• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 6: Charleston Southern @ WF; 1pm Friday - ACCN+

I mean, kudos to you for assuming Wake will be conservative. More important might be your opinion on what should happen. Or you can continue to appear above it all because Wake generally waits for years after the die is cast to make a decision.
my opinion is that you are being a reactionary message board poster and it wouldn't make any sense to fire Forbes after this year.

That is a valid point, but of course in typical Wake bball fashion, the program arguably ended up worse off by him staying.

Yep. That was the last opportunity to hire a coach in the old old system.

In some ways Wake is still dealing with the consequences of Skip's untimely death. The hiring of Dino, the firing of Dino (probably one year too early). Hiring Bz. Firing Bz without an apparent better replacement ready. Manning hire. 10 years of irrelevance. Kids being recruited today have little to no memories of seeing Wake Forest be a good basket team. It's a slow climb from a deep hole.

my opinion is that you are being a reactionary message board poster and it wouldn't make any sense to fire Forbes after this year.
Reactionary? It’s been 4 years. That’s far longer than most P5/P6 programs give someone who only has an early flame out NIT appearance.

Your opinion is that 4 years is not enough time for a coach to get a program to the tournament? Especially in a world where he essentially recruits a new team each year?

Because he rudely screwed us by passing away...

Don’t be a troll. The Wake job was a better job when he passed up Pitt than it was when he passed away. The program was in a better position. It was before everybody and their grandma was in a major conference.

Ok so I was a little off, but it would still be relatively normal for a coach to be fired after year 4. I think most would agree to give Forbes one more year and that would be about average. Here is the best analysis that I could find: https://watchstadium.com/comparing-...re-fired-resigned-or-upgraded-05-02-2019/amp/
The article you linked showed an average of 6.9 years tenure for fired coaches. Why should Forbes get less than that average? Particularly when his first two seasons at Wake were impacted by Covid restrictions? Those Covid restrictions were something never seen in the history of the NCAA.

The article you linked showed an average of 6.9 years tenure for fired coaches. Why should Forbes get less than that average? Particularly when his first two seasons at Wake were impacted by Covid restrictions? Those Covid restrictions were something never seen in the history of the NCAA.
If you keep reading it talks about one of those being a huge outlier at a 24 year tenure. Average tenure of P6 fired coaches was 5.3 years.

If we don’t get to the tourney next year (5) you want to keep him 2 more years after that?

If you keep reading it talks about one of those being a huge outlier at a 24 year tenure. Average tenure of P6 fired coaches was 5.3 years.
P5 coaches average was 5.3. That number was impacted greatly by the short timer at Baylor (Bryce Drew). Removing Phil Martelli's 24 years at St. Joseph's dropped the overall average to 6.3.

Last edited:
P5 coaches average was 5.3. Removing Phil Martelli's 24 years at St. Joseph's dropped the overall average to 6.3.
Actually i miscounted. They included the AAC so they are giving a P7 at a 5.3 average.

Don’t be a troll. The Wake job was a better job when he passed up Pitt than it was when he passed away. The program was in a better position. It was before everybody and their grandma was in a major conference.
What the hell are you talking about? I was making a small, dark joke that yes, our program did end up worse because we lost our coach in a sudden, sad way that we could not have anticipated. Our program did go on a downward swing with Skip but I think we were getting ready to swing back up - that is shown by the success that Dino had with his players.

Back