• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 30: BC Eagles @ LJVM - 7 pm Tuesday - ESPNU

Honestly, changing nothing other than getting FT from 40% to 70% and blocked shots from <1.5% to like 3% and he will have the position on lock.

He’s not a great rebounder, but he’s been solidly our best at 21.0%Drb%. Klintman (18%), Cam (16.6%), Monsanto (15.9%), Carr ( 15.1%) all decent. No one else really grabs their share, including Keller down with Appleby/Williamson at sub-10%.

Timmy needs to fly in and teach the bank shot.

Did I do that right?

How common is it for someone with as much playing time as Marsh to improve their block rate that much?

How common is it for someone with as much playing time as Marsh to improve their block rate that much?
It looks like not very common. Bradford is actually a decent example (2.0% rising each year to 5.6% this year), but one of the few I could find.

Most guys can improve their rebound rate a lot, but they tend to get blocks or not coming in. So maybe that’s not something to be expected.

The only things I would latch on to are a) 3.0% is still not that good for a C; b) he was better against our top competition than overall (1.6% against “A” opponents versus 1.1% overall); and c) leaping ability/size combo is there to play above the rim.

Since conference play started, Bradford's metrics are truly awful. I get that fans watch him belly-up Burns once or twice and it sticks in their heads, but he wasn't stopping him consistently. Hell Bacot got abused by Burns. Dude if fat but he's legit good - Duke got it done throwing Lively and Filipowski at him and he was still their 2nd highest scorer. You have to put athletic height on him

Under 30% from the line, scores at a rate more than a third worse than Marsh, doesn't finish oops anywhere near as well. Marsh is just better in every sense, and Marsh has enough flaws that we go small with Carr at the 5 whenever we can get away with it. Bradford is essentially 3rd string behind Marsh and not playing a 5. And it's the right spot for him, unfortunately.

The Bradford love is like the recent Lucas Taylor hype. It's great that he's looking decent at times with his newfound minutes. But the guy has made like 4 open shots created by others, hasn't rebounded at all, doesn't handle the ball very well and just jumped out of the way to give up a soul-crushing game-winner to BC. But still folks are like "why didn't he play more all year?!" Very grateful that Forbes is one of the rare old school guys who also believes in metrics.
Not saying LT should get major minutes, but ~2 min a game could have taken Appelby's usage from ~95% to ~90%. Who know what the payoff would be, fatigue-wise?

Marsh needs an injection of self confidence. He was the younger, smaller guy in family driveway games. (Seefamily portrait in recruiting thread). More bigger guys there than he sees in an ACC season. He doesn't realize that is the case and play like it. He needs to be convinced he is the biggest guy onthe court an play like it.

Pete Newell Big Man Camp for him, please.

The Pete Newell Big Man Camp ended 12 years ago

I've been kicking around the idea of starting The DeacsATS Big Man Camp...

From reading this board over the years, it seems like there would be a TON of demand for such an endeavor. I could even have Tim Duncan show up to teach players how to shoot that bank shot.

#PROFIT

I've been kicking around the idea of starting The DeacsATS Big Man Camp...

From reading this board over the years, it seems like there would be a TON of demand for such an endeavor. I could even have Tim Duncan show up to teach players how to shoot that bank shot.

#PROFIT
What's taking you so long? Pete Newell has been dead for 15 years.

No idea if accurate, but KenPom has him at 40.8% of the team's minutes this year (cutoff is 40%)... So assuming he plays ~15 minutes, he should be good.

And if he does it, I'll present him with a 15% off coupon for this year's inaugural DeacsATS Big Man Camp.

But I'm not sure what the NCAA requirement is for minutes or attempts in order to qualify. I don't think he's there.

Somebody months ago said he needed to play 40% of minutes this season. Wake has played 1210 minutes. Marsh has played 494 (40.8%) but he still hasn't showed up on the leaderboard. So it's probably a minimum FGA per game. If so, he's probably well short. He only has 87 attempts. The lowest FGA in the top 50 is #2 with 180.

I believe it's 40% of your team's minutes plus 2 FGA a game, but I'm not an NCAA official stats expert.

Sportsreference says you have to play 75% of your team's games (I'm guessing actual games, not minutes) and for total field goal percentage it's 5 attempts a game. For 2P% it's 2.5 attempts a game.

Marsh has 3.2 FGA per game. Whatever it is, if Marsh should be listed, Wake's sports information people need to be on it to get him listed.

Back