• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 31: NC State @ LJVM - 9 pm Wednesday - Bally Sports

God I love this team, they are so much fun to watch. I'm very sad that was their last game at the Joel. Steve has done one hell of a job this year, love that guy.

Hope that statement holds out to be accurate.

I tend to think coaches who exhibit great trust and honesty with their players probably do tend to do better. Obviously that won't happen every year but over time I think that approach is better. Also, one thing that is really evident with Forbes is how he gets it is horses for courses with players. What player A needs from the coach is maybe slightly different than what player B needs in terms of communication style etc. He really seems to get that in spades the way he talks about each guy's personality in these pressers. That creates more trust and more trust creates more confidence IMO.

One final note on him. I read an interview with Holloway where he talked about each school he's considering. He specifically referenced how Forbes tells him not only what he is great at but what he needs to work on to be better and how that is uncommon in his experience as a recruit. You can see that too in Forbes in these post game press conferences as he talks about individual guys.

that's a great snapshot as to what differentiates Forbes from so many others. Very down to earth and like Clawson very cerebral in how he can break down a game and players in an analytical way so he can really speak to speak to strengths/weaknesses. He did the same thing on McCray in Pack presser talking about all of his positive qualities, but got a glimpse to why he doesn't get much PT as he plays with the ball away from his body and not protecting ball as believe he said that doesn't work in a Wake practice much less ACC play (or something to that effect).

Just so refreshing to know you have a great person but also a really sharp individual who knows the game. He may not quote Melville or Thoreau, but he is just as quick on his feet with responses.

that's a great snapshot as to what differentiates Forbes from so many others. Very down to earth and like Clawson very cerebral in how he can break down a game and players in an analytical way so he can really speak to speak to strengths/weaknesses. He did the same thing on McCray in Pack presser talking about all of his positive qualities, but got a glimpse to why he doesn't get much PT as he plays with the ball away from his body and not protecting ball as believe he said that doesn't work in a Wake practice much less ACC play (or something to that effect).

Just so refreshing to know you have a great person but also a really sharp individual who knows the game. He may not quote Melville or Thoreau, but he is just as quick on his feet with responses.

Prosser was quick on his feet with jokes, quotes, and historical references to avoid the real talk about players and answers to tough questions about losing.

Well...well...well... look who is suddenly a hoops fan again, folks!!!

giphy.gif

Three different players (mucius and Williamson and Walton) explicitly said in their postgame interviews that coming to Wake (or staying, in Mucius's case) was among the best decisions they've made in their entire lives.

I was looking down at something else and only saw the end of this play with Jake dunking it live, that pass. Wow.

How is there no footage/twitter posts of the putback by McCray yet?

No idea. You can watch it on the replay on WatchESPN. I'm disappointed no one has a better camera angle.

No idea. You can watch it on the replay on WatchESPN. I'm disappointed no one has a better camera angle.

yeah and they never showed a replay on the broadcast. also on Alondes' dunk they kept showing the behind the backboard cam but I wanted my a replay of the game broadcast angle because my wife was looking at her phone at the time and I wanted her to see how far back he reached. the Bally app you can't rewind.

McCray's instagram stories has about 50 replays of it -- mostly of the same tv angle, but there is one from the opposite corner of the court from a fan.

Yeah, no coach is perfect. But I really do love these things about Forbes. It's just a massive blast of fresh air. I didn't even get mad last night when he said he loves Coach K. I feel like Odom was terrific in standing behind his players publicly and in taking recruits who were good but not great and getting a lot out of them. I think Prosser was great behind the scenes with the guys and obviously really elevated recruiting high profile players bc he played such an entertaining brand of ball and was so likable in the public eye. To me so far Forbes seems to combine a bit of both those guys and just comes across as so open and earnest in how he approaches both players and the public. He adds that element of being able to be publicly critical without throwing any individual under the bus. Just exudes this aura of confidence and being able to explain when things go bad why they go bad.

Will be interested to see how that translates in recruiting. No arguing he has an eye for talent and getting them towards their ceilings individually and collectively after watching the team this year. Will be interesting to see how this really earnest personality plays when he wants recruits who are more coveted by a lot of other power 5s.

Man, they really cut the quality of that gif upon uploading huh.

McCray's instagram stories has about 50 replays of it -- mostly of the same tv angle, but there is one from the opposite corner of the court from a fan.

Link? I don't see it.

Forbes also, said last night, he thinks this team could win the ACCT and some games in the NCAAT.

Not sure how many of our past coaches would utter these words in public.

Back