• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 31: Clemson - Saturday - 6 pm ACCN

Pilchard

Reaction score
After a deflating loss to GT, our Deacs play the regular season finale on Saturday against Clemson. Guessing March 8 is the latest that WF Men's basketball has ever played its first game against a conference opponent. Maybe, WF can break that record next season when the ACC expands to a jazillion teams. Nothing says ACC like playing SMU on March 10 in Texas.

Clemson's season: #23 21-9 (11-8).

Just not feeling the urge to a deep dive into Clemson. But here are some facts:

• Over the first 9 games (month) of the season, Clemson went 9-0 was the #19 according to Torvik
  • Over the next 8 games (another month+), Clemson went 3-5 and was the #67 team according to Torvik
  • Over its last 13 games (the last six+ weeks), Clemson went 9-4 and was the #22 team according to Torvik
  • Clemson has road wins at Alabama and at UNC. No team has two better road wins than that. Clemson was also jobbed of a win at Duke on a questionable foul call with under 2 seconds left. So, Clemson has played some A level road games.
  • OTOH, Clemson has losses to #96 Miami, #50 VT, #125 GT (at home), #67 UVA (at home), #78 NC State (at home) and at #127 ND. Lots of similar losses to WF, but WF played a lame OOC schedule, while Clemson played a strong one, and Clemson has a bellweather road win at UNC. So, Clemson is playing for NCAAT seeding, and WF is playing to salvage a season that it pissed away.
This Tiger team can beat or lose to anyone. PJ Hall is a beast. It's fun watching him play.

Brownell's Ownage of WF

Brad Brownell started coaching Clemson during the 2010-11 season. His Clemson teams are 15-3 against WF (before Brownell, Clemson was 46-83 all-time against WF). He is 3-1 against Steve Forbes, but Forbes won the last game between the two -- a 87-77 WF win in January 2023 (Carr had 18 points and 11 boards; Hildreth had 17 points and 10 board; Monsanto had 17 points).

The Projection:

KP projects a 77-74 WF win; Torvik 76-73 WF. These teams are very similar analytically; for those that subscribe to KP, take a look; the numbers of these two teams in ACC games are crazy close. WF rates the edge in this matchup because of the homecourt.

In ACC games, KP rates Clemson as the #2 ACC offensive team (WF is #3), and Clemson as the #6 defensive team (WF is #5). Clemson scores a lot of its points from the foul-line (#4 in the ACC in % of points from the line) and WF has been foul heavy in ACC play (#10 in the conference in opponents points from the line). WF is the better three point shooting team. Clemson is tough to score on inside.

Really like the under if the total is near the KP projection of 151. Clemson has slowed its tempo over the last weeks, and WF offense is limited (and defense is improved) without Monsanto. Think this game will be a slow grind. Lean in favor of a narrow WF win on a late basket.

For ACCT seeding, there are a ton of possible permutations because so many ACC teams are bunched between 9-10 and 11-8 (WF is 10-9), but I believe that if WF wins and Pitt beats NC State at home, WF would be the ACCT #5 seed as the Deacs would take the tiebreaker over the other 11-9 ACC teams -- Cuse and Clemson. A WF loss, and the Deacs could be tied with VT, NC State and FSU for the 8 through 10 seeds.

200w.gif

Embarrassing that Pitt is likely to finish the ACC regular season alone in 4th place. Shame on Forbes and Brownell (and kudos to Capel) for crapping the bed against so many mediocre ACC opponents.

Bottom line is that WF probably wins this game to just tease us again and to make the GT loss (and every other recent loss) all the more painful.

Last edited:
I predicted comfortable wins the last three games.

Therefore, I shall predict a blowout loss this game.

Let's see if this works in reverse.

I think we win by 30. Collapse in the second half in the first round of the ACCT.

Make a run in the NIT. That's how i am seeing this play out.

Last edited:
If we shoot like we usually do at home we should win easily. There aren't many lower level tickets left so it should be a good crowd unless fans just don't show up. I will predict we win a tight one 73-68. We will feel better for a couple of days.

Last edited:
If we lose to Clemson, don’t we risk being left out of the NIT? I recollect that the top four NIT seeds are the first four out of the NCAAs, but I lost track of how many other major conference bids are available. I know most fans will say they don’t care, but Forbes, Currie , coaches , etc would value that bid .

If we lose to Clemson, don’t we risk being left out of the NIT? I recollect that the top four NIT seeds are the first four out of the NCAAs, but I lost track of how many other major conference bids are available. I know most fans will say they don’t care, but Forbes, Currie , coaches , etc would value that bid .
Someone else posted this, but there is a new format for the NIT, and the top two teams from the six power conferences (which includes the ACC) in the NET who don't make the tournament get bids and will host first round games. WF is currently 4th in the ACC in the NET, behind UNC, Duke and Clemson. So, even if only those three get NCAAT bids (UVA will probably get an NCAA invite too). WF would have to drop behind two more ACC teams in the NET to not get an NIT bid. That is unlikely. Further, after the top 12, the top 20 remaining teams get NIT bids, and if the NET is used for that, WF will definitely get an NIT bid.

The team doesn't appear to be playing well enough for this to happen, but if they are to beat Clemson, GT (or whomever), and Pitt, they very likely sneak into the field. If ultimately they are sent to the NIT, I would be curious to see if Sallis opts out to play. In the past that has seemed to be a thing for future NBA players sort of like the numerous players opting out of bowl games.

Really? I guess I don't follow the NIT enough to realize that.

The team doesn't appear to be playing well enough for this to happen, but if they are to beat Clemson, GT (or whomever), and Pitt, they very likely sneak into the field. If ultimately they are sent to the NIT, I would be curious to see if Sallis opts out to play. In the past that has seemed to be a thing for future NBA players sort of like the numerous players opting out of bowl games.
I agree. Don't want to even consider NCAAT options after the GT debacle, but WF would pop back in the NCAAT discussion with a win over Clemson, a win in the 5/12 game and then another win in the 4/5 game (over Pitt). TBH, that seems like an impossibility right about now, given the last three performances, but should WF win on Saturday, bubble talk will rise again.

"This Tiger team can beat or lose to anyone." Very true. I expect this game to come down to the wire.

If we shoot like we usually do at home we should win easily. There aren't many lower level tickets left so it should be a good crowd unless fans just don't show up. I will predict we win a tight one 73-68. We will feel better for a couple of days.
I will be one of the ones not showing up. UFC 299 is too stacked to miss any of it

I agree. Don't want to even consider NCAAT options after the GT debacle, but WF would pop back in the NCAAT discussion with a win over Clemson, a win in the 5/12 game and then another win in the 4/5 game (over Pitt). TBH, that seems like an impossibility right about now, given the last three performances, but should WF win on Saturday, bubble talk will rise again.
I am not even sure that 100% gets us in, I feel like we would need one more win to feel safe. It's all a long shot right now but win Saturday and get things rolling....maybe lol.

Back