• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 6: Charleston Southern @ WF; 1pm Friday - ACCN+

Forbes has had to navigate Covid and NIL after inheriting a program that had fallen off of a cliff in a conference that has fallen off as well. I think he’s an excellent coach and his seat should not be warm.
Every other coach in the country had to also deal with those first two things. Every other coach in the ACC is also dealing with the stature of the conference.

Forbes has had to navigate Covid and NIL after inheriting a program that had fallen off of a cliff in a conference that has fallen off as well. I think he’s an excellent coach and his seat should not be warm.
I like Forbes and I’m not on the fire him train just yet but honest question- what evidence do you have that he is an “excellent coach” here at Wake.

I think his record prior to Wake speaks for itself. I think we would do very well to make sure he has the support and re$ource$ that he needs to compete with ACC programs.

Which ACC coaches is Forbes clearly better than?

Or to ask it another way, which ACC team would take Forbes over their current coach?

I think his record prior to Wake speaks for itself. I think we would do very well to make sure he has the support and re$ource$ that he needs to compete with ACC programs.
You can out-talent people in the SoCon. You don’t have to be a good coach if you can be a good recruiter. We have good players now but it’s not the SoCon.

I believe this position undersells the Bzdelikian/Manningan apocalypse he inherited. That alone buys him extra time.

Yeah. He had to piece a team together that first year and has basically had to do so since. Only this year leading next are we starting to get some continuity on the roster.

You can out-talent people in the SoCon. You don’t have to be a good coach if you can be a good recruiter. We have good players now but it’s not the SoCon.
This is not correct. I went to a mid-major and coaching matters. When I was there, Ball State had an NBA player on its roster and a couple of fringe guys but couldn’t make the NCAAT because the coaching was just awful.

This is not correct. I went to a mid-major and coaching matters. When I was there, Ball State had an NBA player on its roster and a couple of fringe guys but couldn’t make the NCAAT because the coaching was just awful.

You just described the 2021-22 Wake team. Not that LaRavia is Bonzi Wells.

You just described the 2021-22 Wake team. Not that LaRavia is Bonzi Wells.
You are correct. My NBA guy was Theron Smith. Ball State beat Kansas and UCLA in Maui but did not make the field of 64. It was a hard year to watch.

My biggest takeaway from today is that Clark may have passed (4 Trillion) Canka on the depth chart.

Canka now at 22 minutes with zero points, rebounds, assists, steals, or blocks on the season and a negative +\- in every game he’s appeared in. He has committed 2 fouls and 1 turnover in that time, saving him from the true trillion box score.

I just finished watching the game. I figure you folks have covered most everything but I want to add my two cents.

Aaron Clark entered his first game of the season at 14:59 in the second half. The Deacons trailed Charleston Southern 39-34. He made his exit at 7:20. The Deacs led 49-43. Four Charleston points in eight minutes. The box score showed he forced two turnovers. The first was a stolen pass and the second was a blocked shot on a Charleston lay up that was secured by a teammate. He took defense seriously. His energy and effort were contagious. He stayed in front of his man. That's +11 in eight minutes and a lead the Deacs never surrendered. That's why Forbes kept him on the floor.

I believe we will see more of Aaron Clark in the near future.

I just finished watching the game. I figure you folks have covered most everything but I want to add my two cents.

Aaron Clark entered his first game of the season at 14:59 in the second half. The Deacons trailed Charleston Southern 39-34. He made his exit at 7:20. The Deacs led 49-43. Four Charleston points in eight minutes. The box score showed he forced two turnovers. The first was a stolen pass and the second was a blocked shot on a Charleston lay up that was secured by a teammate. He took defense seriously. His energy and effort were contagious. He stayed in front of his man. That's +11 in eight minutes and a lead the Deacs never surrendered. That's why Forbes kept him on the floor.

I believe we will see more of Aaron Clark in the near future.

Good size on the wing, and played defense.

The team lacks an interior athlete. Until they get that, the inside game is going to be weak.

As others have indicated, it is really Forbes 3rd year as he came in at a very ackward time and had a team of literally no talent whatsoever in his first covid season.

Since then he is 23-17 in the ACC. Since the last two coaches combined to go 47-131, the idea that he would be on the hot seat after 2 full seasons is funny. I think you look back at the history of this league and there have been very few coaches let go with that kind of improvement in conference play.

The recruiting dynamic has changed with NIL. Since it seems that we have been the bridesmaid for several recuits and just have now gotten our NIL game really established, shouldn't he have the opporunity to see how he can operate in an enviorment where he can least be competitive.

Shouldn't he be given the opprtunity with Efton Reid? Again this is a coach that went 23-17 in the ACC when the last two coaches went 47-131. Being eager to can him seems incredibly short-sighted to me.

Back