• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 35: Deacs @ A&M -- Wednesday 7 pm - ESPN 2

I hope Coach Forbes and the players who will return for 2022-23 won't forget the last 45 days of 2022. Some of you fans just said you will. Frankly, that's part of what's wrong with us. When we start to achieve some success we accept failure because we really don't believe in ourselves. We're really still LOWF in spite of a 25 win season. Our best wins of the season were against UVA when they were crap, UNC when they were crap, FSU when they were crap, Pitt when they were crap, Louisville and NC State when they were crap. Add to that a win and a bad loss to a bad Syracuse team, a terrible loss to a disabled Clemson team and a bad loss to BC when it really counted. The best win we probably had all season was at VT, and there's no explanation except that they weren't the team that won the ACC Tournament. We couldn't beat Duke, Miami, or pretty much any other decent team when we "HAD TO". Coach Forbes never solved why that happened. The players never did either. It's a bad taste that must linger and fuel us next season if we're really going to improve the program. What people should forget is 25 wins. It's the least important stat in 2022-23. It will be great to have brand new hope in Nov.

I hope Coach Forbes and the players who will return for 2022-23 won't forget the last 45 days of 2022. Some of you fans just said you will. Frankly, that's part of what's wrong with us. When we start to achieve some success we accept failure because we really don't believe in ourselves. We're really still LOWF in spite of a 25 win season. Our best wins of the season were against UVA when they were crap, UNC when they were crap, FSU when they were crap, Pitt when they were crap, Louisville and NC State when they were crap. Add to that a win and a bad loss to a bad Syracuse team, a terrible loss to a disabled Clemson team and a bad loss to BC when it really counted. The best win we probably had all season was at VT, and there's no explanation except that they weren't the team that won the ACC Tournament. We couldn't beat Duke, Miami, or pretty much any other decent team when we "HAD TO". Coach Forbes never solved why that happened. The players never did either. It's a bad taste that must linger and fuel us next season if we're really going to improve the program. What people should forget is 25 wins. It's the least important stat in 2022-23. It will be great to have brand new hope in Nov.

parody?

Some people will always see the glass as half empty rather than half full.

So what’s the roster looking like for next season, are we going to be better or worse?

Getting a little tipsy for the game huh? Been there, can respect.

Twenty words or less will help your point on a message board.

No. It wasn’t. The dude needs a fucking short leash! Someone better humble him before next year.

We’ve had enough humble players. I’m fine with him being cocky if he can continue to back it up. I’ll take that over smiling while we lose and turn over the ball again and again.

That said, this was a shitty end to a fairly successful season in light of the circumstances coming in. We lost playing the game we played all season.

For all the terrible shooting, we really lost that game because of TOs - we had 20+ and they had 14 steals.

We aren't going to win many games when Williamson goes 0-6 and doesn't score and LaRavia sits on the bench in foul trouble and only scores 6 late, meaningless points. Kudos to Walton for playing hard and getting a double-double. We got back in the game - we had the lead down to 9/10 for a while with some chances to cut further into it but then A&M made a few 3s and pushed it back out and we were done...

You obviously can't blame a beat down like that on the officials but I will say that they, at a minimum, did us no favors.

For all the terrible shooting, we really lost that game because of TOs - we had 20+ and they had 14 steals.

We aren't going to win many games when Williamson goes 0-6 and doesn't score and LaRavia sits on the bench in foul trouble and only scores 6 late, meaningless points. Kudos to Walton for playing hard and getting a double-double. We got back in the game - we had the lead down to 9/10 for a while with some chances to cut further into it but then A&M made a few 3s and pushed it back out and we were done...

You obviously can't blame a beat down like that on the officials but I will say that they, at a minimum, did us no favors.

Without seeing the stats (who the hell would want to), I thought it must have been 30. Just inexcusable.

Last edited:
I'm continually disappointed in Forbes ability to get the team ready for a big game. That has to improve.

Losing Williams is certainly not addition through subtraction but in most of our losses his careless turnovers were killer. He took over a few games like he was the ACC POY but too often in the last month he got in foul trouble or lacked focus.

Assuming that Laravia comes back, biggest weakness is we have don't have a point guard. Williamson really fell off in February and March. You can't have your starting point guard average 1 assist in 30 minutes. Whitt can't play at this level. Seemed like Forbes was giving Hildreth quite a few minutes during the last month at point guard, but he's not a starting point guard.

Until next year.

felt like we were one game away all year from REALLY being good; these losses always game right when we were on the cusp of pushing deep into the top 25:

Nov 27 - LSU - we were 6-0 going into that game
Dec 29 - @ Louisville - 11-1 going into that game and 1-0 in the ACC
Jan 12 - Duke - 13-3 going into that game with big back to back wins over FSU and Syracuse; getting dook @ home w/out K coaching seemed like a great opportunity
Jan 29 - @ Syracuase - 17-4 going into that game... just shit the bed in a big ACC road game
Feb 12 - @ Miami - 20-5 going into that game.... crushing home loss and likely cost us a double bye in the ACCT
Feb 23 - @ Clemson - 21-7 - definitely cost us a double bye and just a stupid game to lose
Mar 9 - BC in ACCT - cost us the NCAAT
Mar 23 - ass whooping by TAMU

Walking backwards through the big/clutch games end of season - A&M, BC in the ACC tourney, the 2 point loss to Duke at home... Daivien was 1 for 19 from the floor in 85 minutes of playing time combined and 50% from the line.

It's one thing to run hot and cold, but that's just brutal. Hard to explain.

Forbes will ring in a few new faces from the portal. My guess would be 4 of them. A true PG, a scoring wing, and 2 wings.

We peaked with the UNC/BC 2 game set. The concern was a let down for the BC game, but I don't think we played a complete game after those two.

The first half was the 'bad' Wake offense meeting a motivated team focused on defense. Hard to explain, but if no one is hitting shots (when they were not turning it over) it's not going to end well.

I'm sure A&M saw us as a chance to really show they belonged in the NCAAT and back up their coaches rant.

Walking backwards through the big/clutch games end of season - A&M, BC in the ACC tourney, the 2 point loss to Duke at home... Daivien was 1 for 19 from the floor in 85 minutes of playing time combined and 50% from the line.

It's one thing to run hot and cold, but that's just brutal. Hard to explain.

And the problem is he really doesn't bring much else to the table, when he's not scoring. He struggles on the defensive end and averages a whopping one assist a game. I'm cool if he comes back for another season, but I personally think his best role would be first guard off of the bench. If he heats up, let him go off for a while. If not, rely on more consistent starters.

Like others have said, we need at least 2 ballhandlers on the roster.

PG by committee doesn’t work against pressure, regardless of how slick our passing is 1-5.

Tonight's culprit was the same as in six of the ten Deacon losses, a lack of quickness. Combine quickness and pressure defense in an opponent with Wake's inability to hit shots and the Deacs can look inept.

Tough way to end the season, the best since 2008-09. The Deacons probably got the most out of what they had. They lacked the quickness and sure hands to compete for championships. If their shooting ability was off they were in trouble. They had enough to win 25 games, entertain the fans and restore hope for the future. Considering the lack of quality performance over the past 11 seasons, fun and hope is better than most of us imagined.

Hope Forbes can find two quick, surehanded perimeter players. Need one or both to run the point.

Last edited:
Back