean, I guess I hope they don't fix it by tomorrow and our crowd influences the refs so much that Reid finishes the game with 2 fouls, but we are a clear outlier compared to the other power conferences.

Most officials at the power conference levels officiate across multiple conferences, so I don't think it's a "reffing in the ACC" type thing. Roger Ayers has officiated 6 ACC games and 6 other conference games in the last two weeks. Teddy Valentine MOSTLY does ACC games but also has 3 of last 10 outside the conference.

Most officials at the power conference levels officiate across multiple conferences, so I don't think it's a "reffing in the ACC" type thing. Roger Ayers has officiated 6 ACC games and 6 other conference games in the last two weeks. Teddy Valentine MOSTLY does ACC games but also has 3 of last 10 outside the conference.
They are old and overworked.

Is there mandatory retirement age for refs?

He said he almost retired after the Joel Berry incident...

In my opinion, that’s the best court we’ve had at the Joel. I like the smaller Deacon head in the jump circle and Wake Forest written out. The trend to massive things drawn or written in the jump circle and all over basketball courts took off and makes most courts now look very busy, IMO. Still love coming across clips of that old court.
Second.

KP tracks foul disparity for home/road games.

ACC is essentially even with SEC/Big East/Big Ten in foul disparity, behind the Big Twelve and clearly ahead of the MWC and PAC 12

Conference​
Foul Disparity​
B12​
-4.3​
SEC​
-3.7​
ACC​
-3.6​
BE​
-3.4​
B10​
-3.4​
MWC​
-3.0​
P12​
-2.6​

This is the do or die moment. Equal parts excited and scared.

Just bear in mind Lunardi probably thinks we can't really move up if we win it.
Read above—Wake is 1-6 in quality games. We do it to ourselves in the ratings and brackets by not winning. Big blowouts have been nice but win a big game please!

Funny you should mention this - I think it was after that ref tossed Keats in our NC State game (and then completely lost control later) that I looked at which refs travel where. That guy had officiated some absurd amount of consecutive games all across the country. I've even watched a couple TV Teddy games outside the ACC - he seems to dial it back when he's visiting other conferences.

There are some efforts out there to rank officials - one of them used Kenpom's and a few other review sites and had Keith Kimble and John Higgins at the top (Big 10/12 primarily) with ACC refs like Morrisey/Covington/Teddy ranking near last and working mostly ACC. Interestingly Teddy's rating was far worse when confined only to ACC games, as were others.

I don't think foul disparity says anything interesting about reffing across a conference. I think the ACC has some fine refs and that calling a game at BC is easy and they handle it just fine. But whatever emphasis is placed on calling games in difficult arenas, whatever mysterious grades are given out or "points of emphasis" are pushed onto the refs and by who - there is something very broken there in my opinion, and not just from a Wake perspective. For all I know the refs are excellent and it's league influence screwing things up. I think this year has been particularly awful as well.

Back