• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 7: Hampton Pirates - Saturday 12:30 pm - ACCN

Yeah, and he’s getting rotation minutes on a playoff team in the NBA.

I’ll be on the lookout to see how he develops (and TBF he was sick when I saw him live vs. SCSU), but at the same stage in both players’ development, there’s just no way. Jake was a special talent. We’ll see if we can say the same about Carr in a couple years.
To be fair, you're the one who has made this comparison. I only said Carr was the most fundamentally sound big man we've had in a decade. Being fundamental is only one component of a basketball player's total output.

To be fair, you're the one who has made this comparison. I only said Carr was the most fundamentally sound big man we've had in a decade. Being fundamental is only one component of a basketball player's total output.

If you have a flexible definition of fundamentally sound, then I suppose it’s easy to overlook NBA players like Jake LaRavia and John Collins.

I don’t have access to Synergy anymore, but I’d be shocked if even a third of Carr’s possessions qualify as post ups. I’ve seen Keller work more fluidly in the pick-and-roll, and Carr’s shooting mechanics are incredibly slow. Carr is fine, but I think his numbers at Delaware are pretty indicative of what we’ll get from him this year.

Wake's going to the tourney this year. More talent on this team than people are realizing. And it's a deep team. We haven't this much good height in years. Carr, in particular, is probably the most fundamentally big man we've had in a decade.

Here’s your original quote. I disagree with your first and fourth sentences in particular. If “fundamentally (sound)” is related to “efficient” I also disagree strongly with the fifth sentence.

But hey, I hope your first sentence is correct.

If you have a flexible definition of fundamentally sound, then I suppose it’s easy to overlook NBA players like Jake LaRavia and John Collins.

I don’t have access to Synergy anymore, but I’d be shocked if even a third of Carr’s possessions qualify as post ups. I’ve seen Keller work more fluidly in the pick-and-roll, and Carr’s shooting mechanics are incredibly slow. Carr is fine, but I think his numbers at Delaware are pretty indicative of what we’ll get from him this year.
Oh come on. John Collins was a gifted scorer but his defense was abysmal. That counts for fundamentals.

I've made many indefensible takes on here. It's usually a solid move to just take the L--for instance, Aaron Rountree will not be a future hall of famer--and just enjoy the season.

NC State beats Dayton and almost beats Kansas. I think State has little chance of making the tournament but at this point much better than us. They have a first round pick at guard which could help them down the stretch.

ACC has three really good teams right now, UVA, Duke and UNC. ACC has five really bad teams right now, UL, BC, FSU, GT and Cuse. State, Wake, Miami, VT and ND are the middle. Of the middle 5 two will move up and 3 will fall to the bottom. At this point it’s all just an opinion but ACC gets 5 maybe 6 teams in. Weak schedules and early losses will bury many of our teams by mid December.
This is bold.

pretty dumb debate

wgaf if Carr is more fundamental than Collins and Laravia because he isn't close to being better than those guys.

tbh, Carr is a good piece to have and I'm glad Forbes was able to land him.

I'm trying to figure out what needs to happen for you to say, "See!?!?!? I told you Carr was more fundamentally sound than LaRavia!" But hey, we have hope.

I'm trying to figure out what needs to happen for you to say, "See!?!?!? I told you Carr was more fundamentally sound than LaRavia!" But hey, we have hope.
fundamentals, man

fundamentals

I posted a controversial hot take. I can take the flak. Let's see how it plays out.
yeah, hot takes are the grist of the message board mill

i'm pumped to see how it turns out tbh bc if you're right it's gonna be a special season

Yea, I mean LaRavia is getting actual rotation minutes for a 50-win team and basically has no weaknesses from an offensive skill set standpoint. From what I’ve watched of us so far this year, Carr ain’t him.

Doesn’t mean Carr is bad or wasn’t a great transfer pickup (he was!). But I’m still “wait and see” on whether this year’s team can match the success of last year’s team.

Last edited:
Well, we all knew, in November 2021, that Jake would be a 1st round NBA pick in the spring. :rolleyes:

Well, we all knew, in November 2021, that Jake would be a 1st round NBA pick in the spring. :rolleyes:

Jake was averaging 15.5 points, 5.5 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 2.5 steals, and 0.6 blocks per game on 70% 2FG and 53% 3FG in November.

Roll your eyes all you want, man. LOL

ETA: You won’t find many better debuts in Wake Forest history. Look for yourself if you don’t believe me.

I didn’t call first round. I did text a friend and fellow WF grad that Jake would be leaving for the NBA when he won the game vs Northwestern.

If Carr can score in double figures and average 7+ rebounds this year he will be an asset. He is neither the scorer or passer Jake was, but if he can rebound consistently and play defense he be valuable. A key for Andrew is playing the four rather than the five.

At this point, the key to this team is the performance and production at the five. If Marsh, Bradford and Keller can combine to provide 15/10 and D, there appears to be the sufficient quality at the 1-4 to be a good basketball team. If that trio craps out or is sporadic in their production, the ceiling lowers.

Carr also doesn’t need to be LaRavia. Last year’s team had 2 people we could trust to score. We seem to have a few more than that this year.

Back