• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 30: BC Eagles @ LJVM - 7 pm Tuesday - ESPNU

Damn. Losing to BC on senior night. That's f**king brutal. I even feel bad for the senior walk-ons.

hildreth isn't a post player
He could be in D2. In any event, he could get his shot off on his backdown moves. He’s now a guard who scores the vast majority of his points on drives and back downs. That’s not a good fit in high major basketball with so much emphasis on 3 point shooting.

He could be in D2. In any event, he could get his shot off on his backdown moves. He’s now a guard who scores the vast majority of his points on drives and back downs. That’s not a good fit in high major basketball with so much emphasis on 3 point shooting.
He would be very valuable in a 3 guard system.

I mean of course he could be in D2 he's scored double figures in numerous acc games. I know you were eager to start trashing him after he had a couple of bad games so congratulations.

I mean of course he could be in D2 he's scored double figures in numerous acc games. I know you were eager to start trashing him after he had a couple of bad games so congratulations.

Imagine bagging on the one guy who plays his a$$ off consistently on both ends of the floor. He's been off a bit on O lately. But hard to fault his effort. Which is all you can ask of a guy

I still would like to know the answer for why Bradford is not playing more. When we played State, Marsh could put up no resistance against DJ Burns. The only stops we got were when Bradford was on him. Not every time, of course, but it seemed a heck of a lot better than Marsh did. But he only got a few minutes of playing time in the massacre. Felt the same way about our defense on Post against BC, had they made their 2-footers we would not have been that close. I still think we occasionally need to make use of Marsh, Keller, Carr and Bradford's 20 fouls and make the big guys earn it at the line, in the hack-a-shaq defense. It is agonizing to allow them to back us down to 1 foot away and then get an old-fashioned 3 point play.

this is not a good take...

yes, he only hits 30% of his 3pt attempts but he is not a chucker (54 on the year). I would expect his % will improve over the next few years, but he is already better than just about everyone else in all other aspects. he can shoot, #2 on the team in FG% (when removing the lob/dunkers) and you do need a guy that can drive to the lane. Without Cam the only one that can do that is Appleby...he is not returning.

Since conference play started, Bradford's metrics are truly awful. I get that fans watch him belly-up Burns once or twice and it sticks in their heads, but he wasn't stopping him consistently. Hell Bacot got abused by Burns. Dude if fat but he's legit good - Duke got it done throwing Lively and Filipowski at him and he was still their 2nd highest scorer. You have to put athletic height on him

Under 30% from the line, scores at a rate more than a third worse than Marsh, doesn't finish oops anywhere near as well. Marsh is just better in every sense, and Marsh has enough flaws that we go small with Carr at the 5 whenever we can get away with it. Bradford is essentially 3rd string behind Marsh and not playing a 5. And it's the right spot for him, unfortunately.

The Bradford love is like the recent Lucas Taylor hype. It's great that he's looking decent at times with his newfound minutes. But the guy has made like 4 open shots created by others, hasn't rebounded at all, doesn't handle the ball very well and just jumped out of the way to give up a soul-crushing game-winner to BC. But still folks are like "why didn't he play more all year?!" Very grateful that Forbes is one of the rare old school guys who also believes in metrics.

The "why didn't he* play more all year?" question is more a question about which guys can contribute enough to get a few minutes early so those growing pains happen early in the season rather than now.

* insert any young/inexperienced player

I have not seen a lot of Bradford love. He started and played a lot against UNC and then played 7 minutes combined over the next 5 games. It made sense to go small in some of those games. I am not even arguing he should have played more, but I understand why there would be questions.

Why give Bradford minutes when he won't be here next year(I'm assuming he's been asked to transfer) and you aren't making the tournament?

That and Marsh is much better. I'm surprised to see people so down on him.... Next year he's going to have some post moves, mid range jumper and be a beast. Mark it down

Why are we not playing Bradford anymore?

And why was LT guarding Ashton Langford at the end? Sigh.
LT bit on the pump fake and left his feet. Did not hold his ground. But, he's not been playing in games AT ALL for weeks, so some of that is in-game/live experience.

His lack of in-game experience KILLED us on the final key play of the game, and along with Damari's injury effectively ended our hoops season. Beating Syracuse would be nice, since that's a bunch of asshats in one building, but I am not counting on that.

Vacuous, drafty dome means a lot of bricks by visiting teams --- making their zone even more effective.

Why give Bradford minutes when he won't be here next year(I'm assuming he's been asked to transfer) and you aren't making the tournament?

That and Marsh is much better. I'm surprised to see people so down on him.... Next year he's going to have some post moves, mid range jumper and be a beast. Mark it down
Seems like Marsh would develop a jump hook in the lane, but I'd take a baseline jumper on the pick and pop, too.

Marsh needs an injection of self confidence. He was the younger, smaller guy in family driveway games. (Seefamily portrait in recruiting thread). More bigger guys there than he sees in an ACC season. He doesn't realize that is the case and play like it. He needs to be convinced he is the biggest guy onthe court an play like it.

Pete Newell Big Man Camp for him, please.

Seems like Marsh would develop a jump hook in the lane, but I'd take a baseline jumper on the pick and pop, too.
Even if he doesn't, just a hook shot and a
power dribble and strong take up from an entry pass to the post would be huge and I expect the staff to work on that part of his game all summer

Our offense was great with Marsh. It would be wonderful for him to improve in those respects, especially if we do not get a good replacement for Ty. Defense is what is needed though.

Back