• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 31: NC State @ LJVM - 9 pm Wednesday - Bally Sports

I've seen *a lot* of Wake basketball in my time, and this team is as fun and enjoyable as any. I love the camaraderie and the unity. Proud to be a Deacon.

I will save my Whitt transferring speak until after the tournament

What a great night to be at the Joel. It continues to occur to me that the way that Coach Forbes and the players talk about each other is remarkably similar to the way former State players from various documentaries talk about the relationships they had with Jim Valvano. Teams that believe in one another can be very, very dangerous come tournament time.

Crusty af this morning. Don't care. Enjoyed the game a lot.

The second half of of this game and the @BC football game when we dominated to secure the ACC Championship berth were *chefs kiss*. Two great regular-season finales where I soaked in every minute of it lol.

I've seen *a lot* of Wake basketball in my time, and this team is as fun and enjoyable as any. I love the camaraderie and the unity. Proud to be a Deacon.

This. I still cringe sometimes when players loft up shots only to be reminded this team can actually make them. It's been so long. Way too long. And they obviously care about each other.

God I love this team, they are so much fun to watch. I'm very sad that was their last game at the Joel. Steve has done one hell of a job this year, love that guy.

Am I right that we have only won 2 ACC games since the Harvey Hale show?

If you even consider Tuesday wins in the ACCT as "wins"

correct, two pitiful preliminary games that nobody cared about

Tuesdays are the best days.

It just astounds me that we have been that bad for that long. We have never been a good postseason program relative to our regular season performance, but that is exceptionally horrific. I suspect that will change in a big way, starting this year.

Forbes is an even better Tourney coach than the regular season.

We're in for a fun ride! :dancindeac:

Never before for me has a statistic been this simultaneously shocking and completely expected.

And remember that includes Dino going 0-3 with multiple NBA players as a higher seed including losing as a 5 seed to 12 seed Miami by 21 points.

Forbes is an even better Tourney coach than the regular season.

We're in for a fun ride! :dancindeac:

I tend to think coaches who exhibit great trust and honesty with their players probably do tend to do better. Obviously that won't happen every year but over time I think that approach is better. Also, one thing that is really evident with Forbes is how he gets it is horses for courses with players. What player A needs from the coach is maybe slightly different than what player B needs in terms of communication style etc. He really seems to get that in spades the way he talks about each guy's personality in these pressers. That creates more trust and more trust creates more confidence IMO.

One final note on him. I read an interview with Holloway where he talked about each school he's considering. He specifically referenced how Forbes tells him not only what he is great at but what he needs to work on to be better and how that is uncommon in his experience as a recruit. You can see that too in Forbes in these post game press conferences as he talks about individual guys.

I tend to think coaches who exhibit great trust and honesty with their players probably do tend to do better. Obviously that won't happen every year but over time I think that approach is better. Also, one thing that is really evident with Forbes is how he gets it is horses for courses with players. What player A needs from the coach is maybe slightly different than what player B needs in terms of communication style etc. He really seems to get that in spades the way he talks about each guy's personality in these pressers. That creates more trust and more trust creates more confidence IMO.

One final note on him. I read an interview with Holloway where he talked about each school he's considering. He specifically referenced how Forbes tells him not only what he is great at but what he needs to work on to be better and how that is uncommon in his experience as a recruit. You can see that too in Forbes in these post game press conferences as he talks about individual guys.

Forbes would be the exact kind of coach I want to play for. Recruits and families will see him the same way. There is a reason he has special relationships with guys like Zay and Daivien - and he has gotten the most out of their ability. You can't fake that.

His folksy style is a bit of a throwback and a perfect fit for WF.

Scheyer is a complete stiff - he will have to sell Duke, not himself. K could sell himself first, then Duke. Totally different pitch. Same with Davis, to a lesser extent.

Back