• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 29: Notre Dame @ LJVM - Saturday 7 pm - ACCN

Yeah here's the projected standing and bracket per Torvik with most teams having two games left:

1. Miami 15-5 (likely whoever wins the finale b/w Pitt and Miami gets the 1 seed)
2. Pitt 15-5 (likely whoever win the finale b/w Pitt and Miami gets the 1 seed)
3. UVA 15-5 (loses all tiebreakers to Pitt and Miami as they lost to both)
4. Clemson 14-6
5. Duke 13-7
6. State 12-8
7. UNC 11-9 (holds tiebreak over Wake after H2H split since they beat UVA - going down standings from top to break tie)
8. Wake 11-9 (loses tiebreak to UNC)
9. Cuse 10-10
10. BC 9-11
11. VT 8-12
12. FSU 7-13
13. GT 5-15
14. ND 3-17
15. Louisville 2-18

Tuesday:

2 PM - FSU v. GT
4:30 PM - BC v. Louisville
7 PM - VT v. Notre Dame

Wednesday

Noon - Wake v. Cuse
2:30 PM - Duke v. FSU/GT
7 PM - UNC v. BC/Louisville
9:30 PM - State v. VT/Notre Dame

Thursday

Noon - Miami v. Wake/Cuse
2:30 PM - Clemson v. Duke/FSU/GT
7 PM - Pitt v. UNC/BC/Louisville
9:30 PM - Virginia v. State/VT/Notre Dame

On those Thursday games, Duke would be favored against Clemson and UNC would be favored against Pitt

I'd just like to win the first round.

Is Cuse giving up? Blown out in three consecutive games.

I know the morale is down, but if they got the 7th seed, only having to beat BC & Pitt to get to semis, doesn’t seem impossible.
The alternative of beating Cuse & Miami seems much tougher.
IMO there is a good chance that UNC wins their last 2 so that would be moot.

I know the morale is down, but if they got the 7th seed, only having to beat BC & Pitt to get to semis, doesn’t seem impossible.
The alternative of beating Cuse & Miami seems much tougher.
If we had Monsanto I would be sitting here coming up with the dream path to the championship. But

Exactly. I am 52 years old and in my lifetime we have made 3 "runs" in the ACCT- 1978, 1995, 1996. We have only made the Semifinals 11 other times since 1971. My son is 17 and Wake has only made the Semifinals once in his lifetime and that is when he was 15 months old. There is no reason to think that we are going to make a run in the ACCT.
Same age here, no reason to get our hopes of a “run” in the ACC tourney. Put up or shut up is where I’m at, I have no expectations for us in Greensboro.

We legitimately have more football success this century than bball success. It’s why I get angry about people wanting us to be a bball school. It’s not happening.
If someone had told me in 1998 or 2000 that the next quarter century of Wake sports would see Wake turn into a football school I’d have thought they were crazy. Yet here we are.

If someone had told me in 1998 or 2000 that the next quarter century of Wake sports would see Wake turn into a football school I’d have thought they were crazy. Yet here we are.
It’s wild our fan base/alumni base cares more about football at this point. Agree that’s wild and completely unexpected, but definitely where we are.

The flip side is I still think we have a better shot at being relevant and winning at a national level in basketball than football. You just need a coach (which we have) and a couple extreme talents and you’re there. Football is still far more predictable and dominated by the same teams every year, largely following recruiting rankings that are largely static when you need 50 guys on an 85 man roster to contribute. As fun as we’ve been the last few years, it’s still a bigger leap to make to reach national relevance and sustain it.

I don’t know if that combination makes us a football or basketball school, but for far fewer resources we could be a successful ‘basketball school’ if that’s what we decided to be.

It was a decent win. Better ball movement on offense. Decent effort on defense. Everyone who played scored. I thought the two three's by Taylor woke the team up and gave them a lift. Deacs outscored ND 51-38 over the last 32 minutes, so they played some defense.

Appleby with 21points, 6 assists and 4 steals to lead the team. Bobi Klintman had 10 points, 12 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals. He also had a defensive rating of 77.6 with 10 stops in 35 minutes. That was an outstanding defensive effort. Not bad for his first start.

Right now my concern with the Syracuse matchup is that we are likely to settle for a ton of 3s and the outside shooting of this team fell off dramatically with the Monsanto injury. If we are off it could be a really ugly matchup.

It’s wild our fan base/alumni base cares more about football at this point. Agree that’s wild and completely unexpected, but definitely where we are.

The flip side is I still think we have a better shot at being relevant and winning at a national level in basketball than football. You just need a coach (which we have) and a couple extreme talents and you’re there. Football is still far more predictable and dominated by the same teams every year, largely following recruiting rankings that are largely static when you need 50 guys on an 85 man roster to contribute. As fun as we’ve been the last few years, it’s still a bigger leap to make to reach national relevance and sustain it.

I don’t know if that combination makes us a football or basketball school, but for far fewer resources we could be a successful ‘basketball school’ if that’s what we decided to be.
Lol be good at both

It’s not that wild. Sports fans and causals in general care more about football than basketball. Makes sense Wake fans do too especially considering the state of both programs since 2006.

Back